LANGUAGE: Spanish

CHALLENGE: Full

CURRENT LEVEL: B2

------------------

LANGUAGE: Dutch

CURRENT LEVEL: B1

-----------------

COMMENTS: Will be keeping track of my progress in my log: Vos - Aprendizaje de Lenguas
2 persons have voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5642 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 106 of 195
06 May 2014 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Russian

CURRENT LEVEL: B1/B2 (reading and writing), (A1/A2)(listening and speaking)

------------------

LANGUAGE: French

CHALLENGE: Half

CURRENT LEVEL: B2

-----------------

LANGUAGE: English

CURRENT LEVEL: C2

-----------------

COMMENTS: Hopefully, I will be keeping track of my progress in my log :link. Russian is my main objective, and I hope that I can solve most of the problems I found out from my recent trip to Russia. I wish to take certification test for Russian as well. At the same time, I am doing English because my work requires me to read documents or texts not translated into other languages. I featured out that it would be better that I make use of the challenge to install discipline to read my materials. I will be taking certification test in French within 2 - 3 years and this challenge, I hope, can prepare me for this.

Bownly
United States
Joined 3643 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 107 of 195
07 May 2014 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Japanese

CHALLENGE: Full, baby!

CURRENT LEVEL: Uh, it's hard to say. My listening skills are abysmal, my speaking skills are nonexistent
(because I've never even held a conversation in Japanese!), but my reading skills are pretty good. So
basically, anywhere from A1-B1/B2 depending on the activity and subject matter.

COMMENTS: I feel very tempted to just read manga for the reading portion, but I have a few books on hand
that I'll hopefully get around to reading. Similarly, instead of watching anime for the movies portion, I'd rather
watch real movies or maybe branch out into watching doramas. (If anyone has any (free) recommendations,
I'm all ears!)
1 person has voted this message useful

oskarth
Diglot
Pro Member
Sweden
Joined 3639 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German
Personal Language Map

Message 108 of 195
09 May 2014 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: German

CURRENT LEVEL: A2/B1

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4389 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 109 of 195
11 May 2014 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
I was almost forgetting to sign-up here...swamped me -.-

CHALLENGE: full
CURRENT LEVEL: uh, I think A1/A2 writing and B1 in reading/listening comprehension?
COMMENTS: I gathered a lot of material for my first 6WC challenge, but since I followed a rather traditional route back then (grammar exercises and audio courses) I didn't have the chance to actually use it.

LANGUAGE: English
CURRENT LEVEL: C2
COMMENTS: I use English everyday and with my other languages having a higher priority I hardly do anything "serious" to improve my level. I haven't picked any specific material yet, but I will focus on classic literature and film or TV series where characters don't speak with the accents I'm already used to hear.

I'm still debating whether I should join with Spanish or German so I will edit this post accordingly. Hopefully I will manage to make up my mind soon. Updates will be posted at my log.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4902 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 110 of 195
12 May 2014 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
I just discovered that this sign-up thread existed. I've been registered on the Twitter bot and participating there for 8 days already!

CURRENT LEVEL: A1
COMMENTS: Starting this challenge has really made me appreciate just how spoiled I am in terms of availability of resources. Many of the DVDs I already own have the option to switch to French audio, which is what I've been doing so far (watching the Harry Potter movies and episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in French). I live a 15 minute walk from a library that contains mostly French materials, including children's books, adult books, movies, etc. And there are several French bookstores within walking distance.

I'm already getting so much enjoyment from watching movies in French; every word I understand is so exciting! I'm focusing on movies first, books later, since I think that's easier, though I might start introducing some reading soon, sticking with books I've already read in English, so that I'm familiar with the story.

I'll be sticking with my usual yearly log to post updates for this challenge. My 2014 log is here.

miertje
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 3856 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, Russian, French

Message 111 of 195
15 May 2014 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Allright, I'm joining in.

CURRENT LEVEL: A2 maybe?

LANGUAGE: German
CURRENT LEVEL: B1? Listening and reading are far ahead of active skills.

COMMENTS: Reading that bit in the original post about doing movies the first year, and
reading books the next, convinced me to go for it with Russian as well.
This is also my first language challenge so I'm only doing half for each.
I will write in my language log (Miertje's languages) about it.

[edit; I've withdrawn with Russian.]

Edited by miertje on 16 July 2014 at 11:45pm

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 112 of 195
15 May 2014 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
I finally decided to register! I had borrowed a bunch of books from the Alliance
Française at the beginning of the month so I'm already making progress. So here I am!

CURRENT LEVEL: C1
COMMENTS: This should be a piece of cake for me to finish given my current level of
activity so I'll actually be quite strict with myself (no counting podcasts I only hald
listened to and the like). I'm hoping to read a lot of nonfiction and thankfully I have
easy access to two Alliance Française libraries to do so (otherwise it's difficult and
expensive to source). I'll throw in some fiction as well. I'll try to favor native
French movies/series as much as possible to really push my listening skills though
there are a few Anglophone series I want to catch up on.

LANGUAGE: Irish
CHALLENGE: Half?
CURRENT LEVEL: A1-A2
COMMENTS: I already watch a lot and I love it. The challenge will be reading - that's
very slow-going for me. And I need to make progress with my Irish text books to make
reading a bit easier. I anticipate a half challenge for Irish but we'll see what I'm
able to do...

LANGUAGE: Spanish
CHALLENGE: Half?
CURRENT LEVEL: B1-ish
COMMENTS: Hard to grade myself since I have very strong passive skills (mostly thanks
to French)and it's just a matter of practice for me to get to a solid B2 level. This
challenge ought to help a lot, though I'll need to accompany it with some
writing/speaking practice. I'm not working on Spanish much right now but I'm making
plans in the near future to (including a potential trip to Central America. I'll see
what time I'm willing to put in after the other two over the course of the next year
and a half. Even if I don't complete it, I figure if it gets me to choose to watch/read
something in Spanish from time to time then it's a personal success.

You can follow my log
here.

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version