United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 1 of 10
12 April 2014 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I recently wrote a blog post about 32 lessons that language learning has taught me over the years. It's been quite popular on Facebook and Reddit so I thought I might share it here and see what you think.

Did I miss any big ones? Do you guys disagree with any of them?

32 Lessons That Language Learning has Taught Me

I'd love to get some feedback from you guys (and girls).
4 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 10
12 April 2014 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Good job. Most of them are not very controversial, except, #25, "there is no such thing as a "hard" or
"easy" language.. In the bigger context, perhaps it's fine..   But for someone not sure whether to start
Spanish or Japanese, there is a difference.
3 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 3 of 10
12 April 2014 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Good job. Most of them are not very controversial, except, #25, "there is no such thing as a "hard" or
"easy" language.. In the bigger context, perhaps it's fine..   But for someone not sure whether to start
Spanish or Japanese, there is a difference.

Right there I might have to disagree. If a first-timer was super-motivated to learn Japanese and was fascinated with the culture and willing to put forth the effort, he/she would (I think) have a much easier time with Japanese than with Spanish (assuming no real intrinsic interest or motivation towards Spanish).

Granted there are elements are every language that may be more difficult or simple to grasp for some people (depending on the native language) but my point is not to worry about any of that stuff because motivation and passion are the most important elements (to me anyway).

Edit: Super bad spelling.

Edited by BaronBill on 12 April 2014 at 8:23pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4077 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 4 of 10
12 April 2014 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
I assume that this only applies to Anglophones, but people who start by being bilingual
or otherwise multilingual, either by choice or (more likely) by compulsory primary and
secondary education, especially in Europe, already have less languages that are
"difficult" compared to a monolingual, especially a monolingual Anglophone. Someone who
is 15 years old and speaks French, Dutch, German, and English from attending schooling
in Belgium or the Netherlands probably would have to redefine "hard", as more languages
might be easier for them.

However, I as a monolingual Anglophone at 13 years old, found Mandarin (supposedly a
hard language) easier than French (supposedly easy) in general whilst starting both
simultaneously, even taking account the writing system, despite having no background in
any language. I had less problems pronouncing Mandarin, even with its tones, than
French with its nasal and silent sounds. At one point, my written and reading
comprehension was even better than my French one, despite often not even studying
Mandarin very much. The only reason my French superceded my Mandarin at present is that
I compeltely abandoned Mandarin in 2007 because I lost all interest, but decided to
continue French. And I still have some big problems pronouncing French.

It probably depends more on personal strengths and weaknesses more. When I did my maths
degree for undergraduate, I found partial differential equations easier than number
theory and probability, where I had problems, although the former is supposedly more
difficult.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 12 April 2014 at 11:01pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 5 of 10
13 April 2014 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Number 5 on the list:
Quote:
Not everyone is as fascinated by languages as I am.

I've definitely experienced this a lot. The most off-hand mention of language learning can incite me to want to talk someone's ear off about it, even if it's one of my fellow university students who is probably taking the class just to fulfill a requirement. :-)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4696 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 6 of 10
14 April 2014 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Number 5 on the list:
Quote:
Not everyone is as fascinated by languages as I am.

I've definitely experienced this a lot. The most off-hand mention of language learning can incite me to want to talk someone's ear off about it, even if it's one of my fellow university students who is probably taking the class just to fulfill a requirement. :-)

At least you're a student. You sort of have an excuse to learn languages. People assume it's part of your "career track". Try being a middle-aged adult learning a language which has nothing to do with their work, just because they want to. In that sentence, I am "they". People assume it's a tiny effort on my part. I think if they knew how much time I gave to language study, they would consider putting me away. Very occasionally, someone is impressed with the idea that an adult would learn a foreign language. But they are either odd themselves (or just being polite!)
4 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4973 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 7 of 10
15 April 2014 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
Very nice post, I sent it to my friend who wants to learn Spanish, but believes she
can't. I don't know if it'll convince her of anything, though! I'll keep an eye on your
blog. (As a side note, ever since I got chromebook I have all these new characters on the
international keyboard, but I have to be careful with *'ll or I end up with ĺ.)

And yes, I have that problem blabbing on about languages too. In fact I do that with all
my interests. I think most people find it interesting, but it starts to wear out my
family sometimes.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6337 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 8 of 10
15 April 2014 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
First, it was a nice post, and I agreed with the majority of it. Here is my number seven for you:
8 - not even worth mentioning. People that come to forums asking which one to learn will most likely not succeed,
because they don't have enough three. People that have a lot of three don't need eight.
10 - nope. Balance, balance, balance.
11 - nope. Method is very important. There are a lot of crazy ones out there, and ones that will just not fit a given
individual. Many methods can work for a person, but many can fail too.
19 - true, but if you want, you can stop studying at some point. It's ok.
20 - bizarre statement which I've heard before. Sure, it's possible to invent a scenario in which this is true, but it's
quite easy to disagree with as a general statement.
25 - nope. Again, you can make up a situation where this is true, but the general case isn't. Otherwise, the FSI chart
would have the same numbers for all languages.
31 - huh? Why say one is more important than the other? Is it some sort of competition. Yay - go long term!
32 - it's not necessary to "create" fun. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it isn't, just like life.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version