Greece
Joined 3649 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 9 of 28
17 May 2014 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
SnowManR1 wrote:
Also if you can't read Hebrew I know of an awesome book that can teach you in no time and costs very little.

I'd like that tip as well if possible, as I am in that very situation you describe. :)

Thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4825 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 28
18 May 2014 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Hello Everybody, I don't know where Snowman has been for the past few days; so, I'll give you the recommendation he gave me in a PM. The book is: Teach Yourself to Read Hebrew by Simon and Anderson. In addition to Snowman's recommendation, the book has really glowing reviews on Amazon. Snowman suggests that it's best to get the book with its accompanying CD. It's also available without the CD. It all sounds good. Thank you, Snowman.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3649 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 28
18 May 2014 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
Thank you :)

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6926 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 12 of 28
20 May 2014 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I know the book and can recommend it. The EKS books on Biblical and prayerbook Hebrew are excellent - I have them both.
3 persons have voted this message useful

AML
United States
Joined 6605 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 13 of 28
21 May 2014 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
For what it's worth, if you're looking for recommendations, I still think TeachMeHebrew.com is the best Hebrew-learning site out there.
2 persons have voted this message useful

SnowManR1
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5268 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 14 of 28
27 May 2014 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for my lack of involvement. For some reason I wasn’t being notified from HTLAL that people were still making comments on this topic. Here was the original PM I sent to jpazz:

There’s a book from EKS Publishing that is unmatched in every single way and believe me when I say I have every single book on Modern Hebrew known to man. I’ve literally gone through the beginning chapters on each and every course book and they all fail in comparison. Beware though, this book can be sold as “book only” and “CD’s only” so make sure you get both. The link I’m providing is the one for both. After I completed the first round I was fairly confident, but after going through it twice I was very confident and because Hebrew is an exotic language I say do it as many times as it takes. I’ve personally gone through the course 4-5 times.

http://www.ekspublishing.com/hebrew-alphabet/teach-yourself- to-read-hebrew-book-and-cd-set

jpazzz: Did you get my PDF I sent you?

AML: I agree with you about TeachMeHebrew.com, but I stopped using it because the Hebrew didn’t have Nikkud. I know native materials don’t use them, but until I’m knocking on C1’s door I chose to just use the materials with Nikkud to ensure I’m pronouncing them correctly.

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4825 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 28
28 May 2014 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
Hello Snowman,

I'd wondered why I hadn't heard from you further. Apparently you have not been receiving your PMs from HTLAL. Yes, I got the Pdf you sent and thanked you for it the day it arrived. It was kind of you to take the time and I appreciate it. The Pdf, by the way, is material I already have, but that fact in no way diminishes your kindness in taking the time and making the effort to send it. And I'd really like to hear your critiques of other Hebrew courses.

Cheers,
John

shapd
United Kingdom
Joined 5929 days ago

126 posts - 208 votes 
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Modern Hebrew, French, Russian

Message 16 of 28
28 May 2014 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Just so Snowman's comments on TeachMeHebrew.com don't put people off, it does have both transliteration and audio for the dialogues and transliteration for the frequency list. The lack of nikkud should not be a serious problem, and everything in Hebrew apart from religious and children's books is printed without nikkud anyway. I regard the lack as a positive feature.

I will certainly be using the site to brush up my Hebrew before going there this summer. The standard reached is actually remarkably high for a small online course and should allow use of the large number of GLOSS files afterwards. The frequency list is also valuable to highlight gaps in knowledge, though I would not use it as a primary learning source.

For those at an intermediate standard, there are a couple of newspapers with nikkud available on line. Some have ceased publication but still have sample copies available. Look for Yanshuf and Shaar.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version