soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3707 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 14
23 April 2014 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
I used to use it but got really turned off when I downloaded the app on my phone and it didn't have the option to let you choose which side to show you first. I've since found Quizlet and found that it has so many options and features that Anki doesn't have (or at least makes it much easier to configure/set up than Anki). I'm sure there are other similar programs out there, I just stopped at Quizlet since I was happy with it.

I notice the vast majority of you (that use some form of digital cards) use Anki. I'm just wondering: what's so great about it? Is there something I'm missing?

And by the way, I'm not a spokesperson for Quizlet (not that it matters, it's doesn't cost anything).
2 persons have voted this message useful

DavidStyles
Octoglot
Pro Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3741 days ago

82 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, French, Portuguese, Norwegian
Studies: Mandarin, Russian, Swedish, Danish, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 14
23 April 2014 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
I found Anki via a Lifehacker article, and now all my stuff is in Anki and I don't feel like migrating it without a particularly good reason.

A particularly good reason would look like:

"(1) There is at least as much ready-made public content as there is for Anki, (2) it is available for free or at least very cheaply, and (3) it is more reliable than Anki (fewer bugs than the Anki Droid app has)"

Heh, edit to correct numbers. 1, 2, then 3 comes next, not 4. I'm not too hot at this counting thing. I can tell if something is single or plural, and if I'm really pushed I'll recognise when it's dual, but further than that, and it's a case of too many numbers :p

Edited by DavidStyles on 23 April 2014 at 2:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4809 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 14
23 April 2014 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
What I love particularily about anki (I've tried Memrise, loved the old and hated the new one, Quizlet and a few others briefly):

-the interface and design is easy to use. It's meant to be functional, not primarily fancy
-You usually need only a few of all the available settings but nothing prevents you from learning to use them all to your benefit
-easy and bugless synchronization across devices including easy backup of your decks with yor progress
-lots of ready made content if you wish to use it
-should you need help, the creator is very active on the support forum
-your content isn't dependent on an online service (like when it comes to memrise),
-you are free to make as many cards in a deck as you wish and noone forces you to divide them or learn them in a nonsense way (unlike the new memrise)
-the default review times and the algorhytm works great but you are free to cram (which is something I did once or twice and it was really helpful)
-I find it more user friendly than Quizlet. When I tried it on my ipad, I found I couldn't add or edit cards in the app directly and only on the website, which is something I hated. I don't carry a wifi with me wherever I go.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4809 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 14
23 April 2014 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
p.s. you can choose to turn the cards, I don't know how to do it because I make my decks directly the way I want. But it is surely possible to change that somehow.

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5233 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 5 of 14
23 April 2014 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
I am a computer programmer and I like the advanced features for generating cards using templates and styles, being able to modify a whole deck at once, generate new card layouts from existing cards, etc. I realize this is overkill for many users, but for someone who knows how to use it no other SRS comes close to Anki in terms of the level of control you have over your own content.
4 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4054 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 6 of 14
23 April 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
I haven't used every other SRS program out there, so I can't claim to know 100% that Anki is better. But I pretty much echo the sentiments of what others have said. Every other SRS program I've tried, may sometimes initially be more attractive, but overall I've always found Anki the best despite perhaps a bit of a steeper learning curve.

You're specific issue with Anki makes a good illustration. As far as I know, there is no singly button click to make the reverse card appear first. What you would have to do is create a new card type where the reverse card was the first one to appear, and then convert all the cards in your deck to the new type.

This is perhaps a bit more complicated to figure out initially than simply having a button, but it's also quite customizable. For example, with my decks for Cantonese I like there to be 3 sides to each card and I want them to appear in this order

Card 1: FRONT - Written Cantonese and Romanization : BACK - Meaning
Card 2: FRONT - Written Cantonese and Meaning : BACK - Romanization
Card 3: FRONT - Written Cantonese : BACK - Romanization and Meaning

And now that I've created this card format that I like, whenever I download a new Cantonese deck on the web, I can very quickly convert it to match my other Cantonese cards.

It took me a while to get comfortable with Anki, and I still have to look things up on the user guide from time to time, but so far it's proved to be flexible enough for my needs.

Edited by YnEoS on 23 April 2014 at 8:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 7 of 14
23 April 2014 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
I use Anki because it's convenient. The same day my android phone arrived, I downloaded Anki and two French decks. Later I began to make my own cards. I think the "no bells" approach is what I like about using the Ankidroid app. I do make adjustments to the settings, etc, but when I'm learning I'm just learning.

About the card flipping thing. I'm pretty sure it's possible to flip cards, but I also can't remember how. That's because I have two cards for every word, a forward card and a backward card. I think that works much better because the difficulty is different each way.

I have tried out the Quizlet website, and I have to say I am impressed with the games. I tried out a set of 20 cards on a game, and was surprised with how well I learned the cards in 10 minutes of playing. I have been tempted to export my deck, and try to import it into Quizlet, just to compare. But I haven't bothered to do it yet.

Tomohiro
Octoglot
Japan
Joined 4143 days ago

20 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, Korean, Galician, GermanC2, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Studies: Russian, Old English, Armenian

Message 8 of 14
24 April 2014 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
What Anki and Quizlet both have in common: free version available, supports Unicode,
image , audio and sync, import and export.
Basically they differ in the following itens:
1-     Anki offers spaced repetition;
2-     Number of sides in Anki can be more than 2;
3-     Quizlet doesn’t provide plugin support.
On the other hand, there is one function I don’t see in Anki:
1-     Quizlet can be printable. Of course, Anki can be as well, but it is much easier
for me to print any information provided in Quizlet.

Anki is available in over 35 languages; it is very simple and functional. The advantage is the that I don’t have internet anywhere I go. Therefore, the fact that I can use
it offline is a plus for me, something not able to do with Memrise and other
flashcards websites as well.

There are already some decks shared online and it reduce the amount of time for me to
create a new one. I just change some few details and correct the mistakes I see for the
target languages.

Edited by Tomohiro on 24 April 2014 at 5:11pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version