Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 145 of 158
02 June 2015 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
Part of the point of the Super Challenge is just trying. I've signed up for one full and two half challenges. I'll probably finish my French full challenge, but I won't finish my Hindi half and I've completed about 1 book and 1 film (=audio) for Ancient Greek. Nevertheless, my Hindi reading has really improved and I read 1 book more in Ancient Greek than I probably would have if I hadn't signed up for the challenge, so I consider it a win. I plan to do the same three challenges next time, and I expect to easily succeed with French, scrape by with Hindi, and fail again with Ancient Greek.... but still read and listen to more than if I don't sign up!
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 146 of 158
02 June 2015 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Part of the point of the Super Challenge is just trying. I've signed up for one full and two half challenges. I'll probably finish my French full challenge, but I won't finish my Hindi half and I've completed about 1 book and 1 film (=audio) for Ancient Greek. Nevertheless, my Hindi reading has really improved and I read 1 book more in Ancient Greek than I probably would have if I hadn't signed up for the challenge, so I consider it a win. I plan to do the same three challenges next time, and I expect to easily succeed with French, scrape by with Hindi, and fail again with Ancient Greek.... but still read and listen to more than if I don't sign up!

I'm curious how you'd feel about "parking" one of your languages for the duration of a SC in order to concentrate on the others. I've put a bit of thought into that since my last post, and I get a bit worried that if I parked French & Italian for a whole SC, I'd lose to much. But the time pressure!

Anyway, you are correct, taking part makes you a winner since you'll get more done than you would have. I know I've been pretty driven to get my page count in each week. Of course this week I'm already dropping behind because of all my commitments, and the commuting time sink.

Ah well: C'est la vie!

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 147 of 158
02 June 2015 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
I'm curious how you'd feel about "parking" one of your languages for the duration of a SC in order to concentrate on the others. I've put a bit of thought into that since my last post, and I get a bit worried that if I parked French & Italian for a whole SC, I'd lose to much. But the time pressure!

I suppose it depends how much time I wanted to give the language, what I wanted to do with it, etc, etc. I didn't park Ancient Greek because I actually wanted to spend a good bit of time reading it. I know at least one participant (Serpent) has listed a large number of languages because she didn't want to neglect them when the spirit of the SC gets her motivated.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 148 of 158
04 June 2015 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
--- Weekly Update ---
I haven't done anything this week in any language for the Super Challenge. I read one page in French & Italian just to keep my streak going, but I've got zero time at the moment. I'm going to set aside an hour or two this weekend, but doubt that will make much change to the statistics.

--- SC Statistics ---
French : 57.8 books : 112.3 films
Italian : 55.0 books : 100.3 films

Reading Averages Change
French: 1.014 books per week --> 0.996 books per week
Italian: 0.963 books per week --> 0.948 books per week

The number of French books at the end of challenge at current rate: 87.68
The number of Italian books at the end of challenge at current rate: 83.44

--- Output Challenge Update ---

No output this week. See above statement about zero time.

--- Output Challenge Statistics ---
Italian : 1177 words : 80 minutes

---
Good luck everyone with your language learning and your own challenges.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 149 of 158
05 June 2015 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I know at least one participant (Serpent) has listed a large number of languages because she didn't want to neglect them when the spirit of the SC gets her motivated.

That's true, but I was motivated by the totals ranking. I think next time I'll focus on a smaller number of languages and choose the ones that can actually fight for being my best language, varying alongside my short-term priorities.

Edited by Serpent on 05 June 2015 at 2:26am

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 150 of 158
11 June 2015 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
--- Weekly Update ---
Well I could have just re-posted last weeks entry. I've not managed to do anything really although I managed to get in 18 pages of a French book. One 1-2 pages in Italian. I have started listening to a French audio-book, but doesn't really help me, since I completed the audio/video portion already.

--- SC Statistics ---
French : 58.2 books : 112.3 films
Italian : 55.0 books : 100.3 films

Reading Averages Change
French: 1.014 books per week --> 0.986 books per week
Italian: 0.963 books per week --> 0.932 books per week

The number of French books at the end of challenge at current rate: 86.79
The number of Italian books at the end of challenge at current rate: 82.02
--- Output Challenge Update ---

No output this week. See above statement about zero time.

--- Output Challenge Statistics ---
Italian : 1177 words : 80 minutes

---
Good luck everyone with your language learning and your own challenges.

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 151 of 158
18 June 2015 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Once again I've only read two pages in each language. Not much of an update, but on the other hand I am very busy at work so the time flies! I have been listening to French radio on my commute in, but that doesn't count for me, and I have been working on Pimsleur.

Hopefully get back on track soon, or begin to use my weekends more fruitfully.

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 152 of 158
21 June 2015 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Recently I've been thinking about just giving up on the Super Challenge since it seems impossible to find the time to actually do any of the reading. Reading has been my biggest bugbear for the super challenge mostly because of the work schedule and even when I had time off I didn't seem to be able to progress. This morning it occurred to me that over the last 25 days if I'd just read one page, I would have completed 1/2 a book at least. But this is still only a drop in the ocean to the number of pages I need to read. At the moment I need to read 4330 pages in only 193 days, which means I need to read 23 pages every single day for the rest of the year. I just don't see how this is possible.

Therefore I've decided that I will concentrate on only doing one language. This means I half the reading required down to 12-13 pages a day which is possible, but still difficult. I now need to choose between Italian and French. I'll probably go with French, since I can actually read faster in French than Italian. But it still hurts to have to give up on your first language love. However my Output Challenge is still Italian, so hopefully I can make some progress there.

This discussion contains 158 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version