Diglot
United States
Joined 6999 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 33 of 37
30 April 2014 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Two levels seems to be too much of a limit.

Satisfied? Long or short term?

Level 1 satisfactions...
Thinking there's nothing left to learn in NFWE.
Thinking there's not much left to learn in Using French.
Thinking there's very little left to learn in French Without Toil.
Feeling done with Assimil Business French.
RFI 10 minute broadcasts are easy, even when I ignore the news in other languages.
Read Le Petit Prince and only find a word or two that intrigued me to "look it up".
Watching Petit Nicolas cartoons with ease and high comprehension.
Getting lost in the story reading or listening to The Stranger by Camus.
Feeling pretty much done with FSI Basic French.

Level 2 satisfactions.
Discovering I can speak French pretty well.
Easily reading or listening to Great Books with high comprehension, even if it's with the aid of a translation.

Level 3.
Finding the C2 French DALF test has openings tomorrow, taking the test, and feeling elated the whole time, even after the results are reported.
2 persons have voted this message useful

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6659 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 34 of 37
04 May 2014 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
I tend to find once I can read a newspaper and get 75% or so of what is being said, I
feel happy
1 person has voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3650 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 35 of 37
08 May 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
For French, I know I'll only be satisfied when I can produce a piece of creative writing
that doesn't feel like I am sacrificing anything in terms of style to accommodate my gaps
in vocabulary. On an oral level, I will be satisfied when I can participate in a casual
conversation with people around my age (18-23, lets say) with ease. As it is, it takes me
forever to get to grips with a conversation of that sort amongst most teens, and even
when my brain is finally at the right processing speed, I often find myself unable to add
anything.

With regards to German and Swedish: in the short term, I'd like to read a fairly advanced
level of reading fluency, and be able to understand simple but authentic oral content.
After that, who knows?

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4596 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 36 of 37
08 May 2014 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Level 1-
To be able to chat away to a native speaker about life, travel and other hobbies.
Nothing technical.
To be able to get the 'gist' of a newspaper or online article.
To be able to write letters or a short factual report 'well'.

Level 2-
To get the B2 Goethe certificate.
To be able to to watch a tv programme or film purely for pleasure without the sensation
of it being an 'exercise'.
To be have a successful visit to my friend's family in Germany and to communicate well
with her mother and others when there.

At this point, hopefully in a year or so, I'll lay down my textbooks and integrate the
language more organically into my life. I've no expectations of it helping me find work
or being useful in employment. I think it's like my running. I'll never be Paula
Radcliffe. I'm always at the very back of a race. But as long as I can keep plodding
along, enjoying it in my own feeble way, I'll be a happy woman.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 37 of 37
11 May 2014 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Oh, I don't think I'll be satisfied until I'm at the point where Korean becomes slightly boring because there's not much left to learn. That's how it happened with English. Will I ever arrive at that point with Korean? I have no idea. If I continue studying it might happen in 5-10 years.

But not being satisfied is a pretty awesome place to be. I have goals, lots of them. Whenever I see progress I feel a sense of satisfaction, too, but it just triggers wanting to know more.

Some stops along the road I'm very much looking forward to:

- The ability to complete the reading part of the Super Challenge
- The ability to converse in a manner that sounds natural and complex
- The ability to pass level 5 and eventually 6 of the TOPIK (Korean Proficiency Test)
- The ability to apply for jobs that look for "very good" Korean skills

Lofty goals, by all means. But I know that as long as I have free time to spend on Korean I will just want to continue to amass language knowledge...

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version