Studies: German

Message 18 of 20
23 May 2014 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:
I was adding about 28 cards per day for a year,

Woa. You must have an awesome memory.

I think it's probably pretty average.

At least a 1/3 of the cards were sentences so I was probably learning about 20 words per day. Also keep in mind I was doing an average of 58 minutes a day revision. People learning languages in the military or in the diplomatic core are expected to learn a lot more words (2x-4x?) than that per day.

To be honest, after having done this for a year, I got sick of Anki and personally think once you get a solid enough vocabulary to read you are better off saving the time you are spending on Anki to read native materials. In retrospect I could have probably stopped using Anki after 3-6 months, but I was a bit stubborn and was worried that I would forget all the words I had learnt, which is silly as the only words you forget are the ones you don't use and therefore don't really need.

Edited by patrickwilken on 23 May 2014 at 11:45am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 20
23 May 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
What seems pretty clear is that nobody uses SRS from A1 to C2 so to say. There seem to be three main ways to use it:

-SRS the basic vocabulary, then just use native materials (patrickwilken, tarvos, many others)
-learn the basic vocabulary with a course that has built-in spaced repetition (Assimil, even Pimsleur), then use SRS for advanced words that you don't see frequently enough (similar to emk's strategy)
-start a new deck whenever you feel like it, use it for a few months and drop it (I think it was Ari who wrote about this)

I guess an important reason why I can't stick with SRS is that I (try to) do all of the above depending on the language, but it's hard to take a break from SRS'ing just one language without taking a complete break from Anki.

How do other people learning various languages at the same time handle it? Maybe especially prz ;)

edit: now that I think of it, the only time when I could successfully use SRS for all my languages was when I made multilingual single-word cards, in Latin, Esperanto and Portuguese. But this made the cards too hard in the long run. I switched to sentences and more or less single-language cards.
One more factor was misusing SRS, ie using it instead of making my own exercises or playing with the vocabulary. I guess I need to decide what exactly to use SRS for.

Edited by Serpent on 29 May 2014 at 4:09am

4 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 20
23 May 2014 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
How do other people learning various languages at the same time handle it?

I use Anki mainly for Mandarin, Esperanto and Irish. I rarely add words to the Mandarin deck (except very recently when I slogged through the Assimil course Chinese with Ease), more often to the Irish deck (no new additions for about a month, though), and (recently) quite regular additions to the Esperanto deck (whenever I do a lesson from the Lernu site).

I don't add hundreds of words in one go, but rather the vocabulary of the current lesson (10? 20?) and maybe sentences from a dialogue (typical for the Lernu lessons).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version