Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 81 of 158
06 November 2014 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
FYI, I've watched a bit of Caméra Café, and it's pretty tough for me. Since it's pretty much conversations of people standing around, there's very little context of action to help with understanding, and they all talk pretty fast. I've found a set of transcripts for most episodes of season 1: http://camera-cafe.hypnoweb.net/episodes/saison-1.141.3/. But I've even found the transcripts difficult since there is a lot of slang.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 82 of 158
07 November 2014 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
FYI, I've watched a bit of Caméra Café, and it's pretty tough for me. Since it's pretty much conversations of people standing around, there's very little context of action to help with understanding, and they all talk pretty fast. I've found a set of transcripts for most episodes of season 1: http://camera-cafe.hypnoweb.net/episodes/saison-1.141.3/. But I've even found the transcripts difficult since there is a lot of slang.

Excellent, I'll check those out. I've had a donation from an anonymous reader who gave me the subtitles for Hero Corp. So I'm going to generate some ANKI decks from that. I've done ok without subtitles, but they obviously make things easier.

I've been trying your suggestion for the SC in November to watch without subs, with subs, and without again. But it turns out that both of the movies I bought in French I had seen before in English. :(

But I have watched the first 3-4 Hero Corps which are 30 minutes each so one film. Now I can watch them with the subtitles, then again without. :) So I have at least got the media for the mini-challenge in November.
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 4995 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 83 of 158
13 November 2014 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
--- Weekly Update ---
I think I'm too lazy. It seems I just cannot do without those 4-5 hours of sleep each night. So I've had to scale back on my ambitions regarding two language challenges and completing nanowrimo this year. November is always a busy month for me anyway, and this year is no exception. Creation of Anki subs2srs decks for French & Mandarin was a huge time-sink, much more than I expected, but hopefully worth it.

--- SC Statistics ---
French : 32.8 books : 80.9 films
Italian : 29.1 books : 69.8 films

Reading Averages Change
French: 1.142 books per week --> 1.131 books per week
Italian: 1.028 books per week --> 1.003 books per week

The number of French books at the end of challenge at current rate: 99.53
The number of Italian books at the end of challenge at current rate: 88.30

French
I've watched bumped up the films this week and saw some interesting stuff. I watched the first episode of Hero Corps numerous times with and without subtitles as per Solfid & Jeffers mini-challenge in the thread. I started to watch Micmacs, but had seen it before so it wasn't good for the mini-challenge. Started to watch Prometheus in French, but it wasn't that good in English the first time and not really worth the effort. I did enjoy "Depression et Potes" which is a good comedy about 4 male friends, one of whom is depressed.

FILMS
Micmacs
Hero Corps
Engrenage (Spirals)
Prometheus
Dépression et des potes

BOOKS
Reading Tarzan in French.

Italian
Not a lot to see in Italian, so I've reverted back to watching Carabinieri which can best be described as a "Police Soap Opera". There is a different case each week for the department to solve in Città della Pieve (the city of Pieve), Perugia, Umbria, Italy, there is a few humour breaks and a lot of handsome/beautiful police officers who all seem to fancy each other.

FILMS
Carabinieri

BOOKS
Back to a Hardy Boys Mystery this week it is: "Il gigante del deserto" by Franklin W. Dixon

Conclusion
After writing all that down, I can see that I have done a lot of French Film work but not much reading. Need to concentrate a bit more on the reading to get it up to a good level. But films help a lot with listening comprehension, which I also need. I'm hoping to see a lot of benefits from the Hero Corps anki deck. It is a pity that I can't just go without sleep...

Good luck to everyone in the super challenge, and anyone learning a language.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3766 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 84 of 158
13 November 2014 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
--- Weekly Update ---
I think I'm too lazy. It seems I just cannot do without those 4-5 hours of sleep each night. So I've had to scale
back on my ambitions regarding two language challenges and completing nanowrimo this year. November is
always a busy month for me anyway, and this year is no exception. Creation of Anki subs2srs decks for
French & Mandarin was a huge time-sink, much more than I expected, but hopefully worth it.

--- SC Statistics ---
French : 32.8 books : 80.9 films
Italian : 29.1 books : 69.8 films

Reading Averages Change
French: 1.142 books per week --> 1.131 books per week
Italian: 1.028 books per week --> 1.003 books per week

The number of French books at the end of challenge at current rate: 99.53
The number of Italian books at the end of challenge at current rate: 88.30

French
I've watched bumped up the films this week and saw some interesting stuff. I watched the first episode of
Hero Corps numerous times with and without subtitles as per Solfid & Jeffers mini-challenge in the thread. I
started to watch Micmacs, but had seen it before so it wasn't good for the mini-challenge. Started to watch
Prometheus in French, but it wasn't that good in English the first time and not really worth the effort. I did
enjoy "Depression et Potes" which is a good comedy about 4 male friends, one of whom is depressed.

FILMS
Micmacs
Hero Corps
Engrenage (Spirals)
Prometheus
Dépression et des potes

BOOKS
Reading Tarzan in French.

Italian
Not a lot to see in Italian, so I've reverted back to watching Carabinieri which can best be described as a
"Police Soap Opera". There is a different case each week for the department to solve in Città della Pieve (the
city of Pieve), Perugia, Umbria, Italy, there is a few humour breaks and a lot of handsome/beautiful police
officers who all seem to fancy each other.

FILMS
Carabinieri

BOOKS
Back to a Hardy Boys Mystery this week it is: "Il gigante del deserto" by Franklin W. Dixon

Conclusion
After writing all that down, I can see that I have done a lot of French Film work but not much reading. Need to
concentrate a bit more on the reading to get it up to a good level. But films help a lot with listening
comprehension, which I also need. I'm hoping to see a lot of benefits from the Hero Corps anki deck. It is a
pity that I can't just go without sleep...

Good luck to everyone in the super challenge, and anyone learning a language.

With all that you accomplished this week, this doesn't look like a picture of lazy to me! I love reading your
updates every week. You are so consistent! Helps to motivate me!   I also enjoy seeing what you've read or
watched for ideas for me. Keep up the great work!

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 4995 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 85 of 158
13 November 2014 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:

With all that you accomplished this week, this doesn't look like a picture of lazy to me! I love reading your updates every week. You are so consistent! Helps to motivate me!   I also enjoy seeing what you've read or watched for ideas for me. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the encouragement! You're very kind. I'm glad you are enjoying the log. It is a great motivator for me to keep going and making sure I have something to write about each week!

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 4995 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 86 of 158
20 November 2014 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
--- Weekly Update ---
A very short update this week. I've been to busy to do much of anything! I've watched a couple of films and listened to some audio books, but that is just about it. I've had some bad news about my job, so I might have more time to read very shortly! (Don't worry, I'm not unhappy about this.)

--- SC Statistics ---
French : 32.8 books : 84.1 films
Italian : 29.3 books : 70.5 films

Reading Averages Change
French: 1.131 books per week --> 1.093 books per week
Italian: 1.003 books per week --> 0.976 books per week

The number of French books at the end of challenge at current rate: 96.21
The number of Italian books at the end of challenge at current rate: 85.94

So basically at this rate I'm going to fail, but I figure worst case scenario I'll switch all my work to one language and that way I would win in at least one language.

Good luck everyone with your language learning and your own challenges.

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 4995 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 87 of 158
27 November 2014 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
--- Weekly Update ---
The super challenge is a real struggle for me at the moment. My primary reason for learning French was my recent employer so I have been giving serious consideration to dropping my French studies. The only real reason I haven't dropped it is the SC. I waver between dropping French or not on an hourly basis. On one hand I'll shortly have a bit more free time to dedicate to French, on the other I could spend more time with Mandarin or Italian. So watch this space, but I'll probably complete the SC in French if for no other reason than I'm a bit pig-headed.

The only thing I've done this week for the SC is read 4 pages of Tarzan. I actually read more, but realised I'd "over reported" last week because I took the wrong page count from the ebook I'm reading. Seems if you have the tablet turned sideways when you look at the page count it is doubled! Stupid app. Anyway, I read to the page count I reported plus 4 pages, hence my "4 page" count this week. In Italian I've listened to "Lezioni di Musica" podcast from RAI Radio 3. I chopped up the French TV show "Hero Corps" into subs2srs and I've done a lot of Anki this week, but not much else.

I suspect 20 minutes of ANKI reviews of Hero Corp using subs2srs wouldn't count for the SC, but it is bloody useful for listening comprehension.

From the above you might get the impression all my time has been taken up with work and worries, but actually a lot of my time has been chewed up doing netflix binges watching "Sons of Anarchy". :-)

--- SC Statistics ---
French : 32.9 books : 84.1 films
Italian : 29.3 books : 70.8 films

Reading Averages Change
French: 1.093 books per week --> 1.061 books per week
Italian: 0.976 books per week --> 0.945 books per week

The number of French books at the end of challenge at current rate: 93.39
The number of Italian books at the end of challenge at current rate: 83.17

Good luck everyone with your language learning and your own challenges.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4342 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 88 of 158
27 November 2014 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to hear the bad news about your job :(

There is definitely a big time cost involved in doing the SC - I am also wavering and wondering whether I could use my time better in other ways.

This discussion contains 158 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version