United Kingdom
Joined 4476 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 9
25 April 2014 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I'd second TV5 - it's very good. Even better is that you don't need Sky - it's
available freely on the internet. You can watch their news segments and there are
sections of the site devoted to learning French.

You don't say where you are in the UK, but if you are within sight of the Hotbird
satellite you can get a satellite receiver and pick up half a dozen French channels.

As for a tutor, I think it depends on how you learn and where you are. I found that at
the start there's a lot that I need to do for myself (basic grammar, vocabulary etc.)
and here a tutor can only point you in the right direction and keep you on track. 4
hours per day of tutoring at this stage to me suggests too much money available :-)
Once you have the basics down perhaps more tutoring will help.

As you have a hard time limit by which you need to be at least able to survive, you
need to get yourself, as quickly as is reasonable, to the point where you can make use
of native materials (TV, films, radio, books) to provide input from which you can
learn.

Don't forget your local library: mine has several hundred books in French available. As
you are fortunate enough to have access to your university's library, you'll hopefully
find it well stocked with French audio visual materials you can borrow.

So rather than 2-3 hours per day with a tutor, I'd suggest some grammar work (as
needed) and 2-3 hours per day of reading (books, news on the Web) and listening (TV,
films and radio).

If you manage to make these activities part of your daily routine, you should be very
well placed to make the most of your opportunity in 2016.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version