766 messages over 96 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 ... 95 96 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 153 of 766
11 May 2014 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
If no one is on top and you all only care about competing against yourselves, why are you so fiercely defending the change?
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 154 of 766
11 May 2014 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
While I think the idea of consistency rankings is good in principle, doesn't the weekly streak that surrealix is implementing already fit the bill? If you have something else in mind, that might just get more complicated. We could barely come up with the definition of a book; it will take us many pages of discussion to come to a definition of what consistency means.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 155 of 766
11 May 2014 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
I'm saying stop arguing about everything and all the time.

Make your point once. Some ideas will be incorporated. Some won't. This is true for all
of us - not everything I've suggested or wanted made the final cut. I accept this.

It sometimes seems that you take it personally if your ideas don't make the cut. It's not
healthy for you, or for the forum. We make our point, and move on.

Edited by kanewai on 11 May 2014 at 9:07pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 156 of 766
11 May 2014 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
While I think the idea of consistency rankings is good in principle, doesn't the weekly streak that surrealix is implementing already fit the bill? If you have something else in mind, that might just get more complicated. We could barely come up with the definition of a book; it will take us many pages of discussion to come to a definition of what consistency means.

AFAIU it's mostly about keeping track of the past streaks, and possibly having them affect the ranking.

It's not that I take it personally. Previously it was about having completely different values compared to Cristina, but now I've accepted that. However, the current rules encourage burnout and make the permission to do multiple challenges or half-challenges nearly pointless. Just like Cristina doesn't want newbies to think it's normal to do many languages for the challenge, I don't want anyone to think it's not normal to learn many languages, whether you do the Super Challenge in them or not.

Edited by Serpent on 11 May 2014 at 9:44pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 157 of 766
11 May 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I just checked the page. Over 300 films watched, and perhaps 200 books. I did a rough
count. Where are all the posts here on those?

This is the discussion thread, to discuss the challenge in general. The update thread is where some people are writing about what they've read and watched. For myself, I'm using my log to write about the books I've read and films I've watched.

There have been some very worthwhile discussions: Peter Mollenburg started an interesting discussion about the value of films. He got some very good responses, and I found new and useful information by reading and participating in the discussion. I was a bit disappointed that discussion got swallowed up by the controversy about ranking, and so I continued my thoughts on his log.

I have to agree, the most recent discussion about ranking hasn't been very pleasant. But perhaps that's just something we have to go through to polish and shape this marvellous challenge.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 158 of 766
11 May 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I just checked the page. Over 300 films watched, and perhaps 200 books. I did a rough count. Where are all the posts here on those?

I think there's another thread for updates and reaching milestones, but I'm game here. :D

The first book I read was the Spanish version of Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. Her latest book (Gone Girl) has gotten a lot of attention lately, but for some reason this one grabbed me first.

On one hand, it's a good story. A little girl's family is brutally murdered, and her older brother is put in jail for it. Twenty-some years later, as the donation monies are running out, she starts working with "justice groups" that want to prove her brother innocent. At first, she is just doing it for the money, but as she learns more, I think she starts to want to know the truth.

There's lots of violence (obviously), lots of darkness, Satanic crap, drugs, and more stuff that is typically not my thing. From the beginning, it seemed obvious that the older brother didn't do it. And as you go further into the story, you kind of wonder. Maybe he did. The author goes back and forth between Libby's life now (and the investigation), and the days leading up to that fateful night. I kept reading because I wanted to know who did it. But I'm not sure I enjoyed the journey - if that makes any sense. It was gruesome and warped. I suppose if you like that kinda stuff, it was a good book. I suppose it was a good book anyway, since it kept me turning pages until I figured out who did it. It was certainly good for some colorful vocabulary. :D

I'm currently reading (the translation of) The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I'm only about 100 pages into it, so I'll let you know more as I get further. :D

I'm watching Revolution dubbed in Spanish. I started watching the series last year, when there were only the first ten episodes out. It was interesting. The whole post-apocalyptic thing. Some scientific nerds basically turned the lights off (worldwide) on purpose. To save the world or some nonsense. But they can turn them back on, if they want to. At least, that was the plan (and we all know how that goes!) The first half of season one looked promising, enough to bring me back to see what happened (albeit more than a year later). I probably should have stayed away, because it just got bad, then worse. I've only got a handful of episodes left, so I will probably finish them. Thank God they cancelled the show after the second season. :D

I just ordered the whole Buffy series off eBay for $45. My daughter wants to learn Spanish, and even though it didn't work so well with the +1 challenge last fall, I'm thinking if we watch something fun together, it might give her a boost. I'm hoping to work through Michel Thomas with her over the course of the summer, plus watch TV. She wants to watched Charmed, too. Between the two series, that's 15 seasons of TV shows to watch.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 159 of 766
11 May 2014 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
[QUOTE=kanewai]

I'm watching Revolution dubbed in Spanish. I started
watching the series last year, when there were only the first ten episodes out. It was interesting. The whole post-
apocalyptic thing. Some scientific nerds basically turned the lights off (worldwide) on purpose. To save the world
or some nonsense. But they can turn them back on, if they want to. At least, that was the plan (and we all know
how that goes!) The first half of season one looked promising, enough to bring me back to see what happened
(albeit more than a year later). I probably should have stayed away, because it just got bad, then worse. I've only
got a handful of episodes left, so I will probably finish them. Thank God they cancelled the show after the second
season. :D

Hahahaha! I'm actually laughing out loud over here. We bingeV-watched that show on Netflix last year. And I'm
not sure why…it really stinks!!!! But then, I openly admit that I'm a sucker for anything post-apocalyptic and/or
dystopian. If you're looking for a Spanish-language TV show in that vein, I'd (almost sort of) recommend La Fuga:

La Fuga / The Escape

Basic storyline: near future jail on a defunct oil rig houses criminals - and political dissidents, of course. Woman
becomes a guard - but only to break her husband out of jail. It starts out really compelling. The last 2 or 3
episodes are pretty terrible, but I'd still say that I enjoyed the series overall. How's that for a convincing review?
Ha! No, but really, I did enjoy it.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 160 of 766
11 May 2014 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I have immense respect for Cristina but clearly she's putting in more effort than most people above her?

That seems likely, at least in case of those who haven't logged any books yet, including myself. There's definitely always been an imbalance between how much effort the film part takes compared to books. In the end, only time will tell who put in the most effort. And regarding how different everyone's level is that's not even to say that those who complete the challenge will be the ones who put in the most effort. The measuring system will never be completely fair, I think that would pretty much be impossible with this challenge. But I agree with the statement that the current default system seems more in tune with the way the challenge was intended originally. But I'd also be cool with a random order default sorting (maybe excluding the people/languages who haven't logged anything yet) where everyone can just click whatever pleases or motivates them the most.

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version