Triglot
United States
Joined 4381 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 345 of 766
01 June 2014 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
I'm just not going to count the silent film at all. Although I did fine reading the German intertitles (including Berlin dialect), I think they'd only be a few pages at most of real text, so just a drop in the sea of 20 months of reading.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 346 of 766
01 June 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
RMM wrote:
Surrealix, do you think that you could put an explanation of how the participants column is ranked on the twitter bot results page? I hadn't been following the Super Challenge discussions since sometime in February, and when I first saw the ranked participants list, I was mystified as to what it meant. I quickly saw it was no longer ranked simply as all the books & movies done by a person, so then I thought it must be ranked by each language. I saw that wasn't right either. Then I figured maybe it wasn't ranked at all, but then I scrolled down and saw all the one's doing the most were toward the top and those doing nothing or little were towards the bottom. Next, I thought books must be weighted more, but I saw it wasn't a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. Finally, I gave up and started going through the dozens and dozens of pages of posts in the old and new Super Challenge discussion threads that I had missed. A long time later I finally found a couple of explanatory posts about how this column is ranked.

It was only in this long thread too that I learned that the right hand column sorts by total done in each language and not just by stars, and I hadn't the slightest idea of what "clear local data" meant until I read it here. I think it would be nice to have a straightforward explanation about the stars and badges on the page too.

What ever happened to the original goal of simplifying things? For something as opaque as the results list is now, I can't help think that there needs to be an explanation that goes along with it on the same page (I even wasted a bit of time looking for rhyme or reason in the random list--LOL!). That would have saved me a lot of time and confusion and could perhaps help someone in the future (we had people joining throughout the last challenge, after all).

This explanatory stuff aside (which I hope you don't take as criticism but as an observation of my own experiences and difficulties), I want to thank you very much for hosting the challenge again. Using Twitter certainly made it easier to keep track of the challenge last time and I am sure will again this time around.

Um yeah very true.

BTW, I'm still not sure what will happen when someone reads over 100 books and/or watches 100 movies. The original idea was definitely to cut it there. True, people have different goals, but 100/100 is still the default one, and anyone going for more can get motivation from earning stars and just from completing their goals. For me the main difference between this challenge and Tadoku is aiming at larger units* and having clear goals.

*I find it very stressful to count every little bit I read and I can't do this on a long-term basis. Ironically I've now realized that one more problem for me is that with such a heavy emphasis on books, it's easier to either report as you go or focus on one book at a time. I have so many books where I'm yet to reach 50 pages since May 1...

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4648 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 347 of 766
01 June 2014 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Even though I'm personally aiming higher than 100 in some areas, I really hope that the
the ranking still gets capped at 100 (e.g. that 150 books won't rank any higher than
100).    

Mostly because this isn't a race to see who can do the most, but rather to see how many
of us can reach 100. Capping the results means that it's a more even playing field for
those who are beginners and those who are advanced. The advanced speakers might reach the
goal earlier, but we will all get there.
3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 348 of 766
01 June 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Even though I'm personally aiming higher than 100 in some areas, I really hope that the
the ranking still gets capped at 100 (e.g. that 150 books won't rank any higher than
100).    

Mostly because this isn't a race to see who can do the most, but rather to see how many
of us can reach 100. Capping the results means that it's a more even playing field for
those who are beginners and those who are advanced. The advanced speakers might reach the
goal earlier, but we will all get there.

Sorry but I don't see the reasoning. If a beginner gets to 100 in August of 2015, and an expert gets to 100 in August of 2014 why penalize the expert by capping at 100? They might lose the motivation to carry on to see just how well they really can do. I thought the idea was to encourage everyone to do as well as they possibly could?

Lets flip the coin and say the beginner working hard and reading books at their level gets to 100 first and they could end the challenge with 125 books if uncapped. But the expert just reads 100 books in the last 3 months of the challenge? Seems sort of unfair to me to cap anyone’s progress either beginner or expert.

I think we should be encouraging everyone to "shot for the stars" and to go to 100 and beyond. I think it should be a race to see just how much you can do. Not a race against each other necessarily, but a race to your personal best.

Nobody can do a Personal Best if they are restricted by the rules.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 349 of 766
01 June 2014 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
But you can still get more stars and continue keeping track. And your progress will be reflected in the last column.

Also, try Tadoku if you want to aim for your personal best :)

Edited by Serpent on 01 June 2014 at 12:48pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 350 of 766
01 June 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Is there a minimal length for consistency streaks?
These are my Finnish stats:

18 May 2014 johanna sinisalo - tapahtuu muumilaaksossa: puuvajan salaisuus 8 pages
23 May 2014 minna canth - köyhää kansaa
31 May 2014 tapahtuu muumilaaksossa: hunajamandariinit 7 pages

yet it displays no ongoing streak.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 351 of 766
01 June 2014 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Is there a minimal length for consistency streaks?
These are my Finnish stats:

18 May 2014 johanna sinisalo - tapahtuu muumilaaksossa: puuvajan salaisuus 8 pages
23 May 2014 minna canth - köyhää kansaa
31 May 2014 tapahtuu muumilaaksossa: hunajamandariinit 7 pages

yet it displays no ongoing streak.

I thought it was 4 weeks, but I could be wrong.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 352 of 766
01 June 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Well I meant the amount of material covered. two of these entries are under 10 pages.

I thought the consistency streaks were supposed to be displayed starting from two weeks. I know my Croatian three weeks of consistency were displayed last week.

Also, seems like books/movies until the next star are only displayed when you already have one.

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version