Triglot
United States
Joined 4097 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 81 of 766
09 May 2014 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
I scheduled myself by creating a weighted graph that assumed my reading speed would improve very gradually over time.

(I made an Excel spreadsheet where every day's pages is the number of pages from the previous day times 1.00155 -- I fiddled with the numbers until I got a number where I could start with my current reading speed and finish with just over 5000 pages read.)

It's not something I'm going to stick to super strictly, and read exactly 5.00775 pages today and 5.015512013 tomorrow, but it's something that helps me to know I'm making progress now while not forcing myself to read way more than I can. I really couldn't face not starting reading right away because my reading is so slow and I didn't want to leave myself with a huge number of pages to do in the future.

(I'm doing the challenge in Chinese, and my previous experience with Japanese leads me to suspect that my reading speed improves very, very slowly in languages that don't use the roman alphabet. Heck, my Chinese is MUCH better than my Spanish, but I can read significantly faster in Spanish.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5029 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 82 of 766
09 May 2014 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I sometimes think that I read faster in Spanish than Japanese despite being pretty much a total beginner in Spanish. Still, I have definitely noticed a difference in the Japanese with the last Super Challenge and the reading I've done since then, so I think it is possible to get there with a large amount of input.
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4675 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 83 of 766
09 May 2014 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
I spent the last couple days playing with the Super Challenges French page on the
wikia, and I think I have a template that can be used for other languages.

http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Super_Challe nge_Recommendations

Check it out, and if you like it I can paste the code onto the other pages.

The basic format I'm using is categories for

- Contemporary Literature (post WW II)
- Classical Literature
- Non Fiction
- Books for Kids and Tweens
- Films, Podcasts, and Audio

These can be easily customized in the beginning to meet the needs of individual
languages. For instance, in French we also put in a bandes dessinées section.
It's much easier to do this now when the lists aren't fully populated! My thoughts,
based upon what I know, are to have the following additional categories:

Spanish: Separate tables for movies and tv/telenovelas
Korean: Separate tables for movies and k-drama
German: Separate tables for movies and tv
Japanese: Tables for manga and anime
Ancient Greek: Separate tables for Epic, Classical, and Koine Greek. And no tv : )

Notes:
Tables are easier to fill in once they're set up.
Four columns seems to be the maximum; any more and the tables looked to messy.
I can make the tables collapsible, or sortable, but haven't figured out how to do both.
If you're adding photos set the size to 150px; I can't figure out how to lock the
column size.

Let me know!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6287 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 84 of 766
10 May 2014 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:
That's strange, it looks fine for me. What browser are you using? I'll have a look into
it.

I just had this problem as well. I figured out how to reproduce it. (I'm using Firefox 29)

If I click the link to my page from the main page the graphs load properly.

If I'm looking at my page and refresh using F5 the graphs look like Serpents screenshots.
3 persons have voted this message useful

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4390 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 85 of 766
10 May 2014 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
As you may have noticed, there's been an update to the Twitter Bot's webpage! If you
haven't seen it, head over there
now
to take a look.

The update is mostly just a layout and presentation change, but there are a few new
things as well:

The stars system is now up and running. You'll receive a star beside your name for
each 25 items (books or films) that you've achieved. You get a special star for
reaching a super challenge goal (half, full, or double).

Something I've had in the back of my mind for a while is implementing a type of
badge/reward system to help with motivation. I've gone ahead and implemented this, but
the thresholds, conditions, and display can all be changed easily and I'd love to hear
some input on this.

On your profile page you can now see your current 'Sprint' and 'Streak'. These are the
number of continuous days or weeks you've reported studying to the twitter bot. I
realise some people - myself included - only tweet when we've finished a complete book
or watched a complete movie. You don't have to pay attention to these awards, and
ignoring them isn't going to affect your challenge score.

But for those who are interested in this, you'll get a small badge next to your name
when you reach 10, 20, or 40 consecutive days of studying (Bronze, Silver and Gold
respectively). There's also one for the number of consecutive weeks - at 5, 10 and 20.
There are a couple of issues with timezones here I need to iron out, but you should see
these start appearing over the next few weeks as people keep recording their study.

I'm interested in hearing what you think about these changes! Do you like the new
design? Are the badges too intimidating? Is anyone else excited to see the first star?

In the mean time, I'm going to go and kick off my own super challenge attempt ;).
/Philip

Eagle32 wrote:
I figured out how to reproduce it.

Thanks for that! I had a quick look and unfortunately there don't seem to be any
obvious bugs, but I'll try to get this fixed for the next update.
3 persons have voted this message useful

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 86 of 766
10 May 2014 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Surrealix, the new Twitter bot page looks great! I thought I had reached the wrong page when I first saw it; very well
done!

Thanks so much for your hard work...it's making this challenge even more fun :-).

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5022 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 87 of 766
10 May 2014 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:

Something I've had in the back of my mind for a while is implementing a type of
badge/reward system to help with motivation. I've gone ahead and implemented this, but
the thresholds, conditions, and display can all be changed easily and I'd love to hear
some input on this.

On your profile page you can now see your current 'Sprint' and 'Streak'. These are the
number of continuous days or weeks you've reported studying to the twitter bot. I
realise some people - myself included - only tweet when we've finished a complete book
or watched a complete movie. You don't have to pay attention to these awards, and
ignoring them isn't going to affect your challenge score.

For me this is the most important part of the challenge. Consistently working with the language over the next 20 months. I personally have a habit of working in fits and starts. I'm a bit like the dog in Pixar film "Up". I have a tendency to get ...

SQUIRREL!!

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4015 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 88 of 766
10 May 2014 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:
As you may have noticed, there's been an update to the Twitter Bot's webpage! If you
haven't seen it, head over there
now
to take a look.

Surrealix, this looks great! Many thanks for your work, and now all the best for your Supper Challenge!

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version