Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4874 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 209 of 766
13 May 2014 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
I just caught up on all these Super Challenge threads, so I missed my chance to participate in the debate (probably for the best), but I just wanted to thank Surrealix for a great compromise on the table sorting!

It moved me way down in the list, but that's because I've only watched movies so far, and I totally respect that people who have been reading have accomplished more than me. This just gives my competitive nature more motivation to move up the list. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 210 of 766
14 May 2014 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
Not nagging, but did you miss this post? Or are you unsure yourself what to do about these?
Serpent wrote:

surrealix wrote:

First up, I've removed the daily streak badges - sorry folks who already had one. I'm
keen to reuse the icon for some other motivational thing (maybe one of Cristina's mini-
challenges later on), so watch this space. Everyone liked the weekly streak badge, so
that's here to stay.

Does the week start on Monday or Sunday? Or does it essentially mean never going more than 7 days without updating?
Do you plan to implement anything else, like especially past streaks and longest streak? I don't necessarily mean graphs but any long-term representation.

Quote:
Jeffers wrote:
By percent of best language completed [...]

This has also been implemented.

And what happens when someone completes more than 100%? Many are aiming for double challenges.

Also, is the percentage affected by the books/movies distribution? Like, is there a difference between completing 4% as 8 movies, 4 books/4 movies or 8 books in your best language? I'm not complaining, just trying to understand the logic of this (where 7/1 at the bottom is just my best language, my totals being 20+/5).

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4363 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 211 of 766
14 May 2014 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And what happens when someone completes more than 100%? Many are
aiming for double challenges.

Serpent wrote:
Also, is the percentage affected by the books/movies distribution?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by percentage? There's no percentage measured
anywhere by the bot any more, for the same reason I don't show the books-per-week
calculation - I simply don't know the goal to measure a percentage of.

Serpent wrote:
just trying to understand the logic of
this

What column are you sorting by to get this? It might be a bug.

When I click 'participant', I get this. If I sort by stars, your entries are scattered down the list, but the
one with 7/1 is at the top, followed by 3/1, 2/1 etc.

Edited by surrealix on 14 May 2014 at 2:48am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 212 of 766
14 May 2014 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
I mean percentage of the best language completed. You said this was implemented. (or what exactly does your reply to Jeffers mean? I quoted it)

That's various people's entries, mine are indeed the way you screencapped them. I just don't understand why someone with 3 books and 4 movies is ahead of me, or someone with 6 books and 0 movies for that matter. I'm not criticizing the ranking, just trying to understand it.

Edited by Serpent on 14 May 2014 at 3:07am

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4363 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 213 of 766
14 May 2014 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
[...] what exactly does your reply to Jeffers mean? I quoted it

[..] I just don't understand why someone with 3 books and 4 movies is ahead of me, or
someone with 6 books and 0 movies for that matter. I'm not criticizing the ranking,
just trying to understand it.

Ah okay, I understand what you're asking now. The number of books and films is
inversely weighted by how popular each category is. If more people watch films they
have less of an effect on the ranking than books, and vice versa. The position in the list
is only based on your highest ranking language.

At the moment far more films have been watched than books read. This is why you see
people with books ahead of you in the rankings.

If you want to work it out by hand, the formulas are (roughly):

Participant Ranking =
     MAX( {EntryPagesRead / TotalPagesRead +
              EntryMinutesWatched / TotalMinutesWatched} from all Participant Entries )

Star Ranking = MIN( FLOOR(EntryPagesRead / (50 * 25)) +
                             FLOOR(EntryMinutes Watched   ; / (90 * 25)) )
                      IF EQUAL THEN USING
                           FLOOR( EntryPagesRead / (50 * 25)) +
                           FLOOR( EntryMinutesWatched / (90 * 25))
                      IF EQUAL THEN USING
                           (EntryPagesRead / (50 * 25) + EntryMinutesWatched / (90 * 25))

Kerrie wrote:
I think the way it's set up, the books are weighted more heavily than
the movies (at the moment) - but this is because people have logged a lot more movies
than books. If there were an equal number of movies and books logged, they would be
weighted equally.

Yes, this.

Edited by surrealix on 14 May 2014 at 3:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5154 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 214 of 766
14 May 2014 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I mean percentage of the best language completed. You said this was implemented. (or what exactly does your reply to Jeffers mean? I quoted it)

That's various people's entries, mine are indeed the way you screencapped them. I just don't understand why someone with 3 books and 4 movies is ahead of me, or someone with 6 books and 0 movies for that matter. I'm not criticizing the ranking, just trying to understand it.

I think the way it's set up, the books are weighted more heavily than the movies (at the moment) - but this is because people have logged a lot more movies than books. If there were an equal number of movies and books logged, they would be weighted equally.

EDIT: Yea, what he said. :D

Edited by Kerrie on 14 May 2014 at 3:47am

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4945 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 215 of 766
14 May 2014 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
I think it has to do with books being weighted more heavily than movies. The other thing
I've noticed is it looks like the fewer languages your stuff is spread across, if they
are the same amount of books and films, the higher you are on the list?

Edit: what they said :P

Edited by hjordis on 14 May 2014 at 3:48am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5154 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 216 of 766
14 May 2014 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Surrealix, I don't know programming so maybe this is obvious to others, but the participant ranking (the code you have here) - is that based only on the most active language?

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version