Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 337 of 766
26 May 2014 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
Serpent, I realized we were in the 5th week, but I assumed we would get a 5 week streak at the end of the 5th week.

Surrealix, thanks for the response.

Peter, if you hover your mouse over it, it shows how long your streak is. That brings up a question: does it only show up for people with the longest streaks?
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 338 of 766
26 May 2014 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
Tnx Jeffers
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 339 of 766
29 May 2014 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
The original idea was this:
surrealix wrote:
There's also one for the number of consecutive weeks - at 5, 10 and 20.

I assume the colour stands for the number of weeks, and the longest streak info on hover is just supplemental information that doesn't affect anything.
Maybe with the daily streak removed there are going to be badges for other numbers of weeks too. (I think a "junior" 2 week badge would be very encouraging and fits the spirit of the idea with the daily streak. it would be attainable over a weekend) I sure hope that if someone studies for like 52 weeks (1 year) or even every week of the challenge, they'll be rewarded somehow too :)

Also, a few more things:

-are the badges supposed to be colour-coded only in the ranking table, but not the user page?
-does editing an older entry count or not? it would make sense to count it, but only if you add more pages/minutes, not just edit the title. maybe it's too much of a hassle though - I think editing is used mostly to fix errors, not to actually add more book pages a week or more after submitting.
-would it be possible to have some sort of sign denoting that you've posted an update during the current week? like a check-mark or similar. i'm used to weeks starting at midnight on monday, not around midday on sunday;) I'm not asking to change that, and I think any setting will be arbitrary for some people. but it would be good to know whether you'll lose your badge if you don't update before the end of the week.

Edited by Serpent on 29 May 2014 at 12:49am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 340 of 766
29 May 2014 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

Maybe with the daily streak removed there are going to be badges for other numbers of weeks too. (I think a "junior" 2 week badge would be very encouraging and fits the spirit of the idea with the daily streak. it would be attainable over a weekend) I sure hope that if someone studies for like 52 weeks (1 year) or even every week of the challenge, they'll be rewarded somehow too :)

I like the way you're thinking. The junior badge idea would be great, and a special 1 year streak would be brilliant too. I'm not sure about the badge for studying every week of the challenge, because there are a lot of people who started late who could never attain it. On the other hand, I expect to have entered something for French every week of the challenge, so it appeals to me. But a one year streak badge would be more ecumenical.

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3819 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 341 of 766
29 May 2014 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
@Jeffers: The one year streak would be nice for some people. But I see a big problem.
What about you are doing something every week but you are on holidays for two weeks
without internet or very unsecure or expensive WLAN or so. And you don't post on
twitter but plan to update after your holiday. When its just in the middle of the
challenge and you updated every week up to that and every week after that you won't get
this badge... And I think this could be very demotivating. And even when the challenge
is for us to learn something, the badges are a motivational thing to "show off" how you
did to others. I mean to track your weekly streaks you don't need badges. They are in
my eyes to let others see what you archieved and that motivates one and makes feeling
good. But this yearly streak can have a bad side...
And the streaks and badges are just some extra-motivation... with a yearly streak some
(very competitive) people could end up being "forced" to not leave out a week commented
on twitter. And I think it is not the goal of the challenge to update every week, but
to DO something at all/every week...
4 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 342 of 766
01 June 2014 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
Kind of an odd question, but here goes...

How would one count a silent film in a TL? I'm assuming it would be regarded as a book since you are reading the intertitles, but how many sentences/words would a silent film of say 90 minutes or so actually contain? Any ideas?

I'm also content to just not count it as anything except a fun experience...

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4987 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 343 of 766
01 June 2014 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
Surrealix, do you think that you could put an explanation of how the participants column is ranked on the twitter bot results page? I hadn't been following the Super Challenge discussions since sometime in February, and when I first saw the ranked participants list, I was mystified as to what it meant. I quickly saw it was no longer ranked simply as all the books & movies done by a person, so then I thought it must be ranked by each language. I saw that wasn't right either. Then I figured maybe it wasn't ranked at all, but then I scrolled down and saw all the one's doing the most were toward the top and those doing nothing or little were towards the bottom. Next, I thought books must be weighted more, but I saw it wasn't a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. Finally, I gave up and started going through the dozens and dozens of pages of posts in the old and new Super Challenge discussion threads that I had missed. A long time later I finally found a couple of explanatory posts about how this column is ranked.

It was only in this long thread too that I learned that the right hand column sorts by total done in each language and not just by stars, and I hadn't the slightest idea of what "clear local data" meant until I read it here. I think it would be nice to have a straightforward explanation about the stars and badges on the page too.

What ever happened to the original goal of simplifying things? For something as opaque as the results list is now, I can't help think that there needs to be an explanation that goes along with it on the same page (I even wasted a bit of time looking for rhyme or reason in the random list--LOL!). That would have saved me a lot of time and confusion and could perhaps help someone in the future (we had people joining throughout the last challenge, after all).

This explanatory stuff aside (which I hope you don't take as criticism but as an observation of my own experiences and difficulties), I want to thank you very much for hosting the challenge again. Using Twitter certainly made it easier to keep track of the challenge last time and I am sure will again this time around.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 344 of 766
01 June 2014 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Kind of an odd question, but here goes...

How would one count a silent film in a TL? I'm assuming it would be regarded as a book since you are reading the intertitles, but how many sentences/words would a silent film of say 90 minutes or so actually contain? Any ideas?

I'm also content to just not count it as anything except a fun experience...

Interesting question. I don't think you could count it as a book, since Christina has already said that watching a film with target language subtitles still counts as watching. But either way you look at it, a silent film has very little language.

Edited by Jeffers on 01 June 2014 at 6:33am

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version