PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5262 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 434 of 766
01 July 2014 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
What are we meaning here by the word "articles" exactly?

I often read websites in French, but since it's seems too hard to work out how to add it
into my reading and i'm already doing so many calcuations with my study time over various
activities, I don't bother counting it.

If I can count such material, how?

(sorry I'm sure it's been made clear already, I had to first come to terms with the
concept of the SC, get started and it's only now thinking I could prob count "articles" -
if that means websites)
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3930 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 435 of 766
01 July 2014 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
I print out several articles per week from a variety of sources - but mostly BBC Mundo. Each full page (with the
font size that I use for printing) has about 400 words, so I've been counting each page as a page for the SC. If an
article is 2.5 pages, I've been counting it as two. I read the articles intensively, highlighting and scribbling notes
in the margins. Then I read them again for fluency - but I've only been counting them once for the SC. I find that
it provides a very nice balance to the extensive reading that I've been doing (Percy Jackson novels, for the most
part). It takes me a lot longer to read a page of an article than it does to read a page of a book.

I wouldn't log random websites, forums and blogs, in large part because I read *differently* online, no matter
what the language is. I don't pay as much attention to the subtleties of language. I'm more likely to skim.

All that said, I just wanted to confirm that my intensive-reading articles were acceptable for the SC, seeing as
how they're not actually "books". I have no problem omitting them from my SC twitter log, and just logging
novels instead. When I first decided to join the SC, I think I got overwhelmed by the sheer volume of posts
discussing it, and my brain just fixated on "50 pages"! I'll read those articles whether or not I can log them, and if
I don't hear any differently from the Challenge organizers, then I'll just keep logging them the way that I have
been. .

Happy reading (and watching!) everyone!
S

edited to add a bit of info

Edited by Stelle on 01 July 2014 at 2:44pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 436 of 766
05 July 2014 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
You know you are overworked when you do not realize that it's the weekend until Saturday morning...
Anyway, how did the June mini-challenge go? I have not registered my results yet, but please everyone do so
before the end of the week end. Since it is Summer, I suggest that we are a bit lax on the timing :-)

The July challenge is the following:

Pick something you have both as text, audio and/or film (at least two of them) and do first one, then the other,
then come back to the first and see what improvements you have made, and try and describe them to us.

This one is an all month challenge, you are not limited to the week ends.

If you have no book which you also have as a film or an audiobook, then go to the end of your textbook, and
chose 3-4 of the most advanced lessons, and do it on them. If you have texts that you have used for L-R you
are of course all set. Alternatively you can search the Internet for audio/texts. Does not matter what you do.
Just have fun and stay motivated :-)

Personally I will use Harry Potter. I listened through all 12 hours of it last month, and I have started to listen to
it again this month, I will read the book, and if I can find the film I will do that too, and then listen to the
audiobook again

Go, go go! :-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4695 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 437 of 766
05 July 2014 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

The July challenge is the following:

Pick something you have both as text, audio and/or film (at least two of them) and do first one, then the other,
then come back to the first and see what improvements you have made, and try and describe them to us.

Love it! That's basically how I use books + audio: I usually listen to the audiobook 2-3 times, then read it, then listen again (or listen + read). Obviously it assumes you find the material interesting. Or the benefits motivate you to do it! So far, I've found it to be a very effective method.

For this challenge, I think I will use La tête d'un homme. I have already listened to it 3 times for the SC, but I haven't looked at the text yet. So I'll listen one more time, read it semi-intensively (looking up no more than 2-3 words per page), and then see what it's like to listen to again.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 438 of 766
05 July 2014 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Anyway, how did the June mini-challenge go?

I posted about all three of mine in the updates thread :)
The new challenge is awesome too :) does it matter whether you go through the full text or not? And whether you repeat the same part when you come back to it? :)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4695 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 439 of 766
07 July 2014 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
So is anyone else already thinking about what they want to do for the next Super Challenge? I
mean the one which commences in May 2016! I'm only thinking about it because I realize I have
neglected German for too long, and I want to get it up to speed to include next time round. To do
so, I will have to start doing so groundwork in the near future, and then study German hard in the
four months between Super Challenges. I have given a rough plan on my log:
Read post 66

Will I actually follow the plan? Of course not! But I will certainly work some German study into
my current timetable, which is the point of making this plan. I laughed a little at myself,
especially in the light of another thread about not broadcasting your goals. I now have a
tentative study plan taking me up to the end of 2017! But I realized that if I am to actually say
I study German, I need to do so while working on the current Super Challenge.

So who else is mad enough to have begun planning for the next Super Challenge?

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5022 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 440 of 766
07 July 2014 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

So who else is mad enough to have begun planning for the next Super Challenge?

Stupidly, yes I do, I still keep thinking about doing Mandarin for the SC next year, or 1/2 challenge this year. The snag here is I have to learn Chinese first to A2-B1 level, and all I know is Hello, and Do you speak Chinese.

This is a silly really because I am lagging behind in books for THIS year, let along worrying about NEXT year! Still you have to be a little bit mad to sign up in the first place.

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version