Germany
Joined 5429 days ago

34 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Japanese
Studies: Czech, Mandarin, Italian

Message 9 of 9
06 February 2015 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
An update!! Tadaaaaaa...

Something relevant happened today. I couple of days ago I was complaining to an Italian friend about how I couldn't seem to find any Italian TV show that suited my interests. My friend then introduced me to Piero and Alberto Angela.

And there, after about 3 hours of watching Alberto walking through Renaissance and Baroque palaces, he said the following:
Immaginate solo quali banchetti pantagrueli ci sono stati preparati proprio qui
(in Passaggio a Nord Ovest, Il Rinascimento)

I took that as a sign to finally update this log by advertising for them.

Piero and Alberto are in fact father and son. They have been hosting scientific TV shows since the early 80s (well, only Piero at first, Angelo entered the family trade a little later). Their shows are basically documentaries about anything out there – Penguins, Etruscan sailors, Air, Nuclear Bombs, whatever. There are also many episodes which focus on topics from Italian history. Of the few episodes I watched so far I could understand more than 95% (I'm not sure about my current level in Italian, upper B1 maybe). The speech is quite clear but may be a little slow (compared to what you would encounter in an actual conversation). Every episode I've seen so far touched upon many different facets of the main topic. For me this seemed like a good opportunity to learn a couple of neatly sorted new words for each topic.

The shows are:
Quark
Superquark
Ulisse - Il piacere della scoperta
Passaggio a Nord Ovest

I'm not sure whether RAI videos are accessible from every country. I can access them from Germany, they mostly work for me (sometimes they just stop though...). If not, I'm pretty sure that you can find many episodes somewhere else as well. Let me know whether you like them as much as I do!

---------------------------------------
Other log stuff:
Italian
Assimil - l'Italiano senza sforza
Passive wave: finished
Active wave: lesson 49 (stopped due to laziness)
Assimil – Perfezionamento dell'italiano
Passive wave: currently at lesson 35

Super Challenge:
Read: 70 books (about 3500 pages)
I'm pretty proud of myself. I've slowly worked my way up through graded readers. Right now I'm at a level where I can read 'real books' but not yet anything to difficult. I'm planning to read at least another 3500 pages (about 10-15 books I guess) of light novels and YA literature before moving on to more difficult material.

Watched: 28 movies. I hope that I can move faster now that I've finally found material that I actually like.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version