Triglot
United States
Joined 4403 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 17 of 198
07 May 2014 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
@kanewai, I added the books you mentioned, just to have another location for these in case HTLAL is hard to access for this information. PM me if there are any other ones (or films) you'd like to have added. Cavesa also mentioned the Fred Vargas mysteries, so I added you as a second contributor.
French sure has a lot of really interesting content!
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 18 of 198
07 May 2014 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Thanks BAnna!

[deleted question]

I think I figured it out. Too well. Now I'm fighting the urge to go and add graphics
and pictures and links to everything. I did add a section on bandes dessinées (French
graphic novels), since those are pretty popular in French. Hope that's ok; if not it's
easy to undo.

edits on this page:
http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Challenge_Recom mendations_French

French sure has a lot of really interesting content!

It's been a revelation to me. I had no idea how much great stuff was out there before
the Super Challenge started.

Edited by kanewai on 08 May 2014 at 12:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 19 of 198
07 May 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Just in case anyone needs English books or Audio, just got this through on my RSS feeds.

Free Sci-Fi books

http://www.openculture.com/2012/03/free_science_fiction_fant asy_dystopian_classics_on_the_web.html

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4403 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 20 of 198
08 May 2014 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
kanewai, the wikia page format isn't mine, the whole point of the wikia is that they are "OURS", a group effort, so everything is ok. All I really want is no spoilers :)

What you added looks amazing! Makes me wish I was learning French.

Somewhere on here I wrote instructions, maybe I'll make a page on the wikia for "how to" and you can add how to add pictures...or others can improve upon the instructions.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 21 of 198
11 May 2014 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Ten Day Update

French Reading: 5.3 books

I'm still working on Émile Zola's L'Œuvre (1886). It's about young bohemian
artists challenging the bourgeois status quo in Paris. I'm at the 45% mark, and the
story is starting to get dark. Zola always gets dark, so I knew this point would come.

Finished: Jean Giono. Colline. 1929.

Italian Movies: 1.1 movies

I'm slowly working my way through La meglio gioventù (2003), a six-hour
miniseries that follows two brothers over the course of 40 years. It's enjoyable, and
is a cool look at modern Italy.

Italians Reading: 0.4 books

And even more slowly, I've been working on Italo Calvino's Le città invisibili
(1972). This is way beyond my skill level. The novel is actually a series of
short vignettes with Marco Polo describing to Kublai Khan the cities he has seen. I
need to read a sentence in English, then read the Italian a few times. Luckily the
writing is beautiful, and so it's a pleasure to read and re-read the passages. I'm
actually getting more out of it this way than when I first read it in English. Here's
a sample:

Le città e la memoria. 2.

All'uomo che cavalca lungamente per terreni selvatici viene desiderio d'una città.
Finalmente giunge a Isadora, città dove i palazzi hanno scale a chiocciola incrostate
di chiocciole marine, dove si fabbricano a regola d'arte cannocchiali e violini, dove
quando il foresterio è incerto tra due donne ne incontra sempre una terza, dove le
lotte dei galli degenerano in risse sanguinose tra gil scommettitori. A tutte queste
cose egli pensava quando desiderava una città. Isidora è dunque la città dei suoi
sogni: con una differenza. La città sognata conteneva lui giovane; a Isidora arriva in
tarda èta. Nella piazza c'è il muretto dei vecchi che guardano passare la gioventù; lui
è seduto in fila con loro. I desideri sono già ricordi.

translation by William Weaver:

Cities & Memory. 2.

When a man rides a long time through wild regions he feels desire for a city. Finally
he comes to Isidora, a city where the buildings have spiral staircases encrusted with
spiral shells, where perfect telescopes and violins are made, where the foreigner
hesitating between two women always encounters a third, where cockfights degenerate
into bloody brawls among the bettors. He was thinking of all these things when he
desired a city. Isidora, therefore, is the city of his dreams: with one difference.
The dreamed-of city contained him as a young man; he arrives at Isidora in his old age.
In the square there is a wall where the old men sit and watch the young go by; he is
seated in a row with them. Desires are already memories.

Edited by kanewai on 11 May 2014 at 11:39pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 22 of 198
12 May 2014 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

I'm slowly working my way through La meglio gioventù (2003), a six-hour
miniseries that follows two brothers over the course of 40 years. It's enjoyable, and
is a cool look at modern Italy.

I really love that mini-series (or whatever they call it now days). It is very very well done and the acting is really good. Have you noticed that the boys father is the same actor in Young Inspector Montobano? If you haven't watched Inspector Montobano it is worth it, but lots of Sicilian lingo.

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3840 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 23 of 198
12 May 2014 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Just a comment on the wiki recommendations page.
I added some books to German. If you like some more recommendations just ask, I might post them here, because I actually am not a fan of editing wiki pages. ^^

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4546 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 24 of 198
12 May 2014 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Spanish.
I've been floundering around on my reading. I decided I should quit fighting the inevitable and just read the first Harry Potter.
I'm going to try some translations of Hemingway also.
I started this challenge to make myself just "go" and read and listen extensively instead of intensively studying. I've been having a hard time disciplining myself not to stop and look things up when I miss a word.
Potter should be easy enough just to get through.

This discussion contains 198 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version