Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 161 of 319
21 April 2014 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
What is interesting in current developments of language testing in systems such as the CFER or the CLB
(Canadian Language Benchmarks) is the complete absence of specific linguistic criteria. There is no mention of
specific vocabulary, grammar or accent requirements. Language proficiency is framed in terms of the ability to do
things using the language and not knowledge of the language per se.

As we go up the proficiency scale, the language used becomes more sophisticated, complex and nuanced, but
nowhere is there any requirement that specific linguistic items be used. As I said, I don't know of any tests that
ask for specific words. What the tests demand is that you have the ability to use the language in an adequate
manner in your field. The examiners for the oral test French of doctors here in Quebec are not doctors. How
much medical terminology do they know?

Could you pass the French C2 exam without using the subjunctive mood once? It seems unlikely, but why not?
You won't lose points if you don't use it. But you'll certainly lose points if you use it incorrectly.

The point of all this is that you are not being tested on how much language you know but what you can do with
the language. Logically we can assume that more vocabulary and grammar are better than less but there are no
minimum requirements at any given level.

Edited by s_allard on 21 April 2014 at 6:40pm

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4462 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 162 of 319
21 April 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
As I said, I don't know of any tests that ask for specific words.

I'm using the various JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) to measure my own
progress. Until the revision in 2010 (or thereabouts) there was a list of vocabulary
(and possibly grammar points) for each level. No more than some set percentage of the
vocabulary was supposed to be drawn from outside the published list. I'm not sure that
the JLPT is the same sort of test as those you've mentioned, but it was apparently used
to determine whether an overseas student was sufficiently proficient in Japanese to be
able to attend university in Japan.

s_allard wrote:
What the tests demand is that you have the ability to use the language
in an adequate
manner in your field. The examiners for the oral test French of doctors here in Quebec
are not doctors. How
much medical terminology do they know?

I presume that the test here would be to determine whether they could adequately
interact with patients and so abstruse medical terminology would not apply.
Understanding "I've got a problem with my waterworks, doctor", OTOH probably does very
much apply. Issues with domain-specific terminology would presumably be sorted out at
the interview by fellow professionals. That's more or less how things work when we're
hiring. We have a fair number of people in the office for whom English is not their
first language. As far as I know we don't check for any official language
qualifications: they either sink or swim at interview the same as anyone else.

s_allard wrote:
The point of all this is that you are not being tested on how much
language you know but what you can do with
the language.

Indeed. However, I'd be surprised if you can get to the stage when you can wield your
language like a C2-capable individual without having picked up rather a lot of grammar
and vocabulary along the way. Everyone agrees that it takes a good deal of time and
effort to reach C2 proficiency.

s_allard wrote:
Logically we can assume that more vocabulary and grammar are better
than less but there are no
minimum requirements at any given level.

I certainly agree with the first part. However, I think I have to disagree with the
second part. There appears to be documented evidence that knowledge of how to use ~1500
word families correctly will get me through such a test. I would posit that knowledge
of no words whatsoever would fail the test. Therefore, I conclude that there is a
minimum that will get me through the test, it's just unclear where along that line from
1 to 1500 it is. (For the record, I don't think one word will cut it either :-)). It is
also unclear how much more than this minimum you need to have picked up in order to
wield this minimum proficiently.

2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 163 of 319
21 April 2014 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
s_allard wrote:
As I said, I don't know of any tests that ask for specific words.

I'm using the various JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) to measure my own
progress. Until the revision in 2010 (or thereabouts) there was a list of vocabulary
(and possibly grammar points) for each level. No more than some set percentage of the
vocabulary was supposed to be drawn from outside the published list. I'm not sure that
the JLPT is the same sort of test as those you've mentioned, but it was apparently used
to determine whether an overseas student was sufficiently proficient in Japanese to be
able to attend university in Japan.

I think that in the Milton study mention was made of the fact that earlier versions of the CFER test materials had
vocabulary lists up to the B1 level. They have since been dropped. Neither is there any sort of prescribed
grammar inventory.

What we see at work here is the assumption that at a given level of proficiency or in a given occupational
environment there is a genre of written and spoken language that users must master. How this genre is acquired
and tested is another matter.

As I've often said here, my argument isn't with vocabulary size, it's more with the desire or need to test for
vocabulary size for our needs around here. I've argued that a small repertoire well used is a powerful arsenal but I
don't argue that you need a specific number.

I personally believe that too much importance is given to language testing. I fully understand the various
administrative reasons that underlie the testing mania but I think that people often learn best when they are
plunged into the real world and have to sink or swim. I'm not saying do away with language testing, I'm just
saying that this kind of testing should not become a tool for unjustified exclusion.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5329 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 164 of 319
21 April 2014 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Could you pass the French C2 exam without using the subjunctive mood once? It seems unlikely, but why not? You won't lose points if you don't use it. But you'll certainly lose points if you use it incorrectly.

My DELF B2 tutor specialized in exam prep, and she once worked for the Alliance Française. According to her, it is highly recommended for students taking the DELF B2 to use both the subjunctive and "if" phrases with concordance des temps in both the written section and the oral presentation. These are covered under the following sections of the scoring grid:

For those who don't read French, these sections score the candidate on being able to use a good variety of grammatical forms correctly and when appropriate, and the same for vocabulary. And according to my tutor, if you don't use the subjunctive at all, you're giving up points here. Yes, they don't mention it specifically. But in general, they're looking for a nice sample of things like that.

Edited by emk on 21 April 2014 at 9:42pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 165 of 319
21 April 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
The vocabulary is also tested in how the tasks are worded. They are typically very short, and there's not much context. If you need to rely on guessing for the reading part, you are going to lose points by misunderstanding a task or two.

BTW, for listening the vocabulary is even more crucial, as you normally get to listen only once. You can't skim to have a general idea, can't study the surrounding context for each unknown word, can't reread the beginning when at the end everything becomes more clear. The time limits prevent you from doing this too much with reading tasks, but with listening it's downright impossible.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 166 of 319
21 April 2014 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
s_allard wrote:
Could you pass the French C2 exam without using the subjunctive mood once?
It seems unlikely, but why not? You won't lose points if you don't use it. But you'll certainly lose points if you use
it incorrectly.

My DELF B2 tutor specialized in exam prep, and she once worked for the Alliance Française. According to her, it
is highly recommended for students taking the DELF B2 to use both the subjunctive and "if" phrases with
concordance des temps in both the written section and the oral presentation. These are covered under the
following sections of the scoring grid:

For those who don't read French, these sections score the candidate on being able to use a good variety of
grammatical forms correctly and when appropriate, and the same for vocabulary. And according to my tutor, if
you don't use the subjunctive at all, you're giving up points here. Yes, they don't mention it specifically. But in
general, they're looking for a nice sample of things like that.

As emk has correctly pointed out, the subjunctive mood - or any specific grammatical feature for that matter - is
not singled out in the examination criteria. According to emk's tutor, if you don't use the subjunctive, you are
giving up some points, i.e.
you are not getting some points that you could possibly get.

I think it's a good idea to use the subjunctive where it is called for, i.e. you start with a construction that requires
the subjunctive. But what did I say in the passage quoted? "You won't lose points if you don't use it" This is not
the same as making a big mistake by using it incorrectly and then losing points.

The tutor's thinking is essentially correct. You want to show your grammatical prowess. So you display what you
can do. Nothing wrong with this, but you can also show your skill in different ways. You can speak French very
well without using the subjunctive. In fact, it takes quite a bit of skill to do so. for example, if you want to really
impress the examiner, you could use vouloir que with the present tense to render an interesting nuance that is
too complicated to explain here.

Let's take the "if" or conditional construction. This is often a bit tricky because of the verb tenses that must be
used in the subordinate and main clauses. If you are going to use it, then try to get it right. But you should keep
in mind that "if" is only one of a number of ways in French to make hypothetical statements and can be avoided
completely.

Similarly, let's say you avoid the future tense by using the continuous form aller + verb in the spoken test. I don't
think you'll lose points.

Looking at the use of past tenses, will you get extra points because you use the passé simple in your writing
instead of the passé composé? Should you use the imperfect subjunctive to score bonus points? I'm not sure. In
spoken French, you could lose points. On the other hand, you would really impress your examiner if you use
what is called the historical present or the historical future when talking about past events.

The point of all this is that you have to look at things holistically. It is possible to speak elegant and sophisticated
French without using certain constructions. This is exactly why there are no specific grammar requirements in
the test description. That's the whole point of these "can do" statements that make up the CFER.

Edited by s_allard on 22 April 2014 at 9:26am

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 167 of 319
21 April 2014 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
For those who may be interested, here is an interesting article on mandatory language testing for all immigrants to
Canada, including those whose native language is French or English. This should make for some interesting results.
Man
datory language testing

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4087 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 168 of 319
22 April 2014 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
To withhold all use of the subjunctive in French, although to me it seems to use it
less than the major Romance languages, i.e. Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, and Italian
(«J'espère que... + indicatif» always seems extremely unintuitive for me), would to me
sound rather odd, since I always hear about Anglophones trying to avoid it since English rarely uses it. I fear that it might give the impression of the speaker trying
to avoid it altogether, which is the case, but not to display that one tries to do so.
It would be like avoiding the gerund or infinitive completely in English. It seems
actually easier to actually learn it than to learn how to avoid it. Grammatical mastery
and vocabulary reasonably wide in conjunction, with neither (hopefully not both)
lacking seem to me to be a rather reasonable compromise.

Also, that is interesting since I was thinking of immigrating to Canada too. What
happens
to native Anglophones or Francophones who fail their respective English or French
exams?

Edited by 1e4e6 on 22 April 2014 at 2:53am

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version