Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 177 of 766
12 May 2014 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It's not that I want to log all my learning, it's just that I don't want to feel discouraged from doing English, Finnish and Spanish like I was during the previous challenge. And I'm aiming for half-challenges in almost all my languages.

Serpent, it's actually your very own decision whether you will feel personally discouraged by a change in the bot's rankings. Of course there are circumstances in life which we didn't predict would happen, but our choices as to what we make of them largely determine whether we'll feel like unhappy victims or people who don't let life's stresses get them down too much.
Not having everything displayed in one chunk or currently being at the top of the list doesn't actually take away from any of your intended achievements. Do you really carry so little conviction for the merit of your language study decisions that this change discourages you from pursuing your decided plan of action? It probably won't deter you. I certainly hope it won't.

The thing is, there are people who would like the bot to list people the way it did before and there are people who are happy with this change. From what I read here a lot of people couldn't even care less, some people are happy with the new system and a few are unhappy about it and some would favor even another display method. Why not give a different bunch of people the chance to be very happy with the format this time around?

Edited by druckfehler on 12 May 2014 at 2:03am

4 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 178 of 766
12 May 2014 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

i'm pretty awesome....
check it...
I'm an MC straight up in da HTLAL...

You da man, PeterMollenburg!

And for even more awesomeness, can you translate that into French as your own little
personal mid-May
Challenge? <smile>

haha! tnx but no tnx... you know as well as I do- pfft everyone knows this- that as rap
is a very culturally specific composition, that it represents experiences truly
relevant to certain locations, that to translate this into French would be an insult to
it's urban birth place. Could I do it? Absolutely, but I don't want to confuse some of
my fans out there and insult the rest. I'm best to create a truly independent French
rap. For that, I need to stop posting and actually study ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 179 of 766
12 May 2014 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
I get dragged into this again and again...

druckfehler wrote:
Why not give a different bunch of people the chance to be very happy with the format this time around?

Because if they can't put in the same total effort as I do, that's not my fault. And ironically it's those same people telling me to take it less seriously. But if I don't stand up for accepting different learning styles, who else will? How many people might be discouraged by that? Perhaps more than those discouraged by me voicing my opinion. I don't understand why those who think I'm arguing can't just ignore the discussion threads and simply log their progress, btw. They're just competing against themselves, right?

Besides, this ranking was supposed to be just an experiment. I was sincerely hoping that Cristina would see it and say she still stands by what she said during the previous challenge. Because such a change should've been discussed much, much earlier.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 180 of 766
12 May 2014 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
Um, what's happening? I think pretty much everyone agrees that old ranking should at least be available. Really hope that's just some work in progress issue.

Also, I've now tweeted that I watched "how to learn anything in 20 hours" and despite the quotation marks, the bot took that as the time. Even with that I wasn't where I should be, lol.

edit: aah nifty. has it been averaged? I'm now even further down the ranking but at least this will motivate me to read :D
also seems like it remembers which sorting you prefer.
and I still remember some Esperanto! i'm pretty sure it should be "kian lingvon" at the bottom :)

Edited by Serpent on 12 May 2014 at 4:18am

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4364 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 181 of 766
12 May 2014 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Good gracious. I woke up this morning and my inbox had exploded. I've read through all
the posts, looked at everyone's opinions, and made some more changes. It's never going
to please everybody, but hopefully this solution will please the majority.

Before I go into details though, I just want to point out that The rules of the
Super Challenge haven't changed
. Just the way the participants are displayed.

First up, I've removed the daily streak badges - sorry folks who already had one. I'm
keen to reuse the icon for some other motivational thing (maybe one of Cristina's mini-
challenges later on), so watch this space. Everyone liked the weekly streak badge, so
that's here to stay.

Eagle32 wrote:
Make the default list order randomised rather than sorted. Everyone
has to click to sort by the order they prefer.

I liked this idea. When you first visit the site, participants are now listed in a
random order.

The main reason I wrote the twitter bot was to track your own progress - not to run a
highscores list. I'm not going to drop the rankings completely, but there are so many
different ways to measure progress that coming up with one "official" list is never
going to work (as we've just seen). So now you get to choose the method you prefer when
you first visit the page. It'll keep track of this for you so you don't have to sort
the table every time.

I've made a couple of other changes, keeping in mind the aim of the Super Challenge:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
It is a very specific challenge intended for one language where
you want to see a considerable progress.

Order 1: (click on 'participant')

This isn't supposed to be a ranking of "most effort" - that's the stars, which are
talked about below.

Serpent wrote:
And the current ranking system favours excessive movie sprees.

Jeffers wrote:
If surrealix could base the ranking on an average between books and
films [...] this will at least be reduced a bit.

This was a common suggestion, and a good idea, so the number of books and films are now
weighted by their totals. In effect, this means that if more people watch films, they
have less of an effect on the ranking than books. If more people start reading books,
the opposite will happen. And if everyone reads the same amount of books and films,
then the ranking will simply be the total amount of study done.

Jeffers wrote:
By percent of best language completed [...]

This has also been implemented.

Order 2-4:

Sorting by language, books, and films hasn't changed - it should be fairly obvious what
this does.

Order 5: (click above the stars)

Kerrie wrote:
Also, I would really like to see anyone who has completed a FULL
challenge at the top of the list.

Yes, I agree this was a problem with the table last year. Now, if you click on the
column above the stars, the entries are ranked by the number of stars they've achieved.
This means that anyone who's finished a full challenge will appear above entries that haven't.

Serpent wrote:
Also, I've now tweeted that I watched "how to learn anything in 20
hours" and despite the quotation marks, the bot took that as the time.

Ah, I think I've run into that problem before. I've put it on the to-do list!

Eagle32 wrote:
Then no one is happy, which is the sign of a good compromise. ;)

So judging by the debate in this thread, I think we're pretty close to a good
compromise ;-).

Edited by surrealix on 12 May 2014 at 4:28am

11 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 182 of 766
12 May 2014 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Great, thank you! And fascinating to understand how exactly it works.
Now that I think of it, the ranking by best language percentage should be no problem. I do remember the original sentiment of "if you do 47 half challenges, at least do one full challenge too!", and I'm doing a full challenge in Italian. The full challenge is manageable enough in at least one language, and more if the conditions are favourable.

I really, really don't want to be a pain, but I don't think there's a way for me to view the random ranking anymore? Is it possible to add a button for that and remember it just like other sortings?

Edited by Serpent on 12 May 2014 at 4:46am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 183 of 766
12 May 2014 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
...I don't think there's a way for me to view the random ranking anymore? Is it possible to add a button for that and remember it just like other sortings?

The refresh button works for me. EDIT: I thought it was working, but now it's not.... hmm....

Edited by Jeffers on 12 May 2014 at 8:20am

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4343 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 184 of 766
12 May 2014 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
and I still remember some Esperanto! i'm pretty sure it should be "kian lingvon" at the bottom :)

If the intention was to say "Which language will you study?" it should be "kiun lingvon" ("kian lingvon" would be "what kind of language") :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version