Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4929 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 1 of 7
08 April 2014 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
Hey guys, some people want me to teach them English in order to pass the TOEFL test. The matter is, I have never even taken that test yet, and they demand me to teach them English from the scratch. Now what I want to ask: What is the first thing needs to be taught when teaching certain language to someone? Is it subjects? Is it verbs? Is it nouns? Numbers? Or the most common words? If the answer is the last one, what are the most common words in English? Thanks for all your input.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 7
08 April 2014 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Say no. If they want someone to teach them a whole language they should go to a course or hire a personal teacher - they can't expect you to do it for free. And if you haven't the experience and maybe not even the education to do it you will both waste your time.

Edited by Iversen on 08 April 2014 at 12:51pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4238 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 3 of 7
08 April 2014 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
You can recommend they take formal classes but at the same time offer to give them tutoring privately.
If you have formal language training and a certificate, you can teach people for a fee. Otherwise you can
still offer help as a friend without charge.

Preparing people for a TOEFL test is more involved than learning simple sentences like subject, verb &
object. There are paragraphs you need to read and then answer questions based on your
comprehension. It would take more than half a year to get someone's language level up to intermediate
but still there is no guarantee they'd be able to pass the test. You can look through a sample TOEFL test
book to see the kids of questions being asked and make a decision whether you want to teach or not.

day1
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 3686 days ago

93 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 4 of 7
08 April 2014 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'd say NO unless it's really good friends with no money. Main reason is, what they want is something you're not very likely to be able to give them.

Not everyone who knows a language can teach it. Not everyone who is a native speaker can teach. Some people do turn out to be surprisingly good even with no prior teaching experience and no formal training, but they will definitely be the minority. Heck, even many people with a teacher's certificate and a few years of teaching experience are more suited to other kinds of work!

Assuming it's good friends who can not pay for any classes and want to learn from scratch (so you're their only way of learning), then you should just start from the scratch. Any decent beginner's textbook with a lot of exercises you can get will be OK. Start from there and see what happens. If someone knows no English whatsoever, even thinking of passing TOEFL should be put on hold - it will be months before even the simplest TOEFL mock (sample) tests should be even attempted.

EDIT: There are no shortcuts. Read this forum, search for ideas. Tell you friends how to do effective self-study. Help them as much as you can either by selecting topics/articles to discuss together, checking their writing for mistakes, practicing pronunciation. A teacher is just a guide that helps you stay on the path. Most work is still done by the student himself. At home. Sitting down and studying. Vocab, exercises, etc.

I've done some teaching (and studying) in my time. If a student just expects the teacher to miraculously TEACH them everything they'll ever need to know during short class hours, then they're doomed to fail.

Edited by day1 on 08 April 2014 at 6:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4894 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 5 of 7
08 April 2014 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
I've had students prepare for TOEFL before and it's basically where you're examined in
reading, listening, (then a mandatory 10 minute break) then speaking and writing.

You would need to ensure that you understand and are aware of the process to the exam and
what the general questioning styles are.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4929 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 6 of 7
09 April 2014 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
OK, thanks for all your inputs. Right, looks like I also have to learn it from the scratch. Btw, the English they use on TOEFL is American English, right?

Edited by Monox D. I-Fly on 09 April 2014 at 4:49am

day1
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 3686 days ago

93 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 7 of 7
09 April 2014 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
There are a lot of TOEFL practice test samples, TOEFL learning books, TOEFL vocabulary books, even more specifically TOEFL speaking practice books. For someone with a good English level it's just as simple as doing as many sample tests as necessary until you reach the desired score. That is how I have prepared for such standardized tests before. It worked for me - I tested above my actual language level. Several weeks before the test date all I did all day was practice tests (timed myself and all), with the result being that I passed the test better than I expected.

There might be some special ways to teach for the test, but I believe doing sample tests is a good way to do it. The only trick I know of is to teach the student how to do educated guesses. Faster reading comes with timed practice.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version