Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4037 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 1 of 7
13 April 2014 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
1) Is there any other 1st generation advanced course (la pratique) other than German,
Spanish and Dutch?

2) Are there only 2 generations of advanced courses? Has Using French been ever largely
modified after it was first published?

3) Is there any other 1st generation course (Without Toil) besides the followings?
English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, and Russian

Thank you.

Edited by Paco on 13 April 2014 at 1:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

linguaholic_ch
Triglot
Groupie
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4808 days ago

69 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English, Hindi, Bengali
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 7
13 April 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 

There is one more course for French called Business French and it is for that purpose (
advanced ) .Advanced courses are there in other languages as L1. Like "Perfectionamente"
and etc. Without Pain courses like Sanskrit,Latin,Egyptian,Ancient Greek and Persian is
also there but in the French base.

But there are Assimil courses for Chinese(M) and Japanese, which are for beginners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assimil . This page has it all.
1 person has voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4014 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 7
13 April 2014 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
I created a topic Generations of Assimil a while back compiling all available information I could find on different Assimil generations.

Paco wrote:
1) Is there any other 1st generation advanced course (la pratique) other than German,
Spanish and Dutch?

I believe there's an English course as well, but I have very little information about it.

Paco wrote:

2) Are there only 2 generations of advanced courses? Has Using French been ever largely modified after it was first published?

There are 3 generations of advanced courses, German, Italian, Russian, all have a 3rd generation course and possibly English as well. German is the only language to have a different advanced course in all 3 generations.

There's only 1 Using French course to my knowledge.

Paco wrote:

3) Is there any other 1st generation course (Without Toil) besides the followings?
English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, and Russian

Thank you.

It might be better to classify some of these as "late 1st geneartion" courses, where the format was largely the same but the courses seem to have come out decades after the originals. But there's also Serbo-Croatian, Esperanto, Latin, Greek, and Hebrew.

Antillean Creole (Le Créole Guadeloupeén), Breton, Catalan, Corsican, and Occitian I believe were made sometime in the late 1st generation period though they're not quite the same as other 1st generation courses, but they don't have any of the 2nd generation features either.

Edited by YnEoS on 13 April 2014 at 4:08pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5325 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 7
13 April 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
I can confirm that there is 'La pratique d'anglais' that carries on from the original.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4014 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 5 of 7
13 April 2014 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
I can confirm that there is 'La pratique d'anglais' that carries on from the original.

Do you happen to know how many lessons it has? Is it a different course than the 63 lesson
Perfectionnement Anglais?

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5325 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 6 of 7
13 April 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Its in my loft, but it most certainly is a different course to the current one.

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4037 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 7 of 7
31 May 2014 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Thank all of you for your information, especially the "Generations" thread, which I find
very informative.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version