Germany
Joined 3841 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 1 of 37
10 April 2014 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,
first I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Lucy from Germany, 19, currently studying
at University and therefore have basically no free time. At least sometimes
when lab work has to be done.
When I have some free time, I often spend it on the internet, reading through things I
like or just letting time pass without doing anything useful. I also like playing the
piano (which I often neglect because of the internet..), go cycling and hiking. And of
course, I like languages (I speak German of course and English - I think very well -
and some French - but I forgot a lot..). However, I don't know where to start and how
to go on, which resources are good and which not etc. But instead of just starting, I
read through the forum, how to start this, how to do that and never learn a thing about
my language..
This is why I started this log. I hope that I find supporting people here and that I do
more, when I write my success down and get support. Even if I only do 10 minutes a day.
This is at least not nothing..

So, currently I'm studying Spanish. I started a year ago at universtiy, but I didn't
like the courses. However, for my studies I had to do some soft skills and learning a
language was just the thing I liked to do.
However, now a year later, I still can't really talk Spanish or think Spanish or write
spanish. I can say my name, age etc. and what I study. The course was very student
based, so everything about studies and universities etc. But I couldn't order anything
in a restaurant or basic stuff like that, so I want to start all over.
I borrowed some books from the library, but I don't like them very much. It's just that
they don't have, what I want and I don't want to buy a course for 100€ to notice that I
don't like it..
Yesterday I thought about starting with the FSI Spanish Programmatic Course and
probably start today.
I also bought the first Harry Potter in Spanish, because I know the story by heart and
could at least follow the plot. And for the words I don't understand I look some of
them up in a dictionary and mark them there. If I have to look them up a third time
again, I'd put them into anki or similar, with the sentence the word appears in.
For grammar, I have the practice makes perfect complete grammar, but haven't started
yet.

So far, so good, I have to go to university now, so I may edit this post later or just
start a new one for posting how I did today :D

If you find any mistakes in my English, please tell me. I've been studying it for 10 or
11 years now, but there's still so much to learn :D

Greetings,
Lucy

Edited by Komma on 09 March 2015 at 11:20am

1 person has voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3841 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 2 of 37
10 April 2014 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Day 1:
So, I started FSI Programmatic, but stopped halfway through chapter one. I found it
quite boring and think this way of learning doesn't suit me. Maybe it gets better at
the end. Maybe the FSI basic course is better than the programmatic course (for me). I
may try the basic course tomorrow or next week (I'm not home for the weekend and on a
birthday celebration I can't take my laptop with me ^^)

So, basically I'm still looking for some suitable course for me. I think I try the one
I borrowed and just pick, what I want to learn. And start reading a bit of Harry Potter
and start building some vocab. Because vocab is something I can take with me.

I want to try Assimil from the library, but it won't be available until May. And it's
the old one. i wanted to save the audio and buy the book, so firstly, I support the
programm at least a bit, and secondly I can write into the book. But I think where I
buy it, only the new course will be available and this differs from the old ones,
doesn't it?

I'm also not sure if I want to try a used version of Teach yourself Spanish, which
wouldn't be the brand new version, but also not the very old one. Don't know if the
changes are resulting in a worse course, though... However 9€ are not much, so I could
try it.

EDIT: So, for reading Harry Potter, I thought of going through some past tenses and
just got myself an overview over perfecto, indefinido and imperfecto. So, while reading
I don't want to ignore the fact that books are written in past tenses and just try to
understand what's written. I want to TRY to get when what is used in the book.

Greetings

Edited by Komma on 11 April 2014 at 7:43am

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5647 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 3 of 37
10 April 2014 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
I think most people prefer the Basic course to the Programmatic one. The Basic course is more comprehensive, in any case.

You can find the old Spanish course (Spanish Without Toil or Spanisch ohne Mühe) at used book shops or online (for example, at Amazon). The audio can be downloaded online, since finding the records for them is probably a bit more difficult.

If you've already taken a year of Spanish, you will probably find the TY course too easy, especially if you're going to use FSI or Assimil later on, but it certainly won't hurt to go through it.

(EDIT: The old course is "Spanish Without Toil", not "Spanish With Ease")

Edited by Crush on 11 April 2014 at 3:31pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5044 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 4 of 37
10 April 2014 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Good to see you haven't lost interest and have started a log, Lucy :). Learning on one's own is a bit different than formal learning. There is freedom to choose. That freedom is a double-edged sword. It can take a while to find out what works best for a particular learning style.

I always recommend the multi-track approach to beginners. It has worked, and still works, for me. I know that you are a busy person and that your university studies must, obviously, take priority. Still, I think you may have the time to do a "light" multi-track approach. Try Assimil or FSI Basic and combine it with the video "course", Destinos- an introduction to Spanish on alternate days or in the morning and evening (if possible). That way, no matter how "boring" the course gets, you can have a "fun" activity to look forward to doing- and Destinos is designed for learners.

Try to look at it like your chemistry classes. Lab experiments are fun. Chemistry theory instruction may not be so much fun, but you need to know it if you're majoring in chemistry. There's no getting around it. With Spanish, you have to know about verb conjugations, adjective-noun agreement, vocabulary, etc. Having a free, 52 lesson, video course, like Destinos, with a sort of telenovela to follow could be your fun, as a beginner.

An analogy can be made to chemistry theory instruction and the experiments. If you never had a chemistry lab where you could do experiments to see how the theory works in the real world, you probably wouldn't like the theory and wouldn't appreciate the formal instruction. If you have something to look forward to like seeing the theory come to life in an experiment, the "dry, boring" instruction/drills will be seen as complimentary and useful.

So, just try to find a course that doesn't annoy you too much with the understanding that, as a beginner, there are certain things you will just have to learn (there can only be so much "fun" in memorizing/internalizing verb conjugations and grammar points). The fun comes from exploring and playing with the language elsewhere- perhaps with Destinos, maybe the lyrics training website, GLOSS, Twitter or even human beings.

(Destinos may be geo-coded outside North America, but there are ways around that, I'm sure ;) )

If I can help you, in any way, please ask. Good luck! ¡Buena suerte con tus estudios!

Edited by iguanamon on 11 April 2014 at 12:31am

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3841 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 5 of 37
11 April 2014 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
Hey, thank you for giving me the first advice and motivation posts :D
@cruch: so, you can download the audio extra on the assimil site? Or do you mean other
sites? I've never visited the french assimil site, because my norton says there would be
an unnoticible malicious background download...

@iguanamon: thanks for motivating me with Chemistry. That are really good parallels :D
And I definitely read through that article and see if I want to try that :)

I might not be able to learn much today or tomorrow, but on Sunday I should be back ;)

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3841 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 6 of 37
11 April 2014 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Day 2:
So, today I just started with Harry Potter 1, but I think it might be a bit too early
to do so. I mean, I don't just want to understand it.. I mean, I know the story by
heart, so of course I know, what it's all about etc.
And I don't want to look up every word which I don't know to build up vocabulary..
But I found the audiolibro to the book online on Youtube, which is great.

My plan for Spanish now looks like this: Trying out FSI Basic Spanish and Destinos.
When available I lend the newer Assimil course from the library and do this. I don't
know to which level the FSI course goes and to which Assimil, but it can't be bad to
review the basics again and then continue.
I also like to do vocab with Anki, however, I've not decided to do words or sentences
or both and on the same or different cards then. And how to treat synonyms etc.
For grammar, I try out my practice makes perfect book to practice after the grammar
shows up in whatever course or I just want to know whatever...
I might also chat with my Spanish speaking friend or when we manage that talk. However,
I don't like talking when I don't know anything to talk about...

And the plan is to do something everyday. Even if it's just reviewing some vocab..

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3841 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 7 of 37
14 April 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm back from the short weekend trip where I only could review a few anki cards
and because I only have 12 cards at the moment, that was not much.
Unfortunately, today university kept me working very long. So, I reviewed anki and now
write a log post.

I joined Team Lobo in the TAC 2014. And for this challenge, I want to point out a few
goals.

1. I want to do at least 10 minutes of Spanish every day, no matter what I do.
2. I want to learn the most common words to do a basic conversation (when I reach that,
I'll set the goal to more)
3. I want to learn the grammar for basic conversation, including sentence building in
present tense, future tense and starting past tenses.
4. I want to watch the Destinos videos.
5. When I get Assimil, I'd like to do this. For now, I start with the suboptimal course
for basic Spanish I already have.
6. I want to chat with my Spanish friend.

That's enough for the moment, I think. Maybe the goals are not that well formed, but
I'm actually an absolute beginner on defining goals :D

Edit: I just watched the first episode of Destinos. And did the vocab and grammar,
which I actually already knew, but reviewing was good. This seems to be fun :D

EDIT2: I want to start reading Harry Potter y la piedra Filosofal in September. That's
when I'm in Spain and despite watching Spanish TV, I want to use a bit of time every
day to read a section.
Until then, I should know the past and present tenses which are commonly used in books.
So I need to understand them and know how to build them at least for the regular verbs
and common irregular ones.
I also need a good basis of vocab, so I don't have to look up everything.

Edited by Komma on 27 April 2014 at 1:52pm

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3841 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 8 of 37
22 April 2014 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
So, now that the forum is back, I can post again.
Since the last entry I haven't done very much, but I reviewed my anki cards every day and
watched the second and third episode of Destinos.
It's really interesting and I understand quite a lot. But understanding in general is not
my problem, but the active part of the language. However, therefore I often need
vocabulary..

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version