Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 41 of 195
22 April 2014 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: German
CHALLENGE: Full
LEVEL: A2

COMMENTS:
Will aim for 10K pages. Literature is amongst the foremost reasons I'm learning the language, so really looking forward to this, and the improvement it should bring to my reading ability in particular.
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5127 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 42 of 195
22 April 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: CZECH
CHALLENGE: FULL
LEVEL: C1

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 43 of 195
23 April 2014 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
LANGUAGE: Italian
CHALLENGE: full
LEVEL: B1-B2 depending on the skill
COMMENTS: my understanding of audio also depends on the gender of the speaker. I'll keep track of the gender for each recording, and I'm aiming to listen to female voices for at least 50% of the challenge

LANGUAGES: Swedish, Danish
CHALLENGE: half+
LEVEL: A2-B1 passively, active skills non-existent
COMMENTS: I'll keep track of the Scandinavian duo together, aiming for a half-challenge total, including a quarter-challenge in Danish. Norwegian may also count for my personal challenge but it won't be much, and probably only listening. Eventually I'm hoping to do a proper half-challenge in Swedish.

LANGUAGES: Croatian, Belarusian
CHALLENGE: half each/full total
LEVEL: "I can see many things far off, but many things that are close at hand I cannot see." (that's from LOTR)
COMMENTS: aiming for a total full challenge, though to a lesser extent than with my Scandinavian challenge.

the rest will be listed in groups too but mostly because the details are similar

LANGUAGES: Finnish, English, Portuguese, Polish
CHALLENGE: half each
LEVEL: fluent or near
COMMENTS: aiming to include some old works like the Canterbury Tales and Kalevala; in English and Polish probably aiming just for a quarter-challenge

LANGUAGES: Spanish, German
CHALLENGE: half each
LEVEL: non-fluent and hard to define. priority may be more important and these languages are a lower priority for me than for most folks here

LANGUAGES: Romanian, Ukrainian
CHALLENGE: half each, but really aiming for just one star (at least in reading)
LEVEL: non-fluent but these are more special to me than Spanish and German; I have more internal motivation but less of the external
edited my entry.

It's not that I want to cruise through the English and Polish challenges, I just feel like I need *some* consistent reading but not necessarily a lot of it. For English I won't add up any small articles etc.

Edited by Serpent on 23 April 2014 at 3:59pm

rewire
Groupie
United States
learninglane.tumblr.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4325 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 44 of 195
23 April 2014 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Japanese

CHALLENGE: Full

CURRENT LEVEL: Somewhere A2/B1 or JLPT N3-ish. Not sure I'm solidly B1 yet, but getting close.

COMMENTS: Well, last time I only managed about 22 books by the new rules, and only 78 films. But I also spent the first half of the challenge even getting to a point where I could
read 2-3 pages of easy manga in less than an hour, so I'm optimistically thinking that I can actually do a full challenge this time, despite my general lack of reading in any language
these days. Ideally I'll get to low B2, though I'd be really surprised if I don't at least feel confident calling myself B1 by the end of the challenge regardless of if I officially win or not. If I
hit even 50 books I'll be pretty pleased with myself.   I plan on actually reading some novels this round instead of only manga and short stories, too.

I'm registered as @mythikos_ on the bot, and I'll probably update occasionally on my usual log thread also.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5173 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 45 of 195
24 April 2014 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

COMMENTS: I'll keep track of the Scandinavian duo together, aiming for a half-challenge total, including a quarter-challenge in Danish. Norwegian may also count for my personal challenge but it won't be much, and probably only listening. Eventually I'm hoping to do a proper half-challenge in Swedish.

I didn't know we could lump a whole group of languages together!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5112 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 46 of 195
24 April 2014 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Serpent wrote:

COMMENTS: I'll keep track of the Scandinavian duo together, aiming for a half-challenge total, including a
quarter-challenge in Danish. Norwegian may also count for my personal challenge but it won't be much, and
probably only listening. Eventually I'm hoping to do a proper half-challenge in Swedish.

I didn't know we could lump a whole group of languages together!

You can't. I assume Serpent means that she is doing one full challenge and 11 half challenges here. Which in
my view is absolutely insane, but we are talking bad ass polyglot and queen of multitasking here :-)

There is nothing below half challenge, and you cannot do a multilingual challenge. That totally defeats the
purpose. It took me a looooong time to even go for half challenges.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 47 of 195
24 April 2014 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Nobody can keep me from announcing my real goals though :) I'm going to register with 13 languages, yes. In some I'm aiming for just one star. I'm fine with considering that an incomplete half-challenge, but as far as I'm concerned you can't call that a failure.

danyal
Groupie
United States
Joined 5019 days ago

43 posts - 50 votes
Studies: German, Italian

Message 48 of 195
24 April 2014 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: German
CHALLENGE: FULL
LEVEL: A1

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version