Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3795 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 9 of 11
26 April 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently in the A2-B1 range in French, B2-C1 in Spanish, and A1-A2 in Chinese. I've
done Frances sin esfuerzo, and am currently using Chinois sans peine. Frances sin
esfuerzo was great because I'd think I understood the French well enough until I saw a
grammar point in Spanish that I actually understood(and since the languages are closely
related, I could transfer structures and knowledge easier). In general, I find Chinois
sans peine useful because Chinese grammar isn't very complicated and I've been exposed to
it from many other sources and courses before. I'd be a bit wary of try to understand a
rather grammatically complicated(and distantly related) L3 like Russian when using a
French Base that isn't very strong.

But then again, audio + transcript + good dictionary and grammar is a great way to learn,
the French Base could just be a helpful bit before you tackle the normal procedure.
3 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4043 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 11
26 April 2014 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure precisely what it was that got me to a level where I could use French based Assimil courses comfortably. But I highly recommend working through Assimil French Without Toil, because it transitions to giving you grammar notes in French part way through the course, which will be good practice for reading grammar notes for the French based courses. The later generation New French With Ease and Using French don't do this.

Also if you have any interest in learning any Germanic languages, those will be easier for a fluent English speaker to start with from a French base than other languages, because if you run into a French word you can't understand there will be a chance that the translation from the Germanic language will be transparent to you and you can learn the two languages from each other a bit and cut down on your dictionary lookup.

You could also start with a course that has an English base, and try to do a second or additional wave in the French base.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4834 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 11
28 April 2014 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Hello, Thank you all for the fine and useful comments. YnEoS, I jsut looked at my copy of French without Toil (1969), and I see what you mean about the later explanations being given in French. That's encouraging.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version