195 messages over 25 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 24 25 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 195
20 April 2014 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Expugnator, it doesn't have to be video. And subtitles also count. But simply rejecting your native language (and possibly English) makes a huge difference. I'm going to watch around 50 "videos" during the World Cup :P
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 18 of 195
20 April 2014 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Well yeah, I'm considering audio too, still, it's 30 minutes a day with my ears busy -
for each language. I don't listen to 2 hours a day in my native language or English. I
don't even watch TV at home, so it's not like I have time to 'convert'.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 19 of 195
20 April 2014 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Spanish

CHALLENGE: Full

CURRENT LEVEL: C1-C2

---------------

LANGUAGE: Catalan

CURRENT LEVEL: B2

---------------

LANGUAGE: Italian

CURRENT LEVEL: B1

---------------

Like the others, i feel like the reading portion will be the easier part as it's already a part of my daily routine. I'll just be keeping track of my progress in my log rather than bothering with a Twitter account.
2 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4797 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 20 of 195
20 April 2014 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:

Many of these shows are terrible though, like Ramayana where half the show is spent
showing fireworks in between arrows.

Bharat ek Khoj is good, as is Malgudi Days.

Come on, this is Chanakya we're talking about. One of the best shows ever made. Though the Hindi is heavily Sanskritised. But that adds to its charm. :)
The fireworks you mention represent the best SFX from the Golden Age of Indian television. These TV shows are all classics. Would you rather watch Ekta Kapoor's Nayabharata? LOL :)
They don't make TV shows like that any more. All we're left with now are soaps. *sigh*

Edited by napoleon on 20 April 2014 at 5:26am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 195
20 April 2014 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
Dear native speakers, please just accept that we are ready to consume a horrible amount of horrible content :-) This was said in a different context, but don't expect the average Joe to become better than average Juan when he learns L2/moves abroad.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4032 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 22 of 195
20 April 2014 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Spanish

CHALLENGE: ( FULL, HALF) I will try for the full challenge

CURRENT LEVEL: An estimator that I found online says that I'm not even A1, but I question that, as I regularly read National Geographic En EspaƱol while understanding about 90% without having to look up words. If I were to guess, perhaps A2 for passive, and A1 for speaking.

COMMENTS: I'll probably end up doing a lot of reading and end up watching Frozen in Spanish a bajillion times :-). Then again, if regular television counts, I'll probably get a lot covered while watching the Spanish version of CNN. I hope to progress to podcasts as my listening skills improve... there is a site I think I have bookmarked somewhere that has a lot of podcasts that I'd love to listen to.

csidler
Diglot
Pro Member
Australia
chadsidler.com
Joined 4604 days ago

51 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 195
20 April 2014 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: German
Challenge: FULL
Current Level: C1 Speaking, B2 Everything else.

Comments: I really want to solidify my German and take it to the next level. At the beginning of 2015 I will be
moving to Switzerland to live and work, So I feel I can try and get the majority of the Super-Challenge for German
done this year to allow me to then focus more on the other languages next year (maybe). I think the 100 films will
be easy, and I'm looking forward to having a reason/motivation to dedicate time towards reading. I have lots of
books in German, but never make the time to read them.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------
LANGUAGE: Italian.

Current Level: Unsure. Probably a Solid A1.

Comments: I've had the occasional thing to do with Italian over the past few years. I did some at school from 2002-
2005, did a little bit in 2009, and started up again with it this year. Italian is probably the language I least have the
"need" for, but have always enjoyed it. I know i'm crazy saying 3 full challenges, but we will just wait and see how
things go.

-- ------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------
LANGUAGE: FRENCH

Current Level: Nothing.

Comments: Never really had much to do with French. It's a language I may need for work so I hope to get it to a
decent level. If I could have my French and Italian at the same level as my German, I would be a very happy person.

--------------

3 full challenges is probably a very stupid idea. I have always wanted to be fluent in the 3 main languages of
Switzerland, and in January 2015 I'll be moving to Switzerland to live. So nothing like some good old fashioned
motivation. I think it is always better to set the bar high and fall short then to just set the bar low and not achieve
much!

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5024 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 24 of 195
20 April 2014 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Japanese

Current Level: Really not sure as there's a very big gulf between passive and active. Between A2-B1 probably.

Comments: I got 65 (old counting) books and 90 movies last time round, so should be able to make it this time. I'm going to aim for a fair amount more books, and a small amount more for the films. I've just come back from a month in Japan, so brought lots of cool books back with me. My main aim is to get comfortable with books in Japanese and get rid of the idea that they are much more difficult than manga.

--------------------------------

LANGUAGE: French

Challenge: Full

Current Level: Somewhere in the Bs.

Comments: Given my success in upping my Dutch level with the last challenge, I think this method really works for languages with a good base, so hoping to see a good improvement here. I did a half challenge for French last year, and thought the lower intensity was harmful for my motivation, so aiming for a bit more this time round. I've a fair amount of media, and will be following up some of the great recommendations that came out last time.

-------------------------------------

I'll be doing intensive reading/watching in German and Dutch as well as some in Spanish, but don't want to sign up for challenges in them as German and Dutch are more about maintenance and Spanish is really just flirting. Once I get back into the swing of things, I'll update those in my log. I'll be using the bot for French and Japanese.

Edited by Tamise on 20 April 2014 at 11:18am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version