Netherlands
Joined 3836 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 5
09 April 2014 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi,
as part of my new language learning strategy I'm going to rely mainly on Assimil as
method but integrating it with extensive reading (without lookup), memrise (to learn
vocabulary) and comparative texts with audio.

I explain better myself: I can see how good works Assimil for me to assimilate the
language (I'm not talking about speaking the language, that is my phase 2). To
integrate I wanted to use the same system with other resources. I initially thought to
find other methods that provide dialogues with audio, target language and English or
french translations. I quickly discovered there is not too much. Living language can
work and maybe but already less also Colloquial.

Are there other resources (the best would be if they are native!) to do the same work?
Usually I listen the audio one/two times without reading the text, after I listen the
audio once or twice while reading the translation, then the same but with the target
language text and finally listen again the audio without reading like the first time.
That is the work I would like to do. I don't focus to understand and remember every
little part since you can get the meaning of sentences through specific keywords and
guess the rest from the context. My goal is to start studying grammar when I'm able to
understand quite well the language (or meanwhile if with that language I'm doing
classes,of course).

Right now I'm testing this method with Dutch and German. I'm not concerned by the
similarities in this stage: instead, these two languages form a continue so the more I
can understand German the more I can understand Dutch and viceversa.

Thank you in advance!
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 5
09 April 2014 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Yes, plenty. Choose a book, get it in your L1, in TL and an (unabridged!) audiobook in TL.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3836 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 3 of 5
09 April 2014 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
I thought about it... there is a problem with it. It's not very flexible. It would be better to have short texts of 1 to 5
minutes... more it is impractical...

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 4 of 5
10 April 2014 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Check out my "Free German audio" thread on this forum which I recently posted. There is
a reader which provides English translation of short passages, vocabulary, and audio.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 5 of 5
11 April 2014 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Check out Culture Talk (suggested originally by Chung).

There are also some Gloss lessons.

You will also get plenty of short dialogues at the pod101 lessons (though the lessons
themselves are long and with a lenghty English in the ealier stages).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version