Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Assimil vs TY for Latin American Spanish?

Tags: Latin | Assimil | Spanish
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
haziz
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3651 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 6
30 April 2014 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
I wish to study Latin-American Spanish, particularly as spoken in Costa Rica and Mexico. I am currently working
with both Pimsleur and the "Learning Spanish Like Crazy" discs. I am supplementing those with Madrigal's Magic
Key to Spanish.

I am intrigued by the high regard people have for the Assimil method on this board and have already ordered
both the Assimil book/CD bundle as well as the Teach Yourself Latin-American Spanish bundle which appears to
be a recent title. I also have the Living Language Complete Edition Spanish course, the freebie downloadable FSI
courses and a couple of books including Easy Spanish Step by Step.

Knowing myself, my concern is that I will do the first 3-4 lessons in each and every source I have, and never
progress beyond that! I may try to impose some self discipline and focus on one or two resources, though the
temptation is strong.

Is Assimil suited to Latin American Spanish or is this a significant hurdle? I realize there are some differences
between Latin American Spanish and Castillian Spanish, but my understanding is the difference is not huge, for
e.g. use of vosotros in in Spain. I am also aware of some of the variation in Latin American Spanish, e.g. the use
of vos rather than tu in Costa Rica.

How is the new Teach Yourself Latin American Spanish bundle and does it come close to Assimil as a teaching
aid? I am attracted by the fact that it is focused on Latin American Spanish and the series overall seems to be
fairly well regarded.

I am finding LSLC to be a little too fast paced, and a little too informal, for my taste compared to Pimsleur but am
willing to use either, or possibly both.

I have already purchased these resources and will probably look at them anyway, but any advice or guidance
would be appreciated.

Any advice, recommendations or suggestions?
1 person has voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3777 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 6
30 April 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
Assimil will serve you well in Latin-America as well. Of course there are some minor differences in accent, pronunciation and vocabulary, but if you speak standard Castilian Spanish you can adjust yourself to these particular differences within a couple of weeks upon arrival.

I think first you should establish your preferred learning method. Watch Prof Arguelles's videos on youtube, he explains this.

Typologies of foreign language manuals and student learning styles

All the materials you mention are useful, but in the beginning try to concentrate on one. Most people here would start with Assimil, myself being an analytical learner, I would rather do a Hugo or TY course first before moving on to Assimil.

Edited by Hungringo on 30 April 2014 at 12:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

haziz
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3651 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 6
30 April 2014 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Hungringo wrote:

All the materials you mention are useful, but in the beginning try to concentrate on one. Most people here would
start with Assimil, myself being an analytical learner, I would rather do a Hugo or TY course first before moving
on to Assimil.

What do you think of the Teach Yourself Spanish course in it's current incarnation, if you have used it? I ordered
the Complete Latin American Spanish with Two Audio CDs but have not received it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Latin-American-Spanish-Audio/ dp/1444192647/ref=sr_1_3?
s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398855505&sr=1-3

It's author is the same person who authored the regular Spanish book bundle so I suspect his style is the same for
both.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5164 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 4 of 6
30 April 2014 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Assimil is fine for those who want to learn "Latin American" Spanish. Assimil will never cause a Spanish learner to be mistaken for a Spaniard in Latin America :)

If the learner is at the Assimil level they will have much bigger problems with the language to worry about than the Spain/Latin Spanish distinctions.

FSI/Platiquemos would be a great option for you.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Mutant
Groupie
United States
Joined 3700 days ago

45 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German

Message 5 of 6
30 April 2014 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
I speak Latin American Spanish. I started with Assimil and then moved on to FSI and so far have had no problems being understood by Latin Americans at all. Just remember not to use the vosotros forms when addressing more than one person or you might get a somewhat quizzical look...

EDIT: I forgot to mention, Assimil Spanish With Easehas an appendix in the back of the book that describes Latin American Spanish fairly well.

Edited by Mutant on 30 April 2014 at 2:39pm

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3777 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish

Message 6 of 6
30 April 2014 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
haziz wrote:
Hungringo wrote:

All the materials you mention are useful, but in the beginning try to concentrate on one. Most people here would
start with Assimil, myself being an analytical learner, I would rather do a Hugo or TY course first before moving
on to Assimil.

What do you think of the Teach Yourself Spanish course in it's current incarnation, if you have used it? I ordered
the Complete Latin American Spanish with Two Audio CDs but have not received it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Latin-American-Spanish-Audio/ dp/1444192647/ref=sr_1_3?
s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398855505&sr=1-3

It's author is the same person who authored the regular Spanish book bundle so I suspect his style is the same for
both.

I have the author's Castilian TY book, but haven't used it. After skimming through it I would say it is an OK course to start with.

As I suggested above look into all these materials you already have or ordered and figure out which learning style suits you the best. Then finish at least one course compeletly before starting another. Myself being an analytical learner who needs to understand everything before memorising, I would follow the following order:

1. Analytical courses, explaining grammar in detail. (TY, Hugo, Colloquial). 2. Figure out yourself through context courses (Assimil, Linguaphone) 3. Drills (FSI, Platiquemos, LSLC).

You should use all 3 approaches to succeed, but their order should depend on your own preferences.

Don't worry about the differences between Castilian and Latin-American Spanish. Don't think of Spanish as if it was Arabic. In Spanish the differences are much smaller and don't hinder intelligibility (with very few and specific exceptions.)

Edited by Hungringo on 30 April 2014 at 3:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version