What would you recommend?

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
15 messages over 2 pages: 1
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4041 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 9 of 15
25 April 2014 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
Middle English, because they could dive straight into native materials and would be less likely to waste their time if they give it up.

Or coincidentally from your language profile, Sign Language so they could communicate silently and from a distance in situations where that's more convenient.
1 person has voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5515 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 10 of 15
25 April 2014 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
anethara wrote:
Perhaps I shouldn't have asked this question... :P

It's good you asked.

What do you imagine yourself doing with that language? Daydream for a bit.
Do you see yourself visiting a foreign country and using it there? If yes, then think about your favorite holiday destination. Or maybe you want to move someplace else? Where would that be?

Do you see you yourself reading books in that language, watching TV? In which language you would like to do that?

Would you like to work/conduct business in a foreign language? Maybe where you work there are some business opportunities with foreign countries and speaking a language would be an asset?

Is there a language you find appealing just from an aesthetic point of view?

Any of those reasons could be enough to get you started.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4409 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 11 of 15
25 April 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:

I think some folks (talking about adults out of school/university) like the idea of learning a language. When presented with the reality of what that entails, they soon go off that idea.

Miraculously, most of these people diagnose themselves as being "bad at languages"

I learn German because my wife's family are in Germany and I enjoy using the language in real life. French just doesn't appeal to me, but Hungarian does, because I just like the idea of this little landlocked country speaking a language that is totally unique and a law unto itself.

So just go for a language that suits your practical needs or simply jumps out at you.

Now, which musical instrument should a learn? Guitar? Nope, tried that five times already and gave up because I have "no talent"

Edited by beano on 25 April 2014 at 3:43pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4425 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 12 of 15
26 April 2014 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
I like the Middle English suggestion. Alot of these people are interested in learning another language for the
new experience. I remember how curious I was in high school, thinking how all the thoughts I'd ever had were
in English. Thinking in a new language seemed as amazing as seeing a new colour. Middle English is low
hanging fruit in this regard, they get the experience without the large time input.

French, Spanish or Dutch would be the natural suggestions as lowest of the high hanging fruits. Easy enough
to find a passion for the individual cultures once you start learning, no need to wait for a spark.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5023 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 13 of 15
26 April 2014 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:

French, Spanish or Dutch would be the natural suggestions as lowest of the high hanging fruits.

I really had a hard time not responding to this question with "Klingon" when it was first posted. But looking at the comment above about low hanging fruit then perhaps an artificial language wouldn't be a bad suggestion. Esperanto has a much cleaner and simpler grammar, and after that you only have to learn vocabulary. Klingon (I'm told) is more difficult than Esperanto, but there are a lot of artificial languages to choose from. The list of constructed languages is quite large.

This would avoid the "time-sink" problem for people who just want to dabble in a language without spending significant amounts of time at it. Plus for trekies Klingon has a coolness factor. :)

I haven't personally encountered anyone who has asked what language to learn, some have asked me if they should learn X or Y language, but I believe most people already know the language they want to learn.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5023 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 14 of 15
26 April 2014 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
Middle English is low hanging fruit in this regard, they get the experience without the large time input.

I had a hard time not suggesting Klingon when this question was first posted, but after reading the comment above perhaps that wouldn't be such a bad suggestion. COnstructed languages like Esperanto have a simplified grammar and wouldn't require as much investment in time. Of course vocabulary is still an issue.

A constructed language wouldn't be as much of a time sink for people that just want to dabble in languages.

Personally I've never had anyone ask which language they should learn, but rather should I learn X or Y language. I believe most people already know which language they want to learn, they just want a push.

:)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 15
26 April 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
But many don't love any language enough, and many others love only one language and fail when they want to "learn one more language".

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version