jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4834 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 11
26 April 2014 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
Hello Everybody, I hope some of you can answer a really ignorant (but hopefully not stupid) question. What level of French is needed to use the Assimil French Base courses. More specifically, would one know enough French to effectively handle an Assimil French base course if one had successfully completed the Assimil French With Ease English base course? And, if it's not too complicating, would one of the Perfectionment French base courses require a greater knowledge of Fench than an Sans Pleine?

Cheers,
John   
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6994 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 11
26 April 2014 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
I've been through New French with Ease, Using French, French without Toil, and am in Business French. I continue to revise all of them. I have a Perfecionment book for Spanish because the English base for the same book has some terrible translations. My Spanish is better than my French. If I didn't know Spanish pretty well, deciphering Spanish through French would be challenging. Doing so might suit some people. I find a good translation more efficient.

From my perspective and with my learning style, I'd want to be a strong B2 or C1 in a language before attempting to use it as a base for learning a difficult language. I would never go after Russian using an Assimil French base course at my current level.
4 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4805 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 11
26 April 2014 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
It's neither a stupid nor an ignorant question. Believe me, you're not the first person to ask this. :)
Now, I haven't completed Assimil's "New French With Ease" myself.
I was about halfway into the "New French With Ease" when I got bored and dropped it.
I also own both of Assimil's advanced courses for French: "Business French" and "Using French". I have also looked at Assimil's French based courses for Tamil and Arabic.

Mark Twain wrote:

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

I think you should be at least B1 to be able to use one of their course that have french as the base language. You need to understand exactly what the translations mean. And the explanations and the exercises. You need to be comfortable reading French to make the most of an Assimil course with a French base.

That said, is it impossible to use such a course? Of couse not.
But you'd spend more time balancing a heavy dictionary in one hand and Google Translate on your tablet in the other than learning your target-language.
If nothing else, it would improve your French. :)

Assimil says that "New French With Ease" makes you a good B2 while "Using French" takes you to C1. Realistically speaking, after "Using French," you'll be around B2.
So, after you're done with "Using French," you'll be ready to tackle these courses.
Also, I don't think that you need to know more French to study a "Perfectionnement" course than a "sans peine" course. The French in these courses is written for native speakers. It's the target-language that's dumbed-down (graded, if you prefer). :)

Edited by napoleon on 26 April 2014 at 10:09am

4 persons have voted this message useful

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4834 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 

Message 4 of 11
26 April 2014 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Hello Luke and Napoleon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. Now I guess I have to decide whether there are any languages that I want to learn badly enough to get French to a C1 level that aren't offered by Linguaphone or in an Assimil English base. Although not my only interest, one of he things that I'd been thinking of is the Perfectionment Russe. I'm sorry that Linguaphone doesn't make one of their second level courses for Russian. I really like Linguaphone Russian, and I really liked the second level of Linguaphone German.

Cheers,
John

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6994 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 5 of 11
26 April 2014 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Why not one of the various generations of Russian Without Toil?
1 person has voted this message useful

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4834 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 

Message 6 of 11
26 April 2014 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Hello Luke,

Good question!
I have two different versions of Assimil's Russian: the current Russian With Ease, and Russian without Toil from the 30s (It's odd how much the book for the latter cost me!). But in general, I prefer Linguaphone to Assimil and the Without Toils/With Eases don't go further than Linguaphone. As I suggested, I'm mainly thinking of languages that Linguaphone doesn't teach and also the Perfectionment course in Russian. Hope this makes sense.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5321 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 11
26 April 2014 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
As a reward for surviving my French B2 exam, I bought myself a copy of Assimil's L'Égyptien hiéroglyphique. I found the Assimil course quite pleasant to use: there were a few unknown words here and there, but nothing that prevented me from using the course.

I think that using an Assimil course with only a B1 in the base language might be a bit more difficult, but I could imagine somebody managing to do it. In fact, if you can already sort-of read the target language, you might not need to know the base language at all: you could just use the course as a graded reader.

In general, the further along I get in an Assimil course, the less I rely on the base language. I'm currently at lesson 48 in L'Égyptian hiéroglyphique, and I can often read for a couple of lines at a time without glancing at the translation.

Edited by emk on 27 April 2014 at 2:00am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 8 of 11
26 April 2014 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
I totally agree with emk. Assimil can be useful even when you don't know the base
language at all (especially in cases you don't have much choice when it comes to beginner
texts with audio). B1 like French will suffice for use of the base language but I'd
recommend having another source as well so that you don't have to learn both French and
your real Target language when your French knowledge isn't fully sufficient. Having a
dictionary and a grammar book aside can never hurt.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version