rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 9 of 14
24 April 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
chokofingrz wrote:
The adult human brain gets slower with every year.
Study the more difficult language (Russian) while you still have some brain cells left.

That doesn't bode well for my daughters boyfriend then. He'll be a mental vegetable by 29.

:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

jtmc18
Diglot
United States
Joined 7040 days ago

119 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 10 of 14
08 May 2014 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone for your advice. I apologize for the delayed response, but I recently
transferred back to Alaska, and internet access is somewhat limited where I live. On
the flight here, however, I had the chance to peruse through a dual Spanish/Portuguese
magazine.   I read the Portuguese translations first and understood virtually
everything- I feel that learning Portuguese may be, in some ways, less about learning a
new language rather than about altering the Spanish structures which have, after all
these years, become mostly automatic to me. I have noticed that Portuguese speakers,
when they speak Spanish, often have a strong accent and make significant errors. In
fact, a Mexican teacher once told me that Portuguese speakers often speak Spanish with
less accuracy than learners who have other native languages, simply because they think
that they are actually speaking Spanish. The reverse has to be true too, right? I
wonder if I could ever speak Portuguese without sounding half-gringo and half-Mexican.

As far as Italian goes, it so happens that there is an Italian speaker on our staff
this year. I've decided not to abandon this language as I have found a use for it, but
I've toned down my overall goals for fluency. Maintaining my Spanish will be a big
enough challenge in this environment, as I am the only speaker here.

It is still hard to decide where to go long-term, however. I feel that Portuguese is
the seductive mistress trying to pull me away from my first love, whereas French is the
woman that likes me but whom I simply can't get excited about. Italian is the one I've
been staring at for years, but who doesn't give me the time of day. Frankly, I'm tired
of all this romance- no pun intended- and it may soon be time to take a break from this
Latin drama. Spanish is and will always be the most important language in my life,
apart from English, and I intend to remain faithful. I could use a friendly
distraction, however, and Russian may be the key.

I brought the Penguin Russian course to Alaska, and I intend to dabble in it a bit. I
can't commit just yet. I have to know what I'm getting into first. If the cases try
to destroy me, then I can always seek refuge in Portuguese. I fully
agree with the point that if I'm going to learn Russian, I ought to do it soon. I'm
not "old" by any means, but I'm also not getting any younger and I wonder if Russian
can fit into my brain now, let alone when I'm older. This would be my fourth language,
but it probably counts for two.

Thanks again for the advice. And thanks for the links too! Any new techniques and
suggestions are always welcome...

Edited by jtmc18 on 08 May 2014 at 6:55am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 14
08 May 2014 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
You don't have to learn Portuguese to fluency to enjoy the culture. Simply learning to understand it effortlessly and to keep it separate from Spanish is a worthy task.
Good luck with Russian!

zografialep
Hexaglot
Groupie
GreeceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3934 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek, Greek*, EnglishC2, GermanB2, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 14
08 May 2014 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion(if you haven't decided yet) go for Portuguese.

Since you can speak fluently both Spanish and Italian, learning Portuguese would be a
breeze; if you are commited you can probably be fluent by the end of the year,
considering that you already know the grammar and the vocabulary shared by the Romance
languages.

Then , after you finish with Portuguese- or reach a satisfying level, since learning
never stops when it comes to languages- you can start Russian and be dedicated,and have
no second thoughts.

Another reason why I would suggest this approach is that Russian is indeed a hard and
demanding language, especially for someone that doesn't already speak a slavic language
or a language with cases . It would take years and years of study and dedication to
master, and during that time you will most likely not be able to start Poruguese
without losing your focus.
So this way in about 3 years you will have both and be able to enjoy all of the pros
that you wrote down.
Whatever decision you make, I hope that it is the best for you and you will not regret
it :)

Edited by zografialep on 08 May 2014 at 5:13pm

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5856 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 13 of 14
08 May 2014 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
jtmc18 wrote:
I have noticed that Portuguese speakers, when they speak Spanish, often have a strong accent and make significant errors. In fact, a Mexican teacher once told me that Portuguese speakers often speak Spanish with less accuracy than learners who have other native languages, simply because they think that they are actually speaking Spanish. The reverse has to be true too, right? I wonder if I could ever speak Portuguese without sounding half-gringo and half-Mexican.

Yes. Maybe the same. Maybe worse.

There's this mixed language that almost everyone speaks to some extent on both sides of the Atlantic called Portunhol. On this side the biggest country speaks Spanish, on the other side it's Portuguese. Most people like to think we're very different from one another, but in the end we aren't.

I had friends from Argentina living here for years and they thought they spoke Portuguese. Once someone said "wow, Spanish from Argentina is easier to understand than Spanish from Spain". My friend would later say to me he thought he was speaking Portuguese. He had been here for five years.

The problem is that you cross the threshold where you can communicate easily very soon. Then most people get lazy.

On a different note, I must say I never really understood the "interference problem" thing (beyond a certain point). I'm learning Italian and find my knowledge of French very helpful. Some things are different, but there are ways of pinpointing them and moving ahead. I'm sure there must be many places on the internet with lists of false friends between Portuguese and Spanish.

Of course, if you're aiming to be the next Gabriel García Márquez or José Saramago, then I understand.

Edited by Luso on 08 May 2014 at 9:40pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3877 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 14 of 14
09 May 2014 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Choose German!!!!
Easier than Russian, harder than Portuguese. Tons of learning material. Tons of
literature. Has cases.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version