Message 49 of 195
24 April 2014 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Spanish
LEVEL: B2 Reading-C1 listening

LANGUAGE: German
LEVEL: C1 Reading-B2 listening

LANGUAGE: Russian
LEVEL: barely A1
This one's going to be the real challenge...

Challenge: However far I get in each, I'll be happy. I see the half-filled glass as full. :)
So I guess I say FULL for all of them, just as something to shoot for.

COMMENTS: After the last one, I got fed up with the bickering over whatever it was...can't remember now ... and loudly proclaimed, "I will definitely NOT do another Super Challenge!", even though it boosted my German level immeasurably.

Well, here I am again, tail between my legs, sheepishly signing up and admitting I'm an imperfect human being full of contradictions...Trying to do it in 3 languages is completely insane, but for me, it's all about the journey. Whether I actually reach the destination or not is immaterial.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 50 of 195
24 April 2014 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Nobody can keep me from announcing my real goals though :) I'm going to register with
13 languages, yes. In some I'm aiming for just one star. I'm fine with considering that an incomplete half-
challenge, but as far as I'm concerned you can't call that a failure.

I would not dream of calling what you do a failure, but have you considered taking one, two or three
languages for the Super Challenge, and then creating your own challenge for those languages where you
only plan to do a little? Then you could create your own rules, and tailor it completely to your needs?

The Super Challenge was never intended to cover every bit of every language you want to study. Give it a
thought. If you create your own challenge, it may lead to less frustrations for everyone.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 51 of 195
24 April 2014 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
But why? There will be people who sign up and never read/watch anything, and you said it yourself that some are motivated by registering with all of their languages. Also, stating my goals honestly emphasizes how much work it is.

There's already emk's challenge for languages that are dead or barely alive. I don't think there will be much interest in one more challenge. It would basically be just a more flexible version of yours anyway, and with the goal of promoting massive input.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 52 of 195
24 April 2014 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Why? Here's what I think:

1. Solfrid has already expanded her simple challenge quite a bit. Against her personal judgement she is allowing half challenges and multiple languages. But it seems that every time she gives you something, you ask for more. I think she is probably getting a bit tired of it. As several others have said, "Her challenge, her rules."
2. It was never intended to be a catch-all challenge (e.g. flexible) for anyone. It covers two learning methods. Please don't complain that it doesn't exactly match your methods of learning; that in no way means your methods are invalid. Many of us use textbooks and study vocabulary. Shouldn't we be acknowleged for that? Couldn't we ask for textbooks to count? We don't because that's not what the challenge is about.
3. There is a challenge which promotes massive input. The six week challenge allows you to study just about any way you want. You win by clocking time, so the more massive your input the better you do.

But I actually do have an idea for a challenge which would suit your style, and which I think a lot of people would be interested in: The Total Immersion Challenge. A bit like the 6wc, it could work by counting minutes. But the goal is immersion by any means possible. Of course, reading, watching and listening would count. But you could do anything else which promotes immersion. This is a challenge where backgound listening would count as long as you're not doing something else in your own language (like reading or playing a game). I know we are possibly overrun by challenges, but we like challenges!

Edited by Jeffers on 24 April 2014 at 1:06pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4627 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 53 of 195
24 April 2014 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
CHALLENGE: Full
LEVEL: A2-B1

fillanzea
Triglot
United States
Joined 4070 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 54 of 195
24 April 2014 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Mandarin Chinese

CURRENT LEVEL: Somewhere around A2/B1.

ayogg9805
Bilingual Triglot
Germany
Joined 4099 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, Taiwanese*, English
Studies: German, Korean

Message 55 of 195
24 April 2014 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
LEVEL: B1 maybe

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4211 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 56 of 195
24 April 2014 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Language: Italian
Challenge: Full
Level: B1-B2
COMMENTS: I need to find an Italian series that I can watch online to get hooked on.
Last year I spent a lot of time looking for movies on youtube and going to the
libratary and I won't have as much time for that this year. So any suggestions are
welcomed.

LANGUAGE: Croatian
Challenge: Full
Level: A2
COMMENTS: The "movie" part for Croatian is gonna be very easy for me as I currently
watch at least 40 mins of Croatian TV (mostly Larin Izbor) on a daily basis. The
reading, on the other hand, was and will continue to be my Achilles' heel. So the first
few months, all my reading will consist of subtitles/LR, Assimil and online articles.

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version