Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
766 messages over 96 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32 ... 95 96 Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5047 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 249 of 766
16 May 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
The "winners" of this challenge are those who are motivated to start using native materials to improve a language. Christina's challenge has created a lot of winners already- whether they finish the challenge or not.

For a long time, HTLAL was heavily biased towards formal self-learning courses. Now, we see more and more people moving towards adding in native materials and that's a good thing for learning one language or fifty.

Obviously, the nature of this particular challenge favors those who are concentrating on improving one language. It would be pretty difficult for someone to do this with more than one language and get very far. That's just the nature of it. That likely means that someone with multiple languages doesn't stand a realistic chance of winning a competition with those who are just concentrating on one language, but that's NOT the goal of this challenge. It's not really about "beating" other people. The challenge is with yourself. The challenge is for yourself. The prize isn't a "star" or a gold cup or whatever. The real prize is improving your language skills. Don't get so caught up in outside competition that you forget the inside competition which is your own.

Keep your eyes on the (real) prize. Good luck everyone! :)

Edited by iguanamon on 16 May 2014 at 10:35pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4971 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 250 of 766
16 May 2014 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
I agree that certain challenges suit certain learning styles. However, the reason I
prefer the super challenge doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's better
for focusing on one language(although I do do better with maximum 3 serious languages
at a time, preferably 2.)

I like the super challenge because of its focus on concrete goals. Rather than saying
"do as much as you can in this time period," the super challenge says "I want to do
this much in this time period." So you have a goal to work towards and even if you
don't meet it you hopefully did more than you would have otherwise. I guess this also
has to do with my non-competitive spirit, which is why I'm not super concerned about
the bot rankings either.

The super challenge also suits my preference for massive input over other study styles,
which often end up feeling like too much of a chore for me to stick with.

Just my thoughts on what this challenge means to me, not aimed towards anyone. So
thanks for creating it Cristina. I know you never ever saw it getting so big, and you
do super work managing it all.

Edited by hjordis on 16 May 2014 at 10:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 251 of 766
16 May 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
SofijaJoi wrote:
From what I see, you didn't even finish a full challenge the first time around.

Besides which, I'm not sure that one "star" is overly impressive (unless you are starting from a very low level in the language).
That's 25 movies and 1250 pages, right? So it would average a movie a month and about two pages a day? That doesn't seem very
"super" to me. I imagine it would be more useful in the long run to actually focus on a handfull of languages rather than a
dozen.

But why would you need to neglect anything? Maintain what you know, and work on a few at a time. You are fooling yourself if you think you can make significant progress in 13 languages at a time. It's just not realistic.

I finished the equivalent of the current full challenge in two languages, and the current half challenge in one more.

You're ignoring synergy and diminishing returns. I'm tired of hearing my challenge is "not super enough".

True, I'm not really aiming for a "significant progress" in English. I just wanted to read in it without feeling guilty. For me this challenge is about balance, about setting specific goals (which is a half-challenge in most cases). I know better how much I need to read to make progress.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4674 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 252 of 766
16 May 2014 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
hjordis wrote:
The super challenge also suits my preference for massive input over other
study styles, which often end up feeling like too much of a chore for me to stick with.

What I've found works for me, through trial and error, is to focus on courses for the
first three to six months ... sometimes six to nine months ... and then make the big push
for native materials.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 253 of 766
16 May 2014 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
hjordis wrote:
I like the super challenge because of its focus on concrete goals. Rather than saying "do as much as you can in this time period," the super challenge says "I want to do this much in this time period." So you have a goal to work towards and even if you don't meet it you hopefully did more than you would have otherwise.

Yes, yes, I'm exactly like that, apart from being competitive. I don't see why some goals are considered better than others.

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4971 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 254 of 766
16 May 2014 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
hjordis wrote:
The super challenge also suits my preference for
massive input over other
study styles, which often end up feeling like too much of a chore for me to stick with.

What I've found works for me, through trial and error, is to focus on courses for the
first three to six months ... sometimes six to nine months ... and then make the big
push
for native materials.

Yeah that's exactly what I prefer to do these days. I'm still pretty picky about
courses, though. I absolutely can't use one that spends ages teaching you set tourist
phrases. I'm actually pretty fond of duolingo lately. Despite its flaws, something
about it suits me and gives me a decent foundation to start using the language. I do
think the verb lessons could be spread out more rather than having 1/2 or more grouped
towards the end, though. And I need to make myself do more output. It's something I've
been working on. With Spanish I've been having facebook conversations with my friend,
and it's amazing how much I can do at my beginner's level.

Edit: yes, as Kerrie said it doesn't necessarily have to be native either. Just
something meant for native speakers to consume, even if it was originally in a
different language. Although graded readers are pretty awesome too.

Edited by hjordis on 16 May 2014 at 11:26pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5180 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 255 of 766
16 May 2014 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
hjordis wrote:
The super challenge also suits my preference for massive input over other study styles, which often end up feeling like too much of a chore for me to stick with.

What I've found works for me, through trial and error, is to focus on courses for the first three to six months ... sometimes six to nine months ... and then make the big push for native materials.

It doesn't even have to be native materials, though. I've used a lot of translated books and dubbed movies/TV, too. I think the important thing is to see the language in action and use it. Native materials are better in the long run, but I have found translated books very helpful. :)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4951 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 256 of 766
16 May 2014 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
I think by native materials we just mean non-textbooks :)

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version