Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 185 of 195
23 May 2015 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Well, I have the bilingual version (it's parallel by left and right) and yes, I am reading them in Greek. However, because the pages are split in half do I need to read at least 100 pages instead of 50 to consider it one book?
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 186 of 195
23 May 2015 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Well, I have the bilingual version (it's parallel by left and right) and yes, I am reading them in Greek. However, because the pages are split in half do I need to read at least 100 pages instead of 50 to consider it one book?

You need to read 50 pages of Greek to count 50 pages of Greek, simple as that. If the pages are half your target language and half translation, then yes it seems reasonable to count each page as half.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 187 of 195
24 May 2015 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
Okay then, challenge accepted.

LANGUAGE: Greek

CHALLENGE: Half

CURRENT LEVEL: Less than A1

COMMENTS: Can only read letters as well as know some meanings of words used in scientific fields. I don't even know what's the difference in pronouncing eta and epsilon.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 188 of 195
24 May 2015 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
Do you know how to say the names of the letters eta and epsiolon? Then the difference is right there in the first letters. Epsilon is usually a short e like in 'pet' and eta sounds like a long a as in 'rate' or 'hair'. That applies to both the "Erasmian" pronunciation and to the reconstructed version used by JACT. I have no clue about modern pronunciation. Which leads me to mention: you should specify ancient Greek rather than just Greek (unless you're planning to read both).

Have you thought of anything you could use for the "film" portion, or will you only be reading? One option is The Cambridge Greek Play which they put on every few years. Some of them are available to watch. You can also use audio for the film portion, but audio books in ancient Greek are hard to come by.

Edited by Jeffers on 24 May 2015 at 12:22pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 189 of 195
24 May 2015 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
OK, thank you. For the "film" part, today I watched Dragon Ball OVA in Greek subs and the first episode of Digimon Adventure Zero Two (dubbed as Digimon Next Generation) in Greek dub. Each are about 30 minutes. Which one counts as a third of a film?

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 190 of 195
24 May 2015 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
OK, thank you. For the "film" part, today I watched Dragon Ball OVA in Greek subs and the first episode of Digimon Adventure Zero Two (dubbed as Digimon Next Generation) in Greek dub. Each are about 30 minutes. Which one counts as a third of a film?

Just send your stats to the twitter bot. It will calculate the amount of the film for you. SO you can just tweet:
@langchallenge #Greek #30 minutes "Digimon Adventure Zero Two"
@langchallenge #Greek #30 minutes "Dragon Ball OVA"

And it will add up the minutes and do all the calculations for you.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 191 of 195
24 May 2015 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Are you reading the Elements in modern Greek, or are you counting ancient and modern together? I thought counting Swiss German as German was enough of a stretch...

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 192 of 195
24 May 2015 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
I count ancient and modern Greek together.

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version