Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5185 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 25 of 26
07 May 2014 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
At first when trying to learn Spanish I was terrified that it would mess with my
precious French. And for a while I had problems with interfering pronunciations of "de"
and "que". I put Spanish aside for a while for unrelated reasons but when I came back
to it I was much more relaxed. I now respect that switching between languages is a
skill in of itself that I can hone with time and practice. If I spend a lot of time on
Spanish, of course it will bleed over a bit right when I switch to French. And French
gets into my Spanish quite a bit since my active French skills are much stronger - only
need to strenghten my Spanish to solve that.

Irish is different enough that this isn't much of a problem except for French/Spanish
rushing in to fill in the very wide gaps in my knowledge whenever I try to produce
something in Irish. I just need to learn more Irish in that case.

I do plan on taking up Portuguese later but I'll give it a little time to stagger it to
make sure I have decent active skills in Spanish first.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6999 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 26 of 26
07 May 2014 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Check out this amazing map of the lexical distance between European
languages:

It would be neat to see the map result of putting any language in the center to see the various lexical distances. The map would look more like the spokes of a wheel, but it would show interesting language relationships.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version