Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 169 of 766
11 May 2014 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
On the topic of whether movies are less effective:

I learned English largely by reading lots while studying with textbooks and worrying about speech later. I learned Korean largely by watching lots of TV while studying with textbooks. There are pros and cons to both approaches.

It was difficult and really uncomfortable to get my listening skills in English up to speed. I vaguely knew lots of vocabulary and had a good understanding of grammar, but not so much of spontaneous speech.

My experiences with Korean have been very different. From TV I had a good pronunciation and listening skills. I found that my intuitive understanding of the language was a lot better than that of my classmates. Being familiar with conversational Korean took away a lot of language anxiety, especially regarding active usage. It helped me a lot more with understanding the culture and how to act and speak appropriately than reading could ever have.

Nowadays my skills for reading and listening are leveling. Reading was a hard nut to crack, harder than with English, and I was glad to have had lots of exposure to other native materials before I attempted it. There's been a lot of synergy between reading and listening skills. First listening helped with reading accurately and now reading helps me improve my listening skills. I think both are important - they help with different things. Neglecting one in favor of the other will lead to problems with your weaker skill later on. Those problems can always be removed with more exposure, but it might be unpleasant and you might feel like you should be able to understand more.

Of course, it depends on how you use your resources and how much you actually pay attention to them. Their effectiveness also depends on whether you picked them wisely. I doubt watching lots of Korean movies with mumbling characters would have been as effective as watching fairly predictable TV dramas, for example. A book that is very difficult for you and uses literary, possibly archaic language will not be as beneficial for gaining B1 or B2 skills as easier materials covering everyday language.
6 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5262 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 170 of 766
12 May 2014 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
But for the love of God, let us focus on the studying....

I just want to say I understand :) If one is empathetic enough they can understand both
sides of an argument, ahem, i mean discussion. And I just happen to be amazingly gifted
with that amazing gift. So peoples, if you ever need some insight please come to me,
i'm pretty awesome....

Just to be clear i'm having fun, not having a go at any one. I'm happy, you're happy,
the birds are singing.

I totally agree, let's get on with studying, and Solfrid Cristin. Thanks so much for
this challenge. Truly.
Getting on with the study, actually sounds like a good idea :) 'nuff said, except...

check it...
I'm an MC straight up in da HTLAL
I'm gonna like study so much you'll be like "far out man, I can't compete with that,
what the hell?!"
That dude PM is comin up in da place, he like so cool
Word, I represent for all, all meaning all of me, foolz
You read a book a day
I read a book a second
You watch a film a day
I watch a film a year
and you'll be bettin'
Bettin' you're about to defeat me in the number of films hey?
and i'll be like i was just restin' and then i'll watch 727 films in a day
Don't even get in my way, in fact try, you know why?
I won't even notice, like you some kind of miniature, minute fly
This be MC Esprit aka PeterMollenburg
I'm on top of the leaderboard meaning near the top kind of, not exactly
care to disagree dont be comin at me
This is the best language ever used
So don't even distract me
Gimme my medals and trophies up in this SC
I'm like, doing too much winning like, that's just me
Can't help my gifts, know what i'm sayin? Like for realz,
I'm out peoples, best give up, you know the deal

6 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 171 of 766
12 May 2014 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Peter, I sorely needed that laugh right now :-)

I'll say as one of the characters in a Swedish children's show used to say when they tuned out for the night:
Simma lugnt :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 172 of 766
12 May 2014 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
Cristina, can you just please clarify why you've changed your mind compared to the posts I linked to?
Few people succeeded even in one language, but the rules were also different. Apart from the official finishers, I've counted 24 (!) challenges where the reading part amounts to what the current half-challenge is. I'm even inclined to think that some of these people could've achieved more if they were doing more languages (just look at kujichagulia). You've said it yourself that two half-challenges are as impressive as one full challenge. In practice I don't think it's true.
The bot makes things official, just like Conchita's victory makes things official.

As for starting my own challenge, I've written a bit about that here. If anyone is interested, for now let's discuss it in my log. Or start a thread if you have a specific idea.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5181 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 173 of 766
12 May 2014 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
[QUOTE=Jeffers] My view would be that a gold medal is for 100 percent consistency, i.e. no break in the chain. Meaning you've posted some type of action book or film each week. Then Silver for 90-99% consistent and Bronze for 75-89%. This would be based on the total number of weeks since commencement on the 1st of May. Implementation is easy it is the total number of reported actions divided by the total number of weeks the challenge has been running.

Yea, but the problem with this is that it might take me three weeks to read a book, and I will only log it when I'm finished. Or it might take me a month to go through a season of Buffy, but I will probably wait and log it all at once. So even though I'm being consistent, it's not going to show with something like that.

Anyways, I think (from what Cristina said) things are going to mostly stand the way they are. We will have weekly streak badges next to our names/languages. I just wanted to throw my two cents in. :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 174 of 766
12 May 2014 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Serpent, as a football fan, being familiar with the fact national leagues are mostly
round-robyn systems instead of playoffs, you should know already that it's useless to
state at any time too soon that if the championship ended today team Y would be the
champion and this or that team would be relegated to the 2nd division =D
3 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4995 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 175 of 766
12 May 2014 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

i'm pretty awesome....
check it...
I'm an MC straight up in da HTLAL...

You da man, PeterMollenburg!

And for even more awesomeness, can you translate that into French as your own little personal mid-May
Challenge? <smile>

Edited by songlines on 12 May 2014 at 1:18am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 176 of 766
12 May 2014 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
@Expugnator, I think that's more similar to a player coming to a new team. The first season is rough, but he (or she, for that matter) has a good pre-season and in the new season he finally knows what he's doing. But the coach leaves early in the season and when the new one arrives, suddenly the player feels like his whole career is in ruins...

It's not that I want to log all my learning, it's just that I don't want to feel discouraged from doing English, Finnish and Spanish like I was during the previous challenge. And I'm aiming for half-challenges in almost all my languages.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version