Diglot
United States
Joined 4044 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 457 of 766
12 July 2014 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I am a bit hesitant to radio, because mostly it would tend to blend into background noise. I
think we should
have more focus than that. However if you chose a particular radio programme that interests you, the fact
that it is on the radio itself does not disqualify it. It could be a programme on an author you like, or a novel
being read out, or a specific topic that holds your interest. But "30 minutes of random radio" is not my idea of
how this challenge would be.

Oops, sorry Solfrid, should have checked the archives! I don't agree, but that's fine; I still should have checked.

However, just to clarify my position (not trying to change your mind, no worries!), that isn't how I listen to the radio:
when I listen, it's never background noise, especially since I don't normally listen to the radio. Actually, I would say
listening intently to the radio would be more effective than watching a football (soccer) match, and listening to the
commentators' voices. I guess I'm not seeing why the football match watching would be allowed, but radio listening
would not. And many radio programs are available later as podcasts anyway...

Just my thoughts ;-) .
4 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 458 of 766
12 July 2014 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
I think the idea is that it needs to be focused listening.

My general philosophy is this: is it in line with the spirit of the challenge? If you are 100% focused on listening to whatever you are listening to, then use your judgement. You are the best judge of whether it will be a good learning tool for yourself.

Cristina has done an amazing job trying to be fair to everyone and to incorporate a lot of stuff that (in my mind) is really borderline. (Vivian, je suis d'accord, mais ça n'a pas d'importance pour moi. Ça ne me concerne pas.)

The fact is, you are not doing this challenge for Cristina. You are doing it for yourself. Use your best judgement with the goal of the challenge in mind. We are not competing with each other. We are competing with ourselves. We are challenging ourselves.

The goal is not to beat someone else, or to win. The goal is to make big progress.

Edited by Kerrie on 12 July 2014 at 4:26pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 459 of 766
12 July 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
As it was pointed out, some marathon runners participate to win and to compete with others, not just themselves. The tracking should be consistent between the participants. And don't think you can use French for speaking behind my back :D

Sports are allowed due to visual clues, and also because they can cure the "they speak too fast!!!" problem really fast ;) I agree that we should already stop judging whether others listen with enough focus or not, and this also goes for radio. I don't generally listen to the radio at all, and most movies bore me but I'm not going to assume the movie watchers aren't focused.

Speaking of that, one thing that's clearly not allowed is music, so be sure to exclude it from your radio listening :-) Sometimes it's less clear-cut though - do musicals count, for example?

Edited by Serpent on 12 July 2014 at 9:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3874 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 460 of 766
13 July 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,

I'm going to take part to a 3-week immersion in the Netherland, with courses, trips, etc. what does this equal? how many books and films? How do I calculate this?

I'm also going to be in Spain for 12 days (among which 20x50 min classes in a school) and will be housed in a family. what does it equal?

And to finish with, I'm going on Erasmus in the Netherlands for 5-5.5 months (so I have courses in Dutch and English (I study the Germanic languages)+ living in a Dutch environment)). What does it equal? ^^
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 461 of 766
13 July 2014 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
guiguixx1 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going to take part to a 3-week immersion in the Netherland, with courses, trips, etc. what does this equal? how many books and films? How do I calculate this?

I'm also going to be in Spain for 12 days (among which 20x50 min classes in a school) and will be housed in a family. what does it equal?

And to finish with, I'm going on Erasmus in the Netherlands for 5-5.5 months (so I have courses in Dutch and English (I study the Germanic languages)+ living in a Dutch environment)). What does it equal? ^^

Depends on how many books you read and movies you watch while you are there. :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 462 of 766
14 July 2014 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Well, it's also been established that theatre visits count. By this logic, I'd also count excursions and lectures, except the parts when you interact with the guide or professor respectively.

Edited by Serpent on 14 July 2014 at 3:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 463 of 766
14 July 2014 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Well, it's also been established that theatre visits count. By this logic, I'd also count excursions and lectures, apart from the parts when you interact with the guide or professor respectively.

Excursions? That seems rather broad. So if guiguixx1 visits a museum he can count the time a guide speaks to him? The next logical step will be that someone will want to count skype conversations (at least the part where the other person is speaking), because it's "the same as watching a film". Or someone will go on holiday and want to count time for hearing the language all around them.

Visiting a country, going on excursions, hearing lectures; all of these things are great for learning a language, but they are not what this challenge is about. Remember this is a book and film challenge. Cristina allowed audiobooks with "much hesitation" (her words). I understand therefore accepting things like podcasts and even listening to radio programmes (I would say "specific" radio programmes, rather than just turning the radio on and seeing what happens). But let's please stick to the challenge and not try to count everything we do for language learning.

I can't remember who said it, but I seem to remember someone saying to a newcomer "any listening counts." That would, of course, lead that newcomer to want to count things like conversations, or eavesdropping on the bus. That's why, when I explain the challenge to newcomers, I always say something like: it's about reading books and watching films, but the definition of "book" and of "film" can be stretched reasonably.

Let's take a world cup analogy. Obviously, it's against the rules to push another player, grab his shirt, etc. If you just do it a little bit, you can get away with it. But they can't state in the rules, "you can push a little bit", because then people will say, "well then, why can't I bite him?" Oh wait, somebody did do that!

Edited by Jeffers on 14 July 2014 at 4:33am

5 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5258 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 464 of 766
14 July 2014 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
I second Jeffers notion. Not that what I have to say would lend much weight to that side of the argument...

Anyway thanks to Ron (aka rlnv) I've discovered the podcast "News in Slow French" which i'm using as fillers
in moments i'd rarely be exposed to any French. Regardless of what the rules state i was considering today
whether I should count these as part of my reading. I haven't counted any of it yet and i'm still quite reluctant
to do so. Le'ts face it listening to the news in French spoken at a slow pace is NOT reading a book. I think
audio books should be allowed provided you're involved in the material in an intently focused manner but
beyond that it's plain bullshit IMO. I found some French commentary this morning for the later stages of the
World Cup final to go with my muted tv watching. I'd never consider including this. Exactly as Jeffers states
this is about reading books (or at least reading) and watching movies/series. I think i'd be cheating myself to
include those other activities. Those activities I do include in my own expanded log for my own records, as
this challenge is about progressing as individuals.

On the other hand some people would clearly find it very motivating to included these other things that I
would not include. That's prob their form of motivation to absorb as much of the language as they can in all
kinds of manners or methods that suit their tastes or lifestyle. I know where they're coming from but for the
purpose of the challenge I don't agree with it. That's simply my opinion, i'm not endeavouring to exert control
over the rules here.

PM

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version