155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 25 of 195
20 April 2014 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: French

Challenge: FULL

Current Level: Upper B1-Lower B2

Comments:I'll probably add Dutch and English later, mostly for tracking reasons, without any specific goal in the moment. My priority is French in the moment, and I'd rather aim for a double challenge in French than for a half one in Dutch or English.

I am going to start with the reading part, for two reasons: 1) I prefer to spend as much time as possible outside during summer, 2) I have watched really a lot of francophone TV/DVDs in the past year and am currently hitting a border with my listening skills. I think that the reading activities will push my overall comprehension to a higher level.

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 26 of 195
20 April 2014 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
@Jeffers:
I'm delighted that you're doing Hindi. And I'm very curious to know what books you'll be reading.
In case you have trouble finding Hindi material, there's a ton of TV shows on youtube. Chanakya (one of my favourites), Mahabharata, Ramayana, Krishna, Bharat ek Khoj...
Best of luck...

Gemuse wrote:
Bharat ek Khoj is good, as is Malgudi Days.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I will check them out. I already have about 35 Hindi DVDs, many of which are over 3 hours so count as two. And then I'll go to the cinema in Leicester a couple times if anything good is in. But I'll have a look at your suggestions as well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4665 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 27 of 195
20 April 2014 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Language: French

Challenge: full

Current level: about B2

Comments: I need French everyday both in professional and private settings. I feel I really need to improve and broaden my vocabulary.

--------------------------

Language: Portuguese

Challenge: half

Current level: A1

Comments: I hear it spoken very often around here and enjoy it very much. So naturally I'd like to learn it. As most Portuguese speaking people I meet are actually from Portugal I'll go for the European version first with occasional excursions to the Brazilian and African versions.

---------------------------

Language: Welsh

Challenge: half (probably films only)

Current level: not even A1 yet

Comments: A non priority challenge, just something to motivate me to continue studying ...

---------------------------

I'll write about my progress here. (My language blog - blog language: German, I'll probably start a new blog (in English) on the forum, too).

Edited by Mani on 27 August 2014 at 7:52am

Isarin
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 5399 days ago

34 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Japanese
Studies: Czech, Mandarin, Italian

Message 28 of 195
20 April 2014 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 

CHALLENGE: Full

CURRENT LEVEL: B2+

--------------------

LANGUAGE: Czech

CHALLENGE: Half

CURRENT LEVEL: A2/B1

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4116 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 29 of 195
20 April 2014 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: German

CURRENT LEVEL: B2/C1

COMMENTS: I didn't complete the challenge for any of the languages I signed up for last
time, but there's really no excuse for my German - and it should help tip me over to a
proper C1 level.

--

LANGUAGE: Mandarin

CURRENT LEVEL: B1/B2

COMMENTS: I definitely need to try and power through the books - I've been lamenting my
reading skill (or lack thereof) in this language for ages, but I've not really made any
good moves towards fixing that. The films part should be easy by comparison; I
love Asian dramas ;).

--
LANGUAGE: Spanish

CURRENT LEVEL: A1

COMMENTS: Since I graduate in July, I'm going to have a lot of free time this summer
(before I begin my actual adult life or whatever), so I figure I might as well take up
Spanish properly. A half challenge shouldn't be too bad - I can find TV/films to watch
and see if I can read some Harry Potter books :)

I'll be keeping track of my progress probably in my very neglected log, though I may
create a new one for this at the end of May/beginning of June. Exams start in May so I
guess this will be some good 'revision' for me too ;)

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5742 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 30 of 195
20 April 2014 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Japanese

LEVEL: JLPT N2. Listening around B2. Reading around B1.

--

LEVEL: Around B1. Reading is stronger than listening.

--

LANGUAGE: German

LEVEL: A1

I couldn't settle for just one language, but I would like to level up my reading skills in
Japanese and listening skills in French, while not neglecting the other skills.

EDIT since half challenges appear to be acceptable I am going to aim for German too.

Edited by g-bod on 25 April 2014 at 9:25am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 31 of 195
21 April 2014 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Spanish

CHALLENGE: Double

CURRENT LEVEL: Passive B2, Active A2

COMMENTS: I completed the 100 films, 10,000 page Super Challenge last time around in Spanish. I can read a lot of stuff pretty easily, so this will not be very hard for me. I want to start reading some of the Spanish classics soon, too. So many books, not enough time. :D

By the end of 2015, I want to be able to start reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series in Spanish. I started reading them before my kids came along, but only got through the first seven books. I want to get back to the series, but I know it's still way over my head right now. Not for long, though. :)

While this is going to be a lot of audio/movies, I don't expect it to be a problem with Spanish. I had close to 200 movies done by the end last time. A lot of times, I will find the Spanish dub of a show I have seen and liked - or something new that sounds interesting - and just watch it in Spanish. I have the first six seasons of the show "24" with the Spanish audio track, so that will get me off to a good start. I'll also look for native Spanish shows. It seems like they are fairly plentiful online. :)

When is Águila Roja coming back?! :)

CHALLENGE: Double

CURRENT LEVEL: Passive A2

COMMENTS: This is my big challenge for the next twenty months. I will be focusing on the reading portion at first, and will start watching films and TV shows later. I realized last time (with Spanish) that it works better for me that way. I'll start with Harry Potter, and I'll be doing a lot of vocab and LR to start with. I imagine a lot of my movie/audio time will come from LR in the first part of the challenge.

I feel like I learned a lot about how it works for me last time around, so if things go as planned (haha), I would like to get through at least 4,000 pages of French by the end of 2014. If I can do that, I am thinking of adding a half challenge for Italian, Portuguese, or German. But none of that will be until I've made significant progress with French first.

Edited by Kerrie on 21 April 2014 at 12:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6261 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: French

Message 32 of 195
21 April 2014 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Language: French
Challenge: FULL
Current Level: A2/B1

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version