Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3859 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 9 of 24
21 April 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
if you care only about E, study only E. If you want to understand them all you can study them together. If you want
to speak all of them, study them one at the time. You need to be clear with your goals so that you can decide what
to do.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 24
22 April 2014 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
But be careful with that last part. Before you decide between starting Basque or Georgian in 2019, make sure you're on track with your goal for April 2014.

Edited by Serpent on 22 April 2014 at 12:32am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 24
22 April 2014 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
I hope that I'm through my mostly Indoeuropean 2014 agenda by 2019 - and I could imagine that Basque and/or Georgian then would be relevant targets. Btw. Georgian is part of a language family too, but I have never seen any materials for its relatives, so learning Georgian would in practice be like studying a linguistic isolate. On the other hand Bahasa Indonesia is just the easy entrance to the Austronesian language family so there the family benefits might apply.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4065 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 24
22 April 2014 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica wrote:
Someone once told me you shouldn't view target languages individually. Instead, you
should group your targets by language family and then learn the targets in each family.
Only then do you 'cross' into a new language family

Thoughts?

I say you should do as you best see fit. I am an advocate of that line of thinking, however.
1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5040 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 13 of 24
22 April 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica wrote:
I would say learn one language in that family at a time

Granted, I'm just not sure why you'd believe learning languages in order, say (where the same letter marks the same family)--A1 A2 A3 B--would be any faster than learning them in the order--A1 A2 B A3.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 14 of 24
22 April 2014 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I hope that I'm through my mostly Indoeuropean 2014 agenda by 2019 - and I could imagine that Basque and/or Georgian then would be relevant targets. Btw. Georgian is part of a language family too, but I have never seen any materials for its relatives, so learning Georgian would in practice be like studying a linguistic isolate. On the other hand Bahasa Indonesia is just the easy entrance to the Austronesian language family so there the family benefits might apply.

There are materials for Georgian's relatives, but they are likely to be in...Georgian =D
I think I've seen a grammar of Mingrelian somewhere. On the other hand, even though kartvelian and North-Caucasian are no longer considered to be related, I do plan to dabble into some North-Caucasian languages spoken in Georgia, such as Avar and Abkhaz, and for these there are resources in Russian and Georgian.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3859 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 15 of 24
22 April 2014 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
FuroraCeltica wrote:
I would say learn one language in that
family at a time

Granted, I'm just not sure why you'd believe learning languages in order, say (where
the same letter marks the same family)--A1 A2 A3 B--would be any faster than learning
them in the order--A1 A2 B A3.

I guess there can be specific cases. For example I'm going through the Germanic family,
which the members (I'm certainly forgetting some) are:
- German
- Dutch
- Norwegian (Bokmal)
- Norwegian (Nynorsk)
- Swedish
- Danish
- Icelandic
- Faroese
- Yiddish
- Frisian
- Swiss German
- Afrikaans
- ...?

Since they are a lot I cannot study them all.
I have two main targets, German and Dutch. I choose to do them because I have stronger
interest in them than in the rest of the family (with the exception of Icelandic). I
will probably never study Yiddish or Frisian, while probably with a good command of
Dutch studying also Afrikaans can be redundant.
I decided to add Norwegian (Bokmal) as first member of the scandinavian branch. In this
case I have the same motivations for Norwegian, Swedish and Danish and I started with
Norwegian for a pragmatic reason: according to studies on mutual intelligibility
between those three, the Norwegians are the one with the better understanding of both
written and spoken language with the others (the joke says: the norwegian understands
the swede and the dane, the swede understands the norwegian and the dane understand
himself - I don't know wheter is true or not :) ). It appears that in this case the
pragmatic route to follow is norwegian - swedish - danish. I have a strong interest of
Icelandic but I decided to postpone because
- I'm already studying German that it is hard
- There are too few good resources to learn the language; but using the sharp gained by
studying norwegian, swedish and danish in theory can make the passive assimilation part
smoother and quickier, while the grammar stays problematic.
- For who wants to study Faroese, there are even less resources then with Icelandic.

This consideration makes sense until I don't discover that studying norwegian danish
and swedish doesn't engage me in a way that makes the effort fruitful.

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4065 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 16 of 24
23 April 2014 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Well there are materials for Icelandic and Faroese in all the Nordic languages as well as German. There's more than enough stuff in English to get started with Icelandic as well. I am covering the Germanic family as well, but I study them in North-West pairs, for example German-Icelandic, Dutch-Faroese, etc.

Once my knowledge of Russian is strong enough, I should be able to quite easily branch out to the other East Slavic languages, whence I would then go to the West Slavic and finally to the South Slavic languages. It'll take me at least a year more of Russian study to get to a level that I'd feel confident enough to branch outwards though. Or maybe I would study one language of each branch at a time, like Ukrainian-Polish-BCSM, who knows really.

I would also like to learn the Romance family.

These are all just illusions of grandeur more than "plans" but given fertile circumstances it could happen. The point in learning families is of course that learning closely related languages is always less of a hassle than starting completely anew, and one could argue that you'd "deserve" to get something easy after learning the laborous first language of a certain family ;) Also once you learn the first language of a family you don't only learn a language, but you learn a lot about the family as well, and lot of this knowledge is transferrable to the rest of the family.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version