Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6379 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 185 of 198
23 April 2016 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
I have a question too, Cristina. Are you allowed to also read in your native language? I remember that this
was allowed in the original challenge, but Serpant meant it wasn't allowed anymore. Anyway, I feel my
English is suffering from disuse, and thought I'd like to read classics and other important works of the sort that
were on the school reading list and which I didn't read or have forgotten. I, of course, wouldn't count things
like comic books or children's books like I might read in my weaker languages. I just find it motivating to be
able to count and record my reading. However, if it's not allowed, I understand. I assume it's still OK to do
other advanced languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 186 of 198
24 April 2016 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Komma wrote:
Thanks for replying again, Serpent ;) I hope I did not sound as I did not believe you or anything. Just wanted to make sure that Christina still is ok with it. But I guess I'll just go for it then. And apart from articles I also have scientific textbooks and for films I'd defenitely also get documentaries (which were fine, right?). There are some really great ones out there :D
Yeah, by "the previous time" I meant the last challenge. I was mostly telling this to Cristina. I also meant to clarify that MOOC stands for massive open online course.

Hehe Brun Ugle if in your idiolect "Serpant meant" is "Serpent said", maybe you need an English SC indeed ;)
BTW I just remembered that I once asked Cristina if I can sign up with Russian if I forget it and she allowed ;D
Also, my understanding was that signing up with L1 is what we lost when removing the advanced challenge. But it's up to Cristina, obviously :)

Edited by Serpent on 24 April 2016 at 5:29am

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 187 of 198
24 April 2016 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have also received a question of whether it is possible to register with language
families. I have thought long and hard about that, and I have deciced to say yes to that too.

I would prefer that people stick to individual languages, but if it is that important to them to do whole
families, I will allow it. :-)

In that case, I feel less bad about my tentative plan to possibly count Danish and Norwegian materials
against my Swedish challenge. Having studied Irish and struggled to understand all of its dialect variations,
I'd feel silly if I only learned to read one of DK/NO/SE.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 188 of 198
24 April 2016 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
@Komma: I'm still fine with it. :-)

@Brun Ugle: Yes, If you feel you need it its ok to sign up with your native language. I am hoping that it is in
addition to other languages though:-)

And guys - all of you - I am really happy that there is this much enthusiasm about the Super Challenge, but
please remember it is supposed to be a tool and a help, not a straight jacket.

If it works for you, that is amazing, but if it doesn't then change method. I won't frown upon it, I will applaud it.
:-)

We are all different, and different methods work for different people.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3818 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 189 of 198
24 April 2016 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your answer. That sounds great, so I have a few more options (for this challenge
and that specific part of the language)

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 190 of 198
24 April 2016 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
FYI the Super Challenge bot now accepts Language Families. However if you're going to record your pages/films against a language, it will not automatically "rollup" to the family. You need to decide if you are going to record your pages/films against each language in the family, or into the family. And at least for this year, you're probably going to be stuck with your decision.

http://sc2016-17.language-learners.org/

Edited by rdearman on 24 April 2016 at 11:56pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 191 of 198
25 April 2016 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have also received a question of whether it is possible to register with language
families. I have thought long and hard about that, and I have deciced to say yes to that too.

I would prefer that people stick to individual languages, but if it is that important to them to do whole
families, I will allow it. :-)

In that case, I feel less bad about my tentative plan to possibly count Danish and Norwegian materials
against my Swedish challenge. Having studied Irish and struggled to understand all of its dialect variations,
I'd feel silly if I only learned to read one of DK/NO/SE.
Most likely the bot will allow the options to track both #Germanic and #Scandinavian, whatever you prefer.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 192 of 198
26 April 2016 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Most likely the bot will allow the options to track both #Germanic and #Scandinavian,
whatever you prefer.

Looks like these are the current options (shouldn't that be "Finno-Ugric"?):

egxFamily-Egyptian
02Family-Finno-Ugrian
gemFamily-Germanic
04Family-Greek
gmqFamily-North-Germanic
01Family-Romance
semFamily-Semitic
sitFamily-Sino-Tibetan
slaFamily-Slavic
03Family-Turkic

This discussion contains 198 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version