Joined 5258 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 153 of 195
27 October 2014 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Re: web pages in TL

Hi peoples,

I know its been discussed but i couldnt find it. In order to improve my motivation in the SC i'd like to count
web pages in my TL. I already read a lot of them but dont count them. Can i count them? Is it 250 words = 1
page (like books)?

PM

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 154 of 195
28 October 2014 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Tadoku has these guidelines at least:

A newspaper article or webpage counts as 1 page if it has roughly the 2 paragraphs worth of text, give or take a sentence. If the page is unusually long, you may count it as more than a page.

Basically, if in doubt, think of it this way:
    1 page = 2-3 paragraphs
    1 paragraph = 5-8 short sentences OR 2-4 long sentences

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 155 of 195
28 October 2014 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
I do not recommend reading web pages for the SC. If it is the only way you can do it, then you are allowed to
do it, but I absolutely do not recommend it. The point of the SC is to get you to read books. Are there
absolutely no books on any topic you enjoy enough to sit down and read them? Although the ideal is to read
works of fiction, you are not limited to that. You can read about history, philosophy, gardening, motorcycles, or
whichever topic you like. But do try to go for longer texts, after Professor Arguelles' lecture I am more and
more convinced that this is the most beneficial choice.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 156 of 195
28 October 2014 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
Web is just a medium though. You can find long and challenging texts, or multiple smaller articles by the same author and/or on the same topic.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 157 of 195
28 October 2014 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
You are right, but that is not how people typically use it, and if they do they might as well read a book :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 158 of 195
28 October 2014 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

Basically, if in doubt, think of it this way:
    1 page = 2-3 paragraphs
    1 paragraph = 5-8 short sentences OR 2-4 long sentences

Wow.

That's not what most of my books look like!
4 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5258 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 159 of 195
28 October 2014 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
Thanks Serpent for your response.

Solfrid:
I have plenty of ebooks, plenty of paperbacks, but I also find very interesting reading matieral online. It's just
nice to have another option, and sometimes that option (web pages) I access away from home when I've had
enough of reading a book and want to find something specific but lengthy via a google search - I often search
things with google, but try very hard to search in French (my TL). If it is allowed in the SC i'm even more likely
to look for what i'm curious about online in French. Often I search the same themes, and very long articles
and topics are what I often prefer. In fact compared to reading my current book I find the material online more
challenging most of the time. I am not sure what you mean about how people typically use the internet, but I
don't like facebook and I often tend to avoid much of the mainstream information out there, but not always. I
read in depth, long articles. This is reading, it's not messing about. I used my dictionary and look up words as
I read and I sometimes add words to my flashcard deck from the articles I read. I am certainly not stuck for
material, but web pages/the internet is honestly a genuine avenue for reading for me. I read it in much the
same way I would read a book, except the content is often shorter but not necessarily always.

Here's an example of recent reading material from websites I have visited recently. Some of the material is
very controversial, that is not the point, and i'm not looking to draw attention or comment from the content.
However this is what I read. This material I have read over the last week, not all of it, but most. I'm sure you
will see that this is genuine reading material. But yes I can read books. However as I said this is another
genuine option for me.

PM

sample 1

Sample 2

Sample 3

Sample 4

Sample 5

Sample 6

Sample 7

Sample 8
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 160 of 195
28 October 2014 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
But do try to go for longer texts, after Professor Arguelles' lecture I am more and more convinced that this is the most beneficial choice.

I read what you wrote about his lecture on your log a few weeks ago, and I would love it if you could elaborate a bit more. What I wonder is, since he recommends something like 7k vocabulary for extensive reading, and he recommends reading higher literature, what does he have his students do until they can do that?

For me, the solution is my own variation of "narrow reading". Briefly, narrow reading is defined as reading within a series, a particular author or even a particular genre. My version is to read within an author or genre, but also to choose short books and re-read them several times.

Some years ago I read an article (which I can't find) outlining a study of vocabulary acquisition by reading among primary students. Students were given vocabulary tests before and after reading five short books. One group of students read five different books, and the other group of students read the same book five times. The result was that the students who read the same book five times gained more vocabulary than those who read five books once.

The obvious disadvantage to re-reading books is that it can get boring. This is where short books have an advantage. If you can read the whole book in an hour, then repeat readings aren't as awful. If the book is really interesting or funny, then repeated readings can be quite enjoyable. For example, I've got 4-5 Petit Nicolas books, and I've read them 2-5 times (depending on how long I've had them).

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version