766 messages over 96 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 52 ... 95 96 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 409 of 766
13 June 2014 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
I don't know how to state more clearly that this is not what I mean. I certainly understand the preference to tweet entire books and not every 50 or 100 pages. And it's also understandable if someone doesn't have an internet connection. But delaying a tweet just to avoid breaking the chain is imo not okay.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5181 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 410 of 766
13 June 2014 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
Right now, there are 62 people who have at least one star, badge, or medal next to their name. I think the idea is cool to have them. It is nice to have that extra little incentive to do something. It really is.

But instead of trying to call out cheaters, can we just go by the honor system? This nitpicking is getting old.

The challenge is suppose to be fun. Let's just leave things the way they are!

It is very obvious that things are working well the way they currently are for the majority of challengers. It is absolutely amazing how much has been accomplished in the last 40-odd days. I am floored by a lot of people and what they've done. It is amazing.

So instead of worrying about little things, and what others are doing, let's celebrate that so much learning is being accomplished! :D

There are SIXTY-TWO PEOPLE who have completed at least 25 items, have logged something every week recently, or have read at least 50 pages and watched at least a movie in the last two weeks. That is AMAZING. Mind-blowing. CRAZY.

Cristina, you had such an amazing idea. Thank you for sharing it with us, and letting all of us participate with you. (And Surrealix for setting up the bot!) I'm looking forward to seeing a LOT of people at the finish line!! :D

Edited by Kerrie on 13 June 2014 at 2:13am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 411 of 766
13 June 2014 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
I'm not trying to call out anyone, especially you. I said I doubt anyone does this deliberately. But we did have some comments about "saving for a rainy day" and I think it should be acknowledged that it's no longer okay to tweet old items unless you've also done something during the current week.

(I admit I also think it's silly to have a secret movie marathon in order to get ahead, but that's a more short-term thing than the badges)

It's also not binary at all, and of course we all want to improve our language skills (I'm tired of the implication that I don't). The whole challenge and its different aspects matter to us in different ways, and there's no single right one. The whole challenge matters more to me than to many participants, so it's natural that the small things also matter more.

Edited by Serpent on 13 June 2014 at 5:41pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 412 of 766
13 June 2014 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
As far as I am concerned, the only thing I would consider cheating would be to report having covered material
that you have not read or watched. Otherwise every and any way of reporting what you have done is fine. I
am so proud of you all for all you have done, and I am deeply impressed by so many of you.

Keep up the good work, and remember having fun with this :-) You are doing this to improve your language
skills, the stars and the ranking is just an additional bonus.
10 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5262 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 413 of 766
13 June 2014 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Hey all,

Great French series... 'Un village français' with some actors from Engrenages

Overview quoted from the website below:

"This TV show describes the life of ordinary people in a small town of rural France
during the German occupation in WWII. It is extremely well documented, cleverly written
and very well played. The great plus of this series is that it meticulously analyzes
the mechanisms which brought some people to collaborate with the Germans and others to
resist, without judging, without falling into easy generalizations. The treatment of
the small communist cell's actions is particularly spot on. I highly recommend this
show to anyone interested in WWII, and anyone who wants to understand life during a
war, and how good people can come to serve a fascist regime"

--------------------------------------------

I unfortunately discovered that some really great series aren't offered with English
subtitles, one of them being "Un village français". Then I discovered this:

2009%E2%80%93/">Un village français (avec sous-titres en anglais)

(if the link doesn't work search: " Un village français dailyflix " and you will come
across the thread by Shamie- that's the right place)

Some really awesome person out there (Shamie) has systematically gone through almost
every episode (so far 4 and three-quarter seasons) and added in their own English
subtitles. From a glance they 'seem' effective. There isn't a lot of feedback within
the thread, but some very positive posts and no negative ones. I had a look and it
works no problems whatsoever. You just need to navigate your way around a barrage of
pop ups and adds. Despite being prompted to install this and that driver, it's BS, you
don't need to install anything from this website, and one of the play buttons is not a
play button but a 'trap' that pops up more adds.

To access an episode:
* Find the website/thread above
* Clink on the link to the episode you want
* Another window opens - DON'T - press play, but scroll down and click on "Continue to
video"
* (More pop up windows will open, just close them)
* another window opens with TWO play buttons - the REAL one is on the left
* Or you can get a hold of the .avi file by clicking 'download link' in red just below
the screen image

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 13 June 2014 at 10:06am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 414 of 766
13 June 2014 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
*Get adblock plus or similar

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5022 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 415 of 766
13 June 2014 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Hey all,

I unfortunately discovered that some really great series aren't offered with English
subtitles, one of them being "Un village français".

I did try to watch this, but couldn't find it on the internet, so thanks for the link. I have a question though. Why do you want English subtitles?

I've personally found that if I watch a show with English subtitles then I'm just reading English. So I normally try to find TV series or movies without subtitles which forces me to concentrate on the language and the actors very hard in order to understand. This means of course that I don't understand everything, and I end up watching things over and over. But aside from this obvious disadvantage, don't you think you'd be better off without subtitles?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5181 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 416 of 766
13 June 2014 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Nice find! Merci beaucoup. :)

rdearman wrote:
I have a question though. Why do you want English subtitles?

I've personally found that if I watch a show with English subtitles then I'm just reading English. So I normally try to find TV series or movies without subtitles which forces me to concentrate on the language and the actors very hard in order to understand. This means of course that I don't understand everything, and I end up watching things over and over. But aside from this obvious disadvantage, don't you think you'd be better off without subtitles?

It really depends on your level. If you are at a lower level, your comprehension rate may not be enough to keep your interest. At the earlier stages, I consider it a little more like listening/reading. It's actually very effective until a certain point. :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version