Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 113 of 270
26 May 2008 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Leopejo, for the corrections, I do appreciate it. One question though - my book said that 'ni' and 'nsa' and the other suffixes are added to the Genitive root of the word, that's why I wrote 'kukani' and 'nukensa'. Is my book wrong again? Or is it a partly Genitive root - vowels changed and consonants unchanged?
1 person has voted this message useful

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5896 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 114 of 270
27 May 2008 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Thanks, Leopejo, for the corrections, I do appreciate it. One question though - my book said that 'ni' and 'nsa' and the other suffixes are added to the Genitive root of the word, that's why I wrote 'kukani' and 'nukensa'. Is my book wrong again? Or is it a partly Genitive root - vowels changed and consonants unchanged?

I hope that someone more knowledgeable chimes in: while Finnish is one of my native languages, I only attended three years of school in Finland and I never got interested into learning its grammar.

Sanna
Diglot
Finland
Joined 6051 days ago

25 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Italian, Swedish, Hungarian, French

Message 115 of 270
29 May 2008 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Now when I think about that genetive thing...I would say consonants do not change. Vowels may change.
For example:
a doll - nukke, my doll - nukkeni, but:
a bay - lahti, my bay - lahteni (sorry I didn't make up a better example)

But.. when the doll is the owner, also consonants may change.
For example:
a flower of the doll - nuken kukka

I hope you understood, Evita :)

Sanna
Diglot
Finland
Joined 6051 days ago

25 posts - 25 votes

Message 116 of 270
29 May 2008 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Hi again,
I'd just like to say something one more time :D
I think you can say words like 'bussi' or 'finlandese' when you speak (may be better to you too not confuse the other people) but in formal text it's different. You should know the words 'linja-auto' and 'finnico' and use them in a formal text. That's how I think.

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5896 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 117 of 270
29 May 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Sanna wrote:
Hi again,
I'd just like to say something one more time :D
I think you can say words like 'bussi' or 'finlandese' when you speak (may be better to you too not confuse the other people) but in formal text it's different. You should know the words 'linja-auto' and 'finnico' and use them in a formal text. That's how I think.

Regarding linja-auto you are right, but is formal text what we want to teach to beginning foreigners?

On finnico I can't agree, sorry :-)

Sanna
Diglot
Finland
Joined 6051 days ago

25 posts - 25 votes

Message 118 of 270
29 May 2008 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Well, maybe you know better;)
I don't mean the beginners should learn formal language if they don't need it. But quite often you need to know more than just spoken language.

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5896 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 119 of 270
29 May 2008 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Sanna wrote:
Well, maybe you know better;)
I don't mean the beginners should learn formal language if they don't need it. But quite often you need to know more than just spoken language.

No, I don't know better, I just give my ill-informed opinion :-D

And I would put linja-auto in my Beginners Finnish course. Not because it's formally more correct, but because it is used widely. But I would teach bussi as well, because, formal or not, it is part of the live language, not only of the spoken one.

Wilma
Triglot
Zimbabwe
Joined 5948 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, Swedish, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 120 of 270
07 June 2008 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Hei!

Pakko osallistua tähän bussi/ linja-auto -keskusteluun koska minulla on kerrankin vahva mielipide ;) Mielipiteeni on se, että Serpent sanoi jo oleellisen: bussit ovat kaupunkiliikenteen kulkuneuvoja ja linja-autot kulkevat kaupunkien ja taajamien välillä ja ulkopuolella. Oulussa ja Helsingissä kulkee busseja mutta Helsingistä mennään Ouluun linja-autolla. Helsingissä ei ihan oikeasti koskaan puhuta tai kirjoiteta linja-autoista jos tarkoitetaan kaupungin sisäistä liikennettä. Ei edes Helsingin Sanomien pääkirjoituksessa. Laki- ja hallintokielen termeihin "bussi" tuskin kuuluu, mutta lakikieli onkin ihan oma kielen osa-alueensa.       

This discussion contains 270 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version