739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 297 of 766
19 May 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
It's strange that in college we were told that using parallel texts
would hurt our
French, and that we should not ever use them. In retrospect, it was perhaps the worst
language-learning advice I've ever heard.

I can see how it can be problematic when students forget that you're primarily reading
for the linguistic content rather than for the narritive content. I can imagine that in
language classes where not all students are very motivated to put the time in to learn,
there may be quite a few who'll just read the translation so they can participate in
discussions/take a comprehension quiz and call it a day.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5133 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 298 of 766
20 May 2014 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
[...]
I'm curious to hear what people's experiences with podcasts were in the last SC. [...]

Last time round I did an unofficial challenge with German. As my opinions are based on my personal experience, keep in mind that I used to be C1 when I finished studying German at university (later I let it rust way too much), but I never felt quite at home with the language. Let’s say I was proficient but not fluent.

For the audio part of the challenge I did mainly two things: I watched TV-movies on ARD and ZDF and I listened to radio drama podcasts from WDR. When you stream the movies there’s almost always the chance to use subtitles in German (they are thought for natives with hearing impairment, not for foreigners learning the language) and I usually opted to have them on.

I find that watching the movies and listening to the podcasts were two different activities helping with two different - if correlated - skills: the subtitled movies were useful mainly for improving my vocabulary, helping me memorize everyday words and expressions which my formal education based principally on literature had seriously neglected. Listening to radio dramas, on the other hand, provided a more holistic approach to comprehension: with no visual clues, it forced me to work on pure listening, teaching me to tolerate imperfect comprehension, dealing with ambiguity, and filling in the gaps of what I didn’t understand as fully as I hoped for. By the way, podcasts were never “background noise”: when I was listening, I was paying attention to what was going on, otherwise I’m not sure I would have benefited from it as much as I did.

So, I find that listening to podcasts can be as effective as watching films to improve your TL, even if the two seem to be complementary rather than equivalent activities.

Edited by Emme on 20 May 2014 at 4:08pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4551 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 299 of 766
20 May 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
I made a bilingual text of the first 10 pages of a bunch of the books on my list to read. My idea was to get exposed to a bunch of different idiolects right away. Of course I got hooked by the first book, and have switched to reading through it first. I find myself getting bored doing the rereading I was doing in the beginning, trying to drive words into my memory.
Maybe I'm already learning something. :)
Cien a`nos de soledad doesn't seem any easier yet :(
:)
1 person has voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4972 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 300 of 766
20 May 2014 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
I opened up the first French Harry Potter book to a random page and started reading.
It's so much easier than the first time I read it, way back at the beginning of the
last super challenge, even though I dropped out of that one. I'm getting a little tired
of Harry Potter, though, so I may read a couple of my shorter books once I finish the
one that I'm on. Although the next one IS my favorite...

Doctor Who is tiring me. Maybe sometime I'll get used to it and it won't take up so
much mental energy, but I'm not there yet. Yesterday I decided I needed a break from it
and watched a movie instead.

In other news, I've started reading tiny amounts of Spanish. Thank you whoever
mentioned Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as being super easy. It was on my list but
I didn't realize how easy it really is. That said, I'll still be doing just a couple of
pages at a time, because I'm focusing on French and Japanese reading at the moment.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3930 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 301 of 766
21 May 2014 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
hjordis wrote:
I opened up the first French Harry Potter book to a random page and started reading.
It's so much easier than the first time I read it, way back at the beginning of the
last super challenge, even though I dropped out of that one. I'm getting a little tired
of Harry Potter, though, so I may read a couple of my shorter books once I finish the
one that I'm on. Although the next one IS my favorite...

Doctor Who is tiring me. Maybe sometime I'll get used to it and it won't take up so
much mental energy, but I'm not there yet. Yesterday I decided I needed a break from it
and watched a movie instead.

In other news, I've started reading tiny amounts of Spanish. Thank you whoever
mentioned Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as being super easy. It was on my list but
I didn't realize how easy it really is. That said, I'll still be doing just a couple of
pages at a time, because I'm focusing on French and Japanese reading at the moment.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was the first Spanish book I ever read. It was such a huge confidence booster!
Harry Potter was way too hard for me until I'd made my way through four books at the same level as Charlie and
the Chocolate Factory. I always find it funny how many language learners seem to choose HP as their very first
book. They must have way more stamina than me!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4675 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 302 of 766
21 May 2014 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
Harry Potter is totally exhausting when you're reading at a snail's pace! Especially the
later, longer books. But it's also available on kindle, free if you have an amazon
account, and I'm not sure what other popular books are. I've seen Hunger Games on there
in a lot of languages. I looked for Percy Jackson, but that only seems to be available in
hard copy.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4675 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 303 of 766
21 May 2014 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
Also: what an amazing start to the challenge! Two stars already, and sixteen people have
logged more 10 or more books. I thought I was doing well, but I've got scroll pretty far
down to find my name : )

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3845 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 304 of 766
21 May 2014 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Also: what an amazing start to the challenge! Two stars already, and
sixteen people have
logged more 10 or more books. I thought I was doing well, but I've got scroll pretty
far
down to find my name : )

Yeah.. That's true.. Congrats to those who have a star already. And for all: keep
going.
I just have so much stuff going on in RL :D But there's still one and a half year left
(a bit more even) to read and watch :)

I'm really happy, that the challenge motivated me to continue with my English novels I
started and then instead of reading in my free time I only look around the internet and
time passes too fast.. then it's time to go to bed and I won't read then...

In Spanish I already realize some progress, however, I paused for a few days because of
university. And I'm still slow. But Lola Lago is not really the story you want to read
in one day because it's exciting.. It's not a bad story either.. I like it because it's
the right level for me. After that I'm going to read some more graded readers.. Or at
least I plan to.. If they are too boring I might even buy a book, so I can read it on
my ereader (normally I only lend books from library because after reading them once I
normally don't read them again... I'm just too slow and there are so many other books
:D) My library, however, has few Spanish novels that interst me and because I like the
dictionary function of my ereader, I want to buy the ebooks...
Paperback books are nice to look at and to have the "book feeling", but especially for
novels in foreign languages I prefer the reader.

It would be cool to have a reader with anki and a function to add new words (i know
that the kindle has a vocabulary trainer, but i don't have this one and I don'T know
whether this trainer ist very useful... if someone does have a kindle PW, I'd be very
thankful for a small statement/ review on the vocab tool..), but I just mark words
after looking them up and put them into anki later on.. That results in not missing the
"flow" (only a bit, while reading the translation of the word) and still being able to
track the unknown words :D

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version