United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 193 of 766
12 May 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Surrealix, for the weekly badges, when does a week start/end ?

EDIT: Apparently, great minds think alike. :D

Is the weekly badge just doing "something" for the language? ie - it can be either reading or watching?

Edited by Kerrie on 12 May 2014 at 4:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 194 of 766
12 May 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
I wonder, why is there still so much discussion going on about the counting and ranking? :-D Use the badges or not. I don't use any "current streak" badges because I don't count in things every day or week, I count the number of pages after I've finished the books. But that doesn't mean someone else couldn't find the badge motivating! My suggestion is not to take away books for excessive complaining, that would be cruel. But lets complain in target languages only ;-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4091 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 195 of 766
12 May 2014 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Wow, this has become quite an active topic.

Do I need to watch entire films to count them, or can I also count short clips that I
watch online, as long as it totals up to 90 minutes?

I've been watching a few short hockey clips in Finnish, with interviews and whatnot
(understanding almost nothing, yay for beginner status!), since those are easier to find
than Finnish films. Can I count them, even if they are usually quite short?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 196 of 766
12 May 2014 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Yes, you can count them. В свое время I also found hockey videos very useful!
You should be able to find something at vk, btw. Also, I absolutely love the soundtrack of Jäätynyt enkeli. AFAIU it's part of a series about Jussi Vares, a detective, but it can be watched as a standalone.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 197 of 766
12 May 2014 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:
Serpent wrote:
I don't think there's a way for me to view the random ranking anymore?

You can click the "Clear Local Data" link at the bottom of the page, which will forget
all your preferences. I might add a random button later, but there are other
things higher on the to-do list at the moment.

Is it possible to move this link to the top of the page, along with the bot's time? Maybe hidden by default?

Also, I feel funny correcting your English, but the current usage is mostly "tweet your progress" (or report), not "twitter" which still keeps its original meaning as a verb. (I think it can also be used more generally to mean "be on twitter, use twitter", especially as in "I can't twitter")

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4649 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 198 of 766
12 May 2014 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Bumped from the closed thread:

sfuqua wrote:
I am new to all this, and I don't know where to post a question.
Here perhaps? What kind of results as far as learning did people get from the last
super challenge? Did anybody feel they made a big jump, say B1 to C1 or something?

Short version: A massive jump in reading, a moderate jump in comprehension, a huge and
unexpected jump in speaking.

Long version:

Pre- challenge it would take me three weeks to work my way through a graphic novel, and
I spent seven weeks just on the first couple hundred pages of Jules Verne's Vingt
milles sur les mers
- which is supposed to be an "easy" read.

In the beginning I used lots of parallel texts, and would check an English translation
out from the library to help me through the books. (note: this was considered poor form
at the University - we were supposed to struggle through the French with only a
dictionary - but I found it be immensely beneficial). I struggled through a few
classics with my kindle, which is an amazing tool for language learning.

100 books later, and I'm comfortable picking up a contemporary French paperback and
reading it without a dictionary. And it's enjoyable - I can read for pleasure; it's no
longer "work." I still prefer reading on my kindle for authors with large
vocabularies, or for those from the 19th Century.    

French movies stayed hard the entire time, but this might be a French-specific
difficulty. I notice that I can understand more of Italian and Spanish movies, even
though I know far less of those languages. I can watch French tv somewhat decently,
the language there seems simpler than in the movies.

The biggest surprise for me was the impact it had on my speaking ability. About every
three or four months I would work through another chapter of FSI (which really
helped!), and I reviewed Pimsleur for a month before a trip to France. That was it. And
yet I was able to communicate more fluently than I ever had before. It really was
unexpected - there were times when I thought: Did I really just say that? And how
the hell did I know how to say that?
Somehow all that passive reading leaked over
into my active speaking skills.

(note that SC I had 1 book = 100 pages, so this involved double the amount of reading
as SC II. I'd say go for this if you can, even though it would be your own goal and not
an official goal.)

Edited by kanewai on 12 May 2014 at 9:53pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4525 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 199 of 766
12 May 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
That sounds exciting, kanewai. I've been stuck at low intermediate Spanish for about 18 months now. I know that that is typical, but I'm certainly ready to "move on up."

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3819 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 200 of 766
12 May 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I already notice a change in my reading comprehension. I'm a beginner of Spanish (actually I took a course at university for a year, but didn't have the impression that I learned much.. so I started on my own again and quite enjoy it.. even If I haven't got much further in grammar and so on, I'm doing huge steps towards every day vocab - instead of the university limited one...)

So, I started with something very easy (Lola Lago - Vacaciones al sol) I still have to look up A LOT to understand anything, but I have some passages where I manage to just read and guess the words from context. It's not the greates story so far (however, I'm still at the beginning) but I enjoy reading it, because I understand much. And I look up everything in order to build my vocab. This is more interesting than just picking words up from a "most used words"-list or whatever. And I enjoy this more than if I would read it without understanding it. I'm very slow, but I'm happy.

And further into the challeng, I do think that I will improve very much. I don't know yet, whether I manage to finish it with this speed of reading :D But I don't care as long as I continue at least weekly, I think I will defenitley benefit from this challenge.

And for the other stuff (learning vocab with anki, grammar exercises, etc) I use the 6WC to make me DO anything :D

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version