Triglot
United States
Joined 4410 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 9 of 13
27 April 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Serpent, I was just able to add "Super Challenge Recommendations" as a category for the Ukrainian resource list, but I'm not actually sure what this does. Again, I'm just blundering about and don't really know what I'm doing, taking my clue from Item 4 of the "Cult of Done Manifesto", namely:

4. Pretending you know what you’re doing is almost the same as knowing what you are doing, so just accept that you know what you’re doing even if you don’t and do it.

This could probably get me into trouble...
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 13
27 April 2014 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
The benefit of categories is that they are masterlists that you don't need to edit manually :)

Yay, we have a page now! But I'm still failing to add the category to existing pages hmmm :(

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4410 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 11 of 13
27 April 2014 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
What I'm doing seems to be adding the language-specific page to the one you have linked.

Scroll to bottom of page (NOT in edit mode), select Add Category, type in Super Challenge Recommendations, then hit return and save.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 12 of 13
27 April 2014 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Since I'm a native English speaker I thought it would be best for me to edit the English bit and recommend stuff I like, podcasts, etc. Hopefully they'll help someone. I can find a load more. I'd be interested in knowing what podcasts French or Italian native speakers listen to.

:)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4216 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 13 of 13
27 April 2014 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
@rdearman i'm editing it at the same time as you!! haha. it doesn't work very well. I spent half an hour inputting
stuff and then it wouldn't take it since it conflicted with your edits so i had to do it again. But now the English page
is much fuller =) there's also some good English recommendations in the Advanced ESL TAC team. I don't have time
to get them now but i'll do it later if no one else does.

I focused on classic books that most people will have read in middle school. I also threw in some children's novels as
they came to mind, and next i'll add high school classics. I would really really appreciate people doing the same in
spanish or french! I find this is especially helpful since so much of becoming a "near-native" speaker is
understanding cultural references, and one of the places these often come from are the classic books you read in
school. I'd definitely prefer to read those than something random i find on my own that no one else has heard of.

That being said, it's also important to read things that are interesting to you personally, so it's a good thing this is a
team effort! Everyone will add genre specific items, so if you're looking for aliens or historical fiction or romance,
you can find it.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version