Jpazzz: I appreciate that.

ISBN-13: 978-965-91699-0-0

Purchased: www.myhebrewbooks.com

Title: Sichon-Hebrew English Conversation Book

Rating: 7 out of 10

Range: Beginner - Intermediate

Vocabulary: 500

Sentences: 1,000

Positive/Overall: This course shares many similarities to the format used by Assimil. It starts off with a dialogue in the Hebrew text, but instead of using a side-by-side translation they provide the learner with a vocabulary list on the following page containing all the words within the dialogue that was just presented to you. I found this to be more interactive and challenging, but I prefer a direct translation to the text.

After the dialogue it goes through some vocabulary and fill-in-the-blank exercises along with the occasional introduction to slang and culture. However I probably should mention that there’s no formal instruction to grammar, nouns, etc. This course uses the same methods Assimil uses minus the 7th lesson grammar notes.

Negative/Specifics:

1. I definitely prefer a direct translation to the text versus having to piece together the main idea through a vocabulary list. Otherwise I would have given this course an 8 or even a 9.

2. I didn’t care for the slang section, because it was using Arabic words. I never fully understood why, because there are plenty of words for slang deeply rooted in Hebrew.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4831 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 28
13 June 2014 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
Hello Snowman, From your description of Sichon-Hebrew, it sounds very like the format followed by the Teach Yourself series, including Teach Yourself Modern Hebrew. If you're familiar with Teach Yourself Modern Hebrew, perhaps you might explain how the Sichon-Hebrew differs. I'd appreciate it.

Best.
John
1 person has voted this message useful

SnowManR1
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5274 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 27 of 28
16 June 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
jpazzz: I could definitely do that for you.

ISBN-13: 978-9659068517

Purchased: www.engheb.com

Title: English Hebrew by Subject

Rating: 10 out of 10

Range: Beginner - Advanced

Vocabulary: 12,000

Sentences: N/A

Positive/Overall: I discovered this book about 3 months into my Hebrew journey and I just think the world of it. It’s my primary vocabulary resource and it covers everything from kitchen ware to the hard sciences. I’ve reviewed this thing from cover to cover and other than troll dolls, saran wrap and photon torpedoes it’s got everything you could think of.

It has a simple design which starts out each chapter under a main heading (Education, House, Politics, Health, etc.) and includes several sections of various topics, nouns, adjectives, verbs, etc. I also like how all professions, animals, positions, etc. are provided in both genders and the verbs are given in the infinitive along with the 3rd person masculine past tense in order to facilitate verb conjugation in all tenses.

Negative/Specifics:

1. The book comes with an MP3 audio CD, but don’t buy this from www.myhebrewbooks.com. The CD’s in this specific batch of books has somehow been exposed to heat or something and I tried 3 different times (stupid…I know) and each time the CD would not work. After my failures I decided to buy this directly from the publisher and it worked immediately.

Extra: Please don’t let this discourage you from buying from MyHebrewBooks. They’re awesome, but something has happened to those discs for this particular book.

Edited by SnowManR1 on 16 June 2014 at 6:27pm

SnowManR1
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5274 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 28 of 28
17 June 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
ISBN-13: 978-0415240482

Purchased: www.amazon.com

Title: Colloquial Hebrew

Rating: 6 out of 10

Range: Beginner - Intermediate

Vocabulary: N/A

Sentences: N/A

Positive/Overall: The course starts out with a dialogue, followed by a transliteration and ending with a full translation. By now you know how I feel about transliteration, so I won’t comment any further on it. Once you complete the dialogue there’s a vocabulary list followed by a series of exercises that introduces the grammar and cultural information at a comfortable rate.

As you move through the book there’s usually 2-3 dialogues per chapter accompanied by sentence exercises and the like. Plus at about the midway point they start to remove the transliteration from within the chapter and place it in the appendix, which I suppose was done to remove the dependency and increase confidence.

Negative/Specifics:

1. The Colloquial series has an intermediate to advance series for more of the “popular” languages, but sadly the Hebrew course does not.

Note: This course does not use nikkud in any of the exercises or dialogues, but I still chose to use this course to gain familiarity with the traditional format of the Hebrew print.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version