rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 25 of 158
26 June 2014 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
It does feel frustratingly slow to me compared to reading in other languages and I am so heartily sick of Caesar now that I could happily stab him
myself.

Et tu, Radioclaire?

Still your reading about 1.8 pages per minute!

Luxury, I used to dream of livin' at 1.8 pages per minute. I have to get up at 10 PM, half-an-hour before I go to bed, lick road clean with tongue, work 29 hours at the language mill trying to get to 1.8 pages per minute.

(Nod to Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen )

You're doing good! Keep up the good work.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5173 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 26 of 158
26 June 2014 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
My latest book, La Révolution et la Chouannerie is *so* dense plus the pages are pretty
big. I'm not getting through it quickly at all but my reading rate has improved a ton
from around an embarassing 4-5 minutes per page to about 2.

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 27 of 158
26 June 2014 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
My latest book, La Révolution et la Chouannerie is *so* dense plus the pages are pretty
big. I'm not getting through it quickly at all but my reading rate has improved a ton

How long did that take you? I'm on about 5 minutes at the moment in French.
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5173 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 28 of 158
27 June 2014 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
sctroyenne wrote:
My latest book, La Révolution et la Chouannerie is
*so* dense plus the pages are pretty

How long did that take you? I'm on about 5 minutes at the moment in French.

I was okay for the intro then things slowed way down for the first couple chapters. About
50-80 pages in until I started doing better.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5173 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 29 of 158
27 June 2014 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
One thing that helps is if you're willing to spoil yourself. If you already know the plot and the characters, then you can concentrate on getting the language (or you can also re-read it after you're done). Once you start getting lost in the plot/characters *and* the language, it gets really hard to get back on track.

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 30 of 158
03 July 2014 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
--- Weekly Update ---
I'm a little hesitant to give an update this week since to me at least it seems very repetitive! I seem to watch the same stuff and to never finish a book! But hopefully next week I'll move on to something new.

I did a VERY interesting (and bloody difficult) exercise someone mentioned on HTLAL forums. Someone (sorry I don't remember who) mentioned their tutor made them watch to a two minute film clip in their target language and transcribe every word. I thought; what a good idea! I decided to have a go at it.

This exercise, I've since discovered is HARD. I cut a 2 minute dialogue from "Mafioso - Le Clan" where three of the gangsters are talking to each other in a car. I repeated this over and over until I transcribed every word. Or to be more accurate, I transcribed all the French words I thought I heard, attempted to spell them, ran them through google translate a number of times to see if these "phonetically" spelt words exist in French. Then tried to make sensible sentences from this mish-mash of phonetic gibberish.

I probably should have counted this toward my film in SC!!! I spent well over an hour and a half repeating the same 2 minutes in order to get every word. I've sent this off to my language partner along with the clip to see if I managed to get any of it correct.

I may attempt to do this again with a clip in Italian. I have to say it is an excellent exercise in intensive listening. Normally I watch the films, get the gist of what is happening and move on, occasionally looking up the more interesting/noteworthy words and phrases. I recommend having a go at this exercise.

I've tried to work on reading more this week and to keep the consistency levels up. Not doing to badly, but my experiment with the film clip has shown me that I need to work on listening more. So basically, I need to work more on everything.

--- SC Statistics ---

French : 11.5 books : 45 films
Italian : 6.5 books : 33.8 films

Reading Averages Change
French: 1.3125 books per week --> 1.150 books per week (slight increase)
Italian: 0.65 books per week --> 0.65 books per week (no change)

French
My focus has still been Italian reading this week, but I did a burst of reading on one or two days.

FILMS
Still watching the series "Mafioso - Le Clan". I've completed the 1 & 2nd season and only one episode left in season three, should finish 3rd season today. I'm going to probably complete 4th season next week. I don't know what to watch next, although there have been a LOT of great suggestions in the forums, so spoilt for choice really.

In addition to watching "Les visiteurs" with Jean Reno, Christian Clavier, I've been listening to podcasts, "Le lundis de l'histiore" being the most recent.

BOOKS
I haven't started any new books in French and probably will just keep going with Le Fléau until I've levelled up the Italian. I've not confirmed it with a stopwatch, but I believe my reading speed in French is improving. I read 21 pages of Le Fléau last night (in order to complete my 50 page target this week) in only an hour.

Books I am reading are:
"Le Fléau" - Stephen King

Italian
I've knocked out a graphic novel this week in Italian called Dylan Dog and started reading a Roald Dahl "Il GGG" (The big friendly giant). Somehow I've managed to loose my other book, "Gli Sporcelli". This has disappeared from my house, and since I'm the only one interested in Italian, I can only assume Italian gnomes have raided my house in the middle of the night for reading material.

FILMS
"Tutti Pazzi Per Amore" season 2 episode 15 next.

BOOKS
Added Roald Dahl "Il GGG" to the list of things to read. This is an easier read for me than "La famosa invasione degli orsi in Sicilia", but still working through that as well.

Reading "Io Sono Leggenda" (i am legend) on LWT, and it is slow going.

Books I am reading are:
"La famosa invasione degli orsi in Sicilia"
"Il GGG"
"Io Sono Leggenda"

Conclusion

My tutor is away for 3 weeks, so no lessons for me! I am doing Anki flashcards when dogwalking. I've given into the lure of Mandarin, but I only allow myself to listen to a little Pimsleur after I've completed my allotment of French or Italian. I have been writing some Chinese characters, but this is more like drawing fun than language study.

I can honestly say the SC has been a boon for me, I've managed to do something consistently in both languages to the point where it has now become habit. I get annoyed on days when I can't go out and read an Italian or French book at lunchtimes.

I wish I could report more exciting stuff in this log, but progress is slow, steady, and boring. But it is progress.

Good luck to everyone in the super challenge, and anyone learning a language.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3789 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 31 of 158
03 July 2014 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction and getting an excellent routine going! Interesting exercise!   
I may have to try that! Good luck in the SC, I plan to follow your progress!

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 32 of 158
03 July 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction and getting an excellent routine going! Interesting exercise!   
I may have to try that! Good luck in the SC, I plan to follow your progress!

Thanks Mohave. This exercise was mentioned by tarvos on the forums here so giving credit where credit is due.

This discussion contains 158 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version