Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
27 April 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Whenever I am studying the language... I am translating
the words into English. For example, if a sentence was
"Tengo dos chocolates" my mind wants to translate it. So
it would be "I have two chocolates" same if someone were
speaking it or if I were to be writing it.

When and How will I learn to not translate any words or
sentences into English in my mind? For reading, writing,
speaking, and listening to Spanish or any language?
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4474 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 3
27 April 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Listening to lots of native audio, speaking with natives who keep up a pace close to their natural one. Your brain quickly figures out that constant translation is highly inefficient -- or at least mine did! I think it is just a matter of time and exposure to the language in its natural state.

Edited by tastyonions on 27 April 2014 at 4:12pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5071 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 3
27 April 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum jckh99! tastyonions is absolutely right. Putting yourself in a situation where you don't have a pause button forces you to accept that these words have meaning beyond their relationship to English words.

You don't mention your level in Spanish so it's difficult to give you tailored advice.

jckh99 wrote:
Whenever I am studying the language... I am translating the words into English...

This gives somewhat of a clue. "Studying" tends to lead one to think of language as a "thing" for study and not so much as a means of communication for people. To paraphrase khatzumoto of AJATT, "you don't learn a language, you get used to it.". Are you giving yourself enough of an opportunity to "get used" to Spanish outside of how it relates to English?

Have a look at leosmith's excellent post listening from the beginning and also see my post on the multi-track approach.

Putting yourself in situations where you don't have a pause button, like speaking with natives, watching a film straight through (no pausing, no rewind), listening to the radio live, etc., helps with this. Doing it a lot helps even more. Another thing that helps is using learning resources with little or no English. Have a look at the Centro Virtual Aveteca Nivel A1 actividades (assuming this may be your level, scroll to the bottom of the page for A1).

Thinking in a language takes time. Don't expect miracles overnight.

Edit: Don't stop using your course(s), just add in more exposure to the language.

Edited by iguanamon on 27 April 2014 at 5:55pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version