Forums in your TL?

Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4049 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 9 of 11
30 April 2014 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
The problem is that there are more people on the English forums, and the non-Anglophone
ones do not have as many contributors. For example, I cannot insofar find an equivalent
chess forum in Spanish, which not only is the third most spoken language, but has a
large quantity of chess players (ajedrecistas), both professional and non-professional.
The same applies to French, Dutch, Swedish, etc. However, I can find at least five
in English, some whereof probably have hundreds of thousands of members. I think that
there are some in Russian, which I unfortunately do not speak or study. There is no
abundance of Norwegian forums, and the current World Champion is Norwegian.

Hopefully English is balanced by other languages very soon and loses dominance in the
internet to allow others a chance.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 01 May 2014 at 8:54am

4 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4945 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 10 of 11
01 May 2014 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I haven't found anything worth joining. Some of my interests barely have an active
forum in English.

I did try looking for French travel blogs once though. I didn't read anything, just
skimmed a few, but one or two looked interesting and I'll be searching again in the
future.
1 person has voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3858 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 11 of 11
01 May 2014 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
@eyðimörk: Thanks for sharing your experience! You’re right, one needs to take some care. I’m pretty much a newbie when it comes to forum culture, so a bit of caution is certainly good advice. Ah, and Facebook again. I’m not on Facebook… may I ask you what FB groups are and how the interaction works?

Function-wise, they are very very basic. There is a discussion page where you can add a message (with or without a photo or a link). Then people can respond and the replies are attached to the original post. Everything is out in the open, no separate pages for threads, just one long page with grouped messages, and Facebook-culture means that people write pretty short replies or just press the "Like" button. There is also an "Event" page, usually only used by regional groups for inviting people to outings, and a "Photos" and a "Files" page for group-specific information. That's it.

Most groups are inactive. Lots of people use them as funny "badges" on their profile (those are the groups with names like "I love boobies!") or to show their support for a cause (groups with names like "Don't forget about Earth Hour"). In my experience, the ones that are active have rallying causes (in the case of groups I'm a member of: the survival of minority languages) or a super-active administrator who is single-handedly keeping the group alive by posting links almost every day, which eventually lead to some discussion.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version