195 messages over 25 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 24 25 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 195
19 April 2014 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Italian
CHALLENGE: full
LEVEL: B1-B2 depending on the skill
COMMENTS: my understanding of audio also depends on the gender of the speaker. I'll keep track of the gender for each recording, and I'm aiming to listen to female voices for at least 50% of the challenge

LANGUAGES: Swedish, Danish
CHALLENGE: half+
LEVEL: A2-B1 passively, active skills non-existent
COMMENTS: I'll keep track of the Scandinavian duo together, aiming for a half-challenge total, including a quarter-challenge in Danish. Norwegian may also count for my personal challenge but it won't be much, and probably only listening. Eventually I'm hoping to do a proper half-challenge in Swedish.

LANGUAGES: Croatian, Belarusian
CHALLENGE: half each/full total
LEVEL: "I can see many things far off, but many things that are close at hand I cannot see." (that's from LOTR)
COMMENTS: aiming for a total full challenge, though to a lesser extent than with my Scandinavian challenge.

the rest will be listed in groups too but mostly because the details are similar

LANGUAGES: Finnish, English, Portuguese, Polish
CHALLENGE: half each
LEVEL: fluent or near
COMMENTS: aiming to include some old works like the Canterbury Tales and Kalevala; in English and Polish probably aiming just for a quarter-challenge

LANGUAGES: Spanish, German
CHALLENGE: half each
LEVEL: non-fluent and hard to define. priority may be more important and these languages are a lower priority for me than for most folks here

LANGUAGES: Romanian, Ukrainian
CHALLENGE: half each, but really aiming for just one star (at least in reading)
LEVEL: non-fluent but these are more special to me than Spanish and German; I have more internal motivation but less of the external

Edited by Serpent on 23 April 2014 at 3:49pm

1 person has voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4794 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 195
19 April 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: French

CHALLENGE: FULL

CURRENT LEVEL: A1(ish)

COMMENTS: The last time I participated in a Super Challenge was way back in 2012. I hope to finish the challenge this time. It's been a long time since I read a novel in French. I hope to use this opportunity to jump-start my reading.
Best of luck to everyone :)

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4794 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 11 of 195
19 April 2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
@Jeffers:
I'm delighted that you're doing Hindi. And I'm very curious to know what books you'll be reading.
In case you have trouble finding Hindi material, there's a ton of TV shows on youtube. Chanakya (one of my favourites), Mahabharata, Ramayana, Krishna, Bharat ek Khoj...
Best of luck...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4361 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 12 of 195
19 April 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
LANGUAGE: Croatian

CHALLENGE: Full

LEVEL: B1 on a good day

COMMENTS: I have a big pile of Croatian books that I've deliberately not allowed myself
to touch this year so I could save them for the challenge. Think I may struggle with the
films though as I don't watch them even in English.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3860 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 13 of 195
19 April 2014 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
there's a ton of TV shows on youtube. Chanakya (one of my
favourites), Mahabharata, Ramayana, Krishna, Bharat ek Khoj...
Best of luck...

Many of these shows are terrible though, like Ramayana where half the show is spent
showing fireworks in between arrows.

Bharat ek Khoj is good, as is Malgudi Days.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3785 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 14 of 195
19 April 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 

CHALLENGE: Double

CURRENT LEVEL: A2/B1

COMMENTS: I plan to go for a Double. Reading many of the logs from last round, many participants saw an
extra benefit around the 8,000 page level. I started a paste.it page to record my Super Challenge activities,
and I have a plan of attack for reading for the first two months, as-well-as classics I would like to be able to
read later on in the Challenge. I suspect at least during the summer months, most of my listening will come
from audiobooks, L/R, or podcasts vs films, which will probably be more fall and winter while my husband
watches football!

Edited by Mohave on 21 April 2014 at 1:51am

hanasea
Diglot
Korea, South
agidark.tistory.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3967 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Korean*, EnglishC1
Studies: Japanese

Message 15 of 195
19 April 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 

CURRENT LEVEL: I am doing Assmil's lesson 10 again. I guess it count as 0?
COMMENTS: I already bought more than 20 DVD in French, I hope I will watch them for five times.

LANGUAGE: Japanese
CHALLENGE: Half
CURRENT LEVEL: A2

COMMENTS : I am going to watch 50 films and 50 books.
I really want to read Japanese novels in Japanese next year.
I watched the entire series of Singekino Kyojin, I hope to see it again without subtitles.
I also bought a Kindle with Japanese version, I already bought some Japanese books.

LANGUAGE: English
CURRENT LEVEL: hard to define.

COMMENTS : I can read well, but I am not good with speaking/writing.
I can listen, but I need to practice. Reading is my best ability. I hope to improve listening skill.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4944 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 16 of 195
20 April 2014 at 12:11am | IP Logged 

CURRENT LEVEL: B2/C1
COMMENTS: My current activities already allow me to complete the reading part of the
challenge (20 pages x 350 workdays = 7000 pages /50 = 140 books). As for the video
part, I only do 10 minutes a day, which would give me roughly 39 films. It is going to
be a challenge to watch more in French.

LANGUAGE: Norwegian

CURRENT LEVEL: B1/B2
COMMENTS: My current activities already allow me to complete half the reading part of
the challenge (10 pages x 350 workdays = 3500 pages /50 = 70 books). As for the video
part, I do 10 minutes a day, which would give me roughly 78 films, thus allowing me to
apply for a half challenge.

LANGUAGE: Mandarin Chinese

CURRENT LEVEL: A2/B1
COMMENTS: My current activities already allow me to complete the listening part of the
challenge (I watch 10 minutes fixed but I usually find time to watch 20 minutes more
from series and I really enjoy it). On the other hand, I haven't started reading at
all. So, I'm going for the half challenge with the hope that I will feel comfortable
about reading a bit more and just watching a bit less.

Overall comments: With a multilingual routine, I think it's much harder to
accomplish a video challenge than a reading challenge. That's the reason I'm not
applying for German, Russian or Georgian. I'd have to watch about 30 minutes of each
to account for a full video challenge (not to mention the difficult in finding Georgian
video), while with 10 pages a day I can accomplish a half challenge. And I bet those 10
pages a day don't take me those 30 minutes, not in the beginning, leave alone in the
end. So, in the case of reading you will get faster at it throughout the challenge, but
that's not going to happen for the video, for obvious reasons. Therefore, as much as I
feel I could accomplish a half challenge for Georgian, German and Russian, I'll leave
them out of the challenge because I can't find the time to watch enough video on them.

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version